Home Q & A Forum

Extreme RPM COINS...

I need help figuring out how many mint marks, direction and what's on top of what,also a weird number "5" give me your knowledge,what do you think?

s

Best Answer

Answers

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2019 7:56PM

The anomaly with the MM looks to be a post mint hit that smashed the letter.

Currently, these are some of the known RPMs for 1955 S:

http://varietyvista.com/02a LC RPMs Vol 1/RPMs 1955S.htm

The five might be die chip. http://www.error-ref.com/die-chips/

• @Hemispherical said:

Thanks is a 1951-S I think I found one similar in the same website.

@Infamustrueerrors said:

@Hemispherical said:

Thanks is a 1951-S I think I found one similar in the same website.

1908-1958 listing:

http://varietyvista.com/02a LC RPMs Vol 1/Repunched Mintmarks.htm

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

As @Hemispherical said, the the S took a hit. Copper is a soft metal and you can see where it's spread a little from the impact.

The 5 has a die chip. It's not uncommon to find these on wheat cents from the 50s. It is a mint error, but really doesn't add any value.

The 53-S looks normal

BTW: didn't realize it at first, but it looks like you posted multiple coins. That can get confusing if you think there is only 1 coin. Also, if you use variety vista, the diagnostics need to match EXACTLY. If it's only close, you don't have it

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • @Oldhoopster said:
    As @Hemispherical said, the the S took a hit. Copper is a soft metal and you can see where it's spread a little from the impact.

The 5 has a die chip. It's not uncommon to find these on wheat cents from the 50s. It is a mint error, but really doesn't add any value.

The 53-S looks normal

BTW: didn't realize it at first, but it looks like you posted multiple coins. That can get confusing if you think there is only 1 coin. Also, if you use variety vista, the diagnostics need to match EXACTLY. If it's only close, you don't have it

Yeah they are all different coins and I did match a bunch of them to the variety Vista examples but they do not have all RPMs or I might have a couple new varieties,I'll try to adjust the brightness of my cheap USB camera to get all the details,like the 53 s has a horizontal S across and the picture shows only a tiny bit curve on the bottom left,below half of the regular S,also I have a good amount of RPMs from 1960s and 70s

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

You may want to look at the demand for circulated RPM's and even BU ones. If you are doing it to learn that is one thing, if you are doing it thinking there is extra value you may want to spend your time on other things. By the time you pay fees & ship a $1 coin there is not much left.

Take a look at sold listings and see how much time you want to spend.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=LINCOLN+CENT+RPM&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&_sop=15

• InfamustrueerrorsInfamustrueerrors Posts: 99
    edited October 8, 2019 4:42PM

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    You may want to look at the demand for circulated RPM's and even BU ones. If you are doing it to learn that is one thing, if you are doing it thinking there is extra value you may want to spend your time on other things. By the time you pay fees & ship a $1 coin there is not much left.

Take a look at sold listings and see how much time you want to spend.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=LINCOLN+CENT+RPM&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&_sop=15

Not to sell,for personal collections.unless I find something really rare or unique.

edited October 8, 2019 6:52PM

I understand your excitement. Please keep in mind that the examples you posted did not sell for the amount you are seeing. The first example (1946 S/S) actually sold for less than $16. Here is the proof, notice the sort by.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1946+cent+rpm+2&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&_sop=15

I am unable to find the actual selling price for the 1942 S

OT.

Seems 92roll has been soft bammed. Good job mods!

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    OT.

Or shadow banned, whatever they call it...

Yes, like another poster several months ago who was similarly handled, they continue to post but no one can see their rants. :*

edited October 9, 2019 11:10AM

@JBK said:

@Hemispherical said:
    OT.

Or shadow banned, whatever they call it...

Yes, like another poster several months ago who was similarly handled, they continue to post but no one can see their rants. :*

Same person is my guess. That other nicname did like to take them close-up pics and make some “fantastic” assertions. Still see a random post of .... “green gem.”

• @ifthevamzarockin said:
    I understand your excitement. Please keep in mind that the examples you posted did not sell for the amount you are seeing. The first example (1946 S/S) actually sold for less than $16. Here is the proof, notice the sort by.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1946+cent+rpm+2&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&_sop=15

I am unable to find the actual selling price for the 1942 S

Yeah eBay doesn't really post the price paid when there are accepted offers,either way I'm not planning (or worth) selling the ones in my pictures.im actually getting the most information I can about a unique new error coin discovery.A 2018-D Jefferson Nickel, partial collar coin with "rail road rim", malfunction of the striking press, improperly seated in the collar causing partial reading,could be a test piece for metallurgical die trial,wrong proof planchet for a D minted coin,I think the highest grade recorded is a ms68,this will top that and full steps, and the first proof Jefferson Nickel with partial collar error...

