Home U.S. Coin Forum

so what makes a great buffalo nickel?

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 9, 2019 5:35AM in U.S. Coin Forum

What do people look for?

This is a 1938-D I own. Would this be considered sort of middle of the road average? Or something else. PCGS MS66.

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one is quite good.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"so what makes a great buffalo nickel?" "What do people look for?"

3 legs ???

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one you show could be number one in a lot of peoples books. But there are a lot of different reasons to like Buffs far beyond this post.

I'll let everyone profess their likes.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

To bad that the Mint started to get their strikes right toward the end of the Nickel run and not in the beginning or trying to save on die life and setting the presses to a lower striking pressure, they had plenty of dies available because of Philadelphia and San Francisco had been told to start getting ready for the "New Jefferson" nickel and told that there would be No Buffalo Production from either of them. By the way that is a very Nice 38-D you have.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful Buffalo.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO above average not a monster.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

a strong strike with the resulting strong luster.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

a strong strike with the resulting strong luster.

Good start but a grease stain, planchette flaw, etc takes it out of great no matter how nice the strike/luster.

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2019 6:27AM

By the way, does anyone else remember that weak acid in a bottle that you could buy back in the 1960's that would "bring back" the dates on dateless worn buffalo nickels pulled from circulation? That kind of makes me cringe now. Dropping acid on a coin.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is still available and asked for by collectors.

• FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2019 1:11PM

I found a twin brother
    Look at the nearly identical die 'corrosion' around the neck and chin area.

• John2000John2000 Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

Some very nice Buffs shown here. I like the sunset toning on the OP reverse.

I may not know what I'm doing most of the time, but I'm Damn good at it. 😇 😈

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    By the way, does anyone else remember that weak acid in a bottle that you could buy back in the 1960's that would "bring back" the dates on dateless worn buffalo nickels pulled from circulation? That kind of makes me cringe now. Dropping acid on a coin.

Certainly! And they sold a similar product for dateless Standing Liberty quarters.

• BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2019 2:47PM

This is one of two slabbed bufs I own. MS65. I'm considering selling it,but for a premium over the PCGS price because of the toning. It's a Type 1 toned which makes it difficult for my to part with though.

This one's staying put in my collection. MS67+

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:

Well, dropping acid was pretty normal then. LOL

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CircCam said:

This is my favorite buffalo of all the examples I’ve owned- it’s really stunning in hand. Will likely upgrade down the road at some point for an example with more colors when the right one comes around but pleased for now.

Can only speak for myself but to answer the OP question, I look for the same things I look for in any MS coin- eye appeal, luster and strike.

Spectacular example

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

The first has a better strike and outstanding color so, in spite of a one point lower grade, that would be the one I'd keep.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was marveling over a cameo the other day Does anyone have 8 grand I can borrow?

Forget it! I was kidding. OK.......

Lots of great examples shown here, too!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    What do people look for?

Full strike, original MS and no tarnish/toning

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what I look for in a Buff - great surrounding plastic. :D

Thanks for the post - nice to see what a fully struck Buff looks like, down to complete definition of the hoofs.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • @WingedLiberty1957 said:
    What do people look for?

The buffalo nickel has been my favorite since I started collecting coins in the 1960s. My favorite wasn't in mint state. It was a 1914 that I found in circulation more than 50 years ago. It had a full date and a slight greenish tint on the low points. I don't know what ever happened to that coin, but I still remember it. It had already become hard to find buffalo nickels in circulation by the 1960s. That coin was in the best condition of any that I found from the teens.

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

@FullHorn said:

I found a twin brother
    Look at the nearly identical die erosion around the neck and chin area.
    I've heard some refer to die rust or 'corrosion' in these spots. Erosion is something different. Never the less I love that luster and toning on these nickels.

• JGRCJGRC Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

A crazyhounddog label

• FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

@FullHorn said:

I found a twin brother
    Look at the nearly identical die erosion around the neck and chin area.
    I've heard some refer to die rust or 'corrosion' in these spots. Erosion is something different. Never the less I love that luster and toning on these nickels.

I stand corrected. I will edit my post. Thanks

@crazyhounddog said:

The design of the buffalo nickel is the main reason they are so beautiful. Then the strike, luster, lack of blemishes and of course I like a splash of color😊

No one beats Joe for amazing color Buffs.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, when you're dealing with a series with strike issues (Peace, SLQs, buffs), a strongly struck example is important. That said, what really struck me about Angel Dee's outstanding set was LUSTER. Yes, they had color too, but the luster was really impressive. Many, many 38-D coins come nice. Here's my nice but not stellar example:

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2019 8:57PM

A lot of great examples in this thread.........but let me re-post a Buff Proof which exhibits strike not possible on MS coins:
    PR67.5 Angel Dees Photo

TrueView Photo

I bought this coin from Angel Dees on the rebound after the original purchaser did not like it. I understand that it didn't match his set?

OINK

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    What do people look for?

This is a 1938-D I own. Would this be considered sort of middle of the road average? Or something else. PCGS MS66.

My first thought was " Oh wow! ".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file