Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Half Dime Variety NEWP - 1858 RPD FS-301

ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got this TrueView back. The repunched date is pretty clear.

A shout out to Brian Greer for helping put this nice little variety piece in my collection. Always a pleasure to deal with!

XF45

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2019 5:21AM

Cool.
    This is the V-10.
    Apparently first discovered by Kam Ahwash or Walter Breen in 1975.
    I managed to find one in a group lot on ebay last year (will post photos later).

There is an interesting die state, where you can apparently see the inverted date (V-9) in the clash on the reverse.

@MrHalfDime wrote this in 2007:

Sometime after the "1858 Over Inverted Date" variety was discovered, a new and distinctly different variety was discovered for the same date ( 1858 ) which also exhibits a repunched date, and which also strongly suggests the use of a four digit gang punch. For this new variety, the date was also strongly repunched, but on this new variety the first-struck digits were punched right-side-up, but were merely punched too high (too close to the base of the rock). The die sinker again realized the blunder, lapped the die, and repunched the date numerals a second time in the proper position. For this variety, the under-digits can be seen within and underneath the final digits, rather than in between the final digits, as on the previous variety.

It has been suggested by others that the "1858 Doubled Date" V-10 is approximately ten times as scarce as the "1858 Over Inverted Date" V-9, and this approximate rarity relationship has held up over time. The V-9 Inverted Date variety is available with only a little searching, but the obverse die is extremely weakly struck, leading people to undergrade it. Consequently, high grade (AU and MS) examples are infrequently seen.

• Options
    edited October 22, 2019 3:58PM

@yosclimber said:
    It has been suggested by others that the "1858 Doubled Date" V-10 is approximately ten times as scarce as the >"1858 Over Inverted Date" V-9, and this approximate rarity relationship has held up over time.

I've seen many of the FS-302 Inverted Date while I searched for this FS-301. Yes, that does seem to be true!

I'll have to take it out soon and examine it more. I can't get to it tonight, but I'm curious as to what caused that rectangle between the S and T in STATES which appears on my example and the one you have pictured. Off hand I don't see what would relate to that on the obverse other than possibly the left edge of the rock.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

• Options
    edited October 23, 2019 5:19AM

Here's my V-10. EF-40, I think.
    A bit easier to photograph, since it's raw.

Yes, I believe the clash line between ST comes from the notch between the left base and the rock.

Your coin has a double clash line from TA to F; I plan to call it V-10a in the guide.
    The V-10 seems to always have at least a single clash line.

• Options

Here's my unattributed V-10 pick from a couple of years ago.

• Options

Yes on the clash mark. Intersection of the rock and the base.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Turns out my other V-10, a raw F12 coin, has the "double reverse clash line from TA to F" Clint intends to designate as V-10a.

• Options
    toyonakatarotoyonakataro Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

I bought this coin from Heritage as DDO in 2005

• Options

@HDCollector said:
    Turns out my other V-10, a raw F12 coin, has the "double reverse clash line from TA to F" Clint intends to designate as V-10a.

Welcome aboard! Nice coin!

toyonakataro, That's some amazing color! What's it graded?

• Options
    toyonakatarotoyonakataro Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

toyonakataro, That's some amazing color! What's it graded?

Thanks. It's graded MS63 by NGC

• Options
    edited October 30, 2019 1:37PM

Wow, spectacular V-10!
    I haven't done the full census, but this is one of 3 that I know of at present in mint state.
    The others are the ex-Gardner MS-64 and an MS-63 in the Frank J. Petersen collection.
    There is no way I could have attributed it from the 2005 photo (the Heritage photos were usually pretty small until 2010),
    but it's easy to see all the under digits in your newer photo.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2019 2:58PM

@MrHalfDime managed to find 3 V-10s in about 4 decades of searching - the above AU-50, and 2 EF-45s.
    He was never able to post photos of his coins, although he wanted to. So I'm making up for lost time.

• Options

Spectacular underdate on that one Clint!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very neat variety! I am looking for one of those for my variety type set.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Word on the street is still that there are 10 of the "inverted date" variety out there for every one of the repunched variety. I have a nicely toned PCGS AU-something (55?) for the repunched date, and I felt lucky to locate it. The repunched date variety is easy to overlook, as it really requires a magnifier to spot it unless you have very good eyes.

• Options

@rhedden said:
    Word on the street is still that there are 10 of the "inverted date" variety out there for every one of the repunched variety.

I've read that before and from my experience in searching for this piece I have no doubt it's true. In fact I would be willing to double that!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice I like

• Options

@rhedden said:
    Word on the street is still that there are 10 of the "inverted date" variety out there for every one of the repunched variety. I have a nicely toned PCGS AU-something (55?) for the repunched date, and I felt lucky to locate it. The repunched date variety is easy to overlook, as it really requires a magnifier to spot it unless you have very good eyes.

Sounds about right.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file