Proof coins should have FS.

"A 2018-D Jefferson Nickel, partial collar coin with "rail road rim", malfunction of the striking press, improperly seated in the collar causing partial reading,could be a test piece for metallurgical die trial,wrong proof planchet for a D minted coin,I think the highest grade recorded is a ms68,this will top that and full steps, and the first proof Jefferson Nickel with partial collar error..."

A proof Denver mint with partial reeding from trial dies on a wrong proof planchet.
    Hard to argue with that, let us know your grading results. :)

"A 2018-D Jefferson Nickel, partial collar coin with "rail road rim", malfunction of the striking press, improperly seated in the collar causing partial reading,could be a test piece for metallurgical die trial,wrong proof planchet for a D minted coin,I think the highest grade recorded is a ms68,this will top that and full steps, and the first proof Jefferson Nickel with partial collar error..."

A proof Denver mint with partial reeding from trial dies on a wrong proof planchet.
    Hard to argue with that, let us know your grading results. :)

That is the reason of sharing it,to know what other people can see ,because once I think I know the error and I match it with an example, is hard hard to see it from another's angle.i don't know how much it will be to grade it,so I'm not sending it for now.

"once I think I know the error and I match it with an example"

Please show us an example of a proof Denver mint with partial reeding from trial dies on a wrong proof planchet that matches your coin.

edited October 11, 2019 7:30AM

@Hemispherical said:
    OT.

Agree but may already be back with an alt. ;)

• @Hemispherical said:
    Proof coins should have FS
    Please show us an example of a proof Denver mint with partial reeding from trial dies on a wrong proof planchet that matches your coin.

Exactly! There is none that's why this one is an error!! When I said match the errors I mean I found the reason and explanation for the anormalities in this coin from multiple and different other cases on error coins.
    Or show me another Denver nickel partial collar error,partial reading and with that finishing tone.

Let's take this one step at a time.

Show us any proof Denver coin.

Let's take this one step at a time.

Show us any proof Denver coin.

😂😂😂

You do realize Denver doesn't make proof coins?????

• I know Denver doesn't .that's why is an ERROR, supposed to have the S mint mark and all the missing details... Do you realize is not a regular business Denver coin?

"Do you realize is not a regular business Denver coin?"

If it has a D on it that is exactly what it is.

"Do you realize is not a regular business Denver coin?"

If it has a D on it that is exactly what it is.

Discarding the proof part,as a business Denver,still not an ordinary coin,what about the third side markings and the missing or partial letters?

As far as your third side, nickels don't have edge reeding so we can rule that out. It may have had some type of ejection problem or got hung up in the collar somehow. The missing letters could be grease filled dies or it could be some sort of post mint damage. You were not at the mint when it was made & neither was I, to know exactly what happened at the mint or after it left the mint is not possible. Keep in mind that a coin damaged at the mint after it was stuck is still PMD unless it conforms with known minting problems. You are correct that it is not ordinary but it is not that unusual.

• @ifthevamzarockin and that's why I'm still looking to get as much info needed untill I get the right description. thank you

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@Hemispherical said:
    OT.

This guy is him as well. Just check his track record that Rare Bermuda Cent one post is worthless.

Just ignore him as all he wants to argue like all the previous one of his type.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giantsfan20 said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@Hemispherical said:
    OT.

This guy is him as well. Just check his track record that Rare Bermuda Cent one post is worthless.

I've been trying to help by providing useful explanations but it doesn't seem to be working. I forgot about the Bermuda Cent mess. Sorry, but it's not worth the effort anymore.

Best of luck with your collecting endeavours

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • @giantsfan20 said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@Hemispherical said:
    OT.

I don't know who you are talking about,or think Is me.but just for your information this is my one and only username.if you didn't like the conversation about the Bermuda coin you don't have to be in it,if you don't want to help.there is no need to tell people to ignore me because of your own and wrong judgement,comparing me to who knows who.that is what makes people leave or not want to join this forum.
    @Oldhoopster I take all the knowledge I can and I respect all advises and help from any one,I haven't disrespect anyone,you are not forced to answer my questions,but if you do,just don't use me for your made up false statements about me not agreeing and ignoring coin dealers advises when that never happened..that is just wrong. So if I called you up on that I have the right and the obligation of defending myself especially if that never happened...