Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Legion of Doom

I'm a lifelong Philadelphia Flyers fan. Sadly, I was born only a few years prior to the two times the franchise hoisted the Stanley Cup. I have been fortunate to watch some very talented players wear the orange and black and likely none more memorable than the Legion of Doom.

When one of my kids got me back into collecting several years ago, I did so with the goal of getting my collection out of boxes and in to the open where I could enjoy it. I've even gone so far as to digitize some of my favorite stuff.

One of the first ideas I had was to reunite the Legion of Doom forever in my office. Grabbing Lindros and LeClair 10s was really easy and accomplished fairly quickly with minimal investment. A Renberg