Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Double eagles migrating back to the U.S.

I see the coins dealers selling dozens of later type three and saints for sale on the tv coin marketing shows. Has anyone become aware of a really rare type one or two Liberty DE showing up? If so what dates and mint marks are on them. The PCGS pop numbers are no changing for the tough type ones but I am curious if anyone has seen a key date branch mint coin show up in XF or better.
I would think the Europeans have gone through these coins long age before letting them go for something just above melt value but nothing surprises me any more.

I have not seen an increase of these quality coins going through heritage or the TPG entities. I am no longer pursuing these coins but own a few and I am going to let them go. Just don't have the bug any more.

Any and all informed comments welcome.

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2019 5:32PM

It's a great time to be a stacker is all I know. Historic Pre-33 gold into the mid-MS at or below spot available everywhere.

It's either migrating in droves or the Chinese/Russian/Ukranian/NorthKorean/Turkish/Syrian/Iranian fakes are getting so good even the "experts" can no longer tell the difference. Semper Fi!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldgoldlover said:
    I see the coins dealers selling dozens of later type three and saints for sale on the tv coin marketing shows. Has anyone become aware of a really rare type one or two Liberty DE showing up? If so what dates and mint marks are on them. The PCGS pop numbers are no changing for the tough type ones but I am curious if anyone has seen a key date branch mint coin show up in XF or better.
    I would think the Europeans have gone through these coins long age before letting them go for something just above melt value but nothing surprises me any more.

I have not seen an increase of these quality coins going through heritage or the TPG entities. I am no longer pursuing these coins but own a few and I am going to let them go. Just don't have the bug any more.

I am clueless as to the best way to go forward.

I ask myself.....

Am I better off owning 40 type 3 common $20 gold eagles

or

(1) $58,000 rare coin?

It's two different plays.

The answer.....

I'll let you know in 20 years.

• Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Labelman87 said:
    here is the 79-O PCGS XF45

Nice looking circulated '79-O double eagle! What a great date/mint as the only Type Three New Orleans double eagle with only 2,325 minted.

Thanks for posting it.

• Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@BloodMan said:
    Doug Winter wrote an article on this subject earlier in the year.

In the Fairmont Collection, there were many, many common date double eagles found, but rarer Type One and Two dates were limited, eg, 1859, 1862, and 1863 double eagles. To date, there have been no 1854-O, 1855-O, 1856-O, 1860-O, or 1861-O, and just a single example of the 1859-O and the 1879-O.

https://raregoldcoins.com/blog/tag/Fairmont+Collection

Thank you very much for the response. I am not shocked to hear that the coins with a pop below 200 in all grades were not found. I hear people say the type one market is going to be heavily effected abut the common saints and type three libs will be beaten down. I do not believe an increase in common material will have any effect of the key date coin market. I do feel that a gold bug should buy the common type libs and unc saints that are common are probably over sold now.

I don't buy gold as an investment and the only time I owned any significant amount was the 2008 crash. Gold hit $25k and I stopped out my position when it hit 24k/oz. It was at that time it began to sell off and I went back into quality common stocks, boring stuff like Microsoft and Boeing.

Thanks again for you time and help.

• Options

@Labelman87 said:

In hand, It has a very good "look" versus the images.

Thanks for showing. I collect New Orleans coins and would like to know why the mint struck a 1879 O for one year with such a low pop. makes no sense to me but one thing is for certain and that is a great coin you posted. I doubt any more will come back from banks in Europe.

• Options

@jkrk said:

@oldgoldlover said:

I am clueless as to the best way to go forward.

I ask myself.....

Am I better off owning 40 type 3 common $20 gold eagles

or

(1) $58,000 rare coin?

It's two different plays.

The answer.....

I'll let you know in 20 years.

Quality, low pop and time will win out over the long haul every time. I would get one nice branch mint DE in au PCGS graded. Either you or your heirs will really be happier.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2019 4:24AM

Gold hit $24k/oz? When was this?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

In the Rosen Report, maybe?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins in this thread!

• Options

@jmski52 said:

@jmski52 said:

I was tired, $2,400 in 2008. It went up to $$25/oz when everyone was scared.

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    It's a great time to be a stacker is all I know. Historic Pre-33 gold into the mid-MS at or below spot available everywhere.

It's either migrating in droves or the Chinese/Russian/Ukranian/NorthKorean/Turkish/Syrian/Iranian fakes are getting so good even the "experts" can no longer tell the difference. Semper Fi!

With a GNP of $14 billion I doubt anyone in North Korea knows much about DEs. Faking them is tough and selling them below spot is where you should get suspicious.

The European banks are selling them for a small premium over spot as they would rather have gold bars than coins.

I would avoid all the common dates but the gold coin market is tough now because of the influx. Hopefully it will make collecting these coins more affordable for many.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still on the look out for some decent type examples for my collection!

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Labelman87 said:

In hand, It has a very good "look" versus the images.

I love this coin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file