My vote is for Hoosiers... Goosebumps every time

Plus 1

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

Caddyshack

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Hickory High gymnasium was just a couple towns over from where I grew up ;)

Caddyshack
    Happy Gilmore
    Seve The Movie

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hoosiers and Rocky are neck and neck into the final stretch...and it’s...Hoosiers by a nose!

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kingpin. Freakin hilarious.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 449 ✭✭✭✭

The Rookie.....

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Rudy 2: He’s the Colonel Now

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bull Durham

Nuke (tied to the bed): ooh, i've heard of stuff like this.

Annie: yeah? have you ever heard of walt whitman?

Nuke: no. who's he play for?

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bull Durham gets my vote. Many of the "sports" movies are not really about the sport.

When Nuke is told to "hit the mascot" and then does, it cracks me up all the time. "I wouldn't dig in there if I were you" ;-)

Hoosiers might have been a better Hollywood movie, but it was more about Coach Dales "redemption" and how he finds love.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Rudy" is pretty close to the top for me.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

major league and Friday night lights

• Options

Bull Durham is without a doubt my favorite baseball movie.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

The scout
    The rookie
    Fever pitch
    Invincible
    We are Marshall

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Field of Dreams

• Options
    GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Slap Shot was a great one

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

Bad News Bears. Not the remake.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

Eight Men Out was pretty good

Jim

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@CommemKing said:

I hate that movie. What a loser. Let’s give everyone a participation trophy.

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

In no particular order:

Bull Durham
    Hoosiers
    Miracle
    Rocky

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@firstbase23 said:
    In no particular order:

Bull Durham
    Hoosiers
    Miracle
    Rocky

Great list! You need a football movie, original "Longest Yard"?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

A League of Their Own.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pride of the Yankees!

Steve

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Bull Durham gets my vote. Many of the "sports" movies are not really about the sport.

When Nuke is told to "hit the mascot" and then does, it cracks me up all the time. "I wouldn't dig in there if I were you" ;-)

>
    My brother-in-law played for the actual Durham Bulls. He said the movie was basically a documentary.

• Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

Still get a chuckle today when I think of Major League.

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

Brian's song

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 6:12AM

A lot of great choices are listed here so far, so I'll change it up and add some documentaries to the discussion:

(2002) A City on Fire: The Story of the '68 Detroit Tigers (gets into how the 1968 Tigers were well-timed to help lift spirits after the 1967 Detroit riots)
    (1987) The Boys on the Bus (this is a 1986-87 Edmonton Oilers documentary)
    (2011) El Clasico: More Than A Game (documentary on Barcelona vs. R.Madrid)
    (2017) Icarus
    (2014) Red Army

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Bull Durham gets my vote.

love that movie

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

Jaws.

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

Caddyshack
    Slap Shot
    Sandlot
    Miracle

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

The Natural and Chariots of Fire come to mind.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

Not greatest, but other classics:

The Color of Money
    Over the Top

• Options

Bang The Drum Slowly

• Options

@firstbase23 said:
    In no particular order:

Bull Durham
    Hoosiers
    Miracle
    Rocky

My top three are on this list. I will replace Miracle with The Blind Side and Jerry Maguire. Yes, I just increased the number of movies on the list to five. :)

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Porky's

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 6:31PM

I'm rarely like sports related films. With that said...

Rocky Brilliant film with exception to the actual boxing seems which were not done well.
    Bad News Bears

On the flip side...I love surf/skate related movies.

North Shore
    Blue Crush
    Point Break

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Strange Brew

Caddy shack

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    A lot of great choices are listed here so far, so I'll change it up and add some documentaries to the discussion:

(2002) A City on Fire: The Story of the '68 Detroit Tigers (gets into how the 1968 Tigers were well-timed to help lift spirits after the 1967 Detroit riots)
    (1987) The Boys on the Bus (this is a 1986-87 Edmonton Oilers documentary)
    (2011) El Clasico: More Than A Game (documentary on Barcelona vs. R.Madrid)
    (2017) Icarus
    (2014) Red Army

Add "Russian Five" to this list.

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Slap Shot. "You do that, you go to the box, you know. Two minutes by yourself and...you feel shame, you know. And then you get free."

@Rttrffg2012 said:
    Anyone ever watch a movie called Amazing Grace and Chuck?

I always thought Gregory Peck LOOKED like a president.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

@markj111 said:

@CommemKing said:

I hate that movie. What a loser. Let’s give everyone a participation trophy.

First time I have ever heard a review like that for Rudy. You might be dead inside.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

• Options

And we might need to look at what falls into sports because bowling is more of a game I think. Same with golf. As much as I love Caddyshack & Kingpin - comedy gold or not. I respect them but still.

Sandlot holds a special place in my heart.
    Rudy
    Rocky 1-4
    The Fighter
    Trouble with the Curve
    Goon
    White Men Can't Jump
    Moneyball
    Miracle
    Seabiscuit & Secretariat (another questionable sport, the horse is doing all the work)
    I know I gave like 25 but I love movies. You're welcome.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2019 1:26PM

How about a vintage 1949 picture - The Stratton Story. Anybody seen it? It's probably my favorite. It stars Jimmy Steward and June Allison. It is a true story about Monty Stratton, who pitched for the White Sox in the 1930s. He had a hunting accident and shot his leg. It had to be amputated to save his life. He ended up pitching again in a minor league all star game with a prosthetic leg.

I actually own a original studio photograph as well as signed index cards by Jimmy Steward, June Allison, and Monty Stratton. I have been looking for a Frank Morgan and Agnes Moorehead for years, but they are hard to come by.

I know black and white old movies is not most people's cup of tea, but I really enjoy and good classic!

Shane

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Air23GOAT said:
    And we might need to look at what falls into sports because bowling is more of a game I think. Same with golf. As much as I love Caddyshack & Kingpin - comedy gold or not. I respect them but still.

Please share whatever you're smoking and/or what you're using to define 'sport'.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also like to add Sandlot. I was in middle school when that movie first came out. I think anyone who grew up playing baseball with their neighborhood friends can understand how great that movie is. It's just a beautiful movie.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@Air23GOAT said:

Please share whatever you're smoking and/or what you're using to define 'sport'.

Big golfer or bowler are ya?

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2019 4:03PM

sandlot is great

everyone I know who doesn't even like sports loves that movie

it’s why baseball should be king, it’s fun

• Options
    edited October 18, 2019 4:10PM

@Air23GOAT said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@Air23GOAT said:

“Obviously you’re not a golfer”

Big Lewbowski.

• Options

@artee said:

@Air23GOAT said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@Air23GOAT said:

“Obviously you’re not a golfer”

Big Lewbowski.

Nice. Another hilarious movie.

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    The Hickory High gymnasium was just a couple towns over from where I grew up ;)

Illinois has a similar basketball David vs. Goliath history with Hebron, Illinois, which had 98 students in its school beating the Quincy, Illinois high school with over 1000 students for the state championship. In those days these were no classifications for school size as all were lumped into the same division so the Hebron team beating the Quincy team was what Hollywood movies were made of. There are several parallels drawn between the Hebron win and the movie Hoosiers and having grown up a few miles from Hebron, Illinois and having been in their gymnasium, I can attest to the fact that stepping into that gym is like stepping back in time to the 1940's and 50's. If I close my eyes I can almost hear the footsteps of these high school heroes still playing in that hallowed gymnasium.

The athletic prowess of these Hebron Giants did not stop at graduation as these farm boys all went on to receive scholarships to play for the University of Illinois, Northwestern University and Valparaiso University. The interesting item is that the two of the starters were the Judson twins who's older brother, an earlier graduate of Hebron High School was Howie Judson who had a lengthy career in Major League Baseball as a pitcher with the Chicago White Sox and Cincinnati Reds from 1948 to 1954. He can be found in many Topps and Bowman baseball issues from this time frame as well as in tough regional issues as well. Howie was brought in to be a coach with the 1952 team and helped to direct his brothers and the rest of the team to the championship.

They still celebrate this basketball championship in Hebron by painting the town's water tower like a basketball which can be seen below.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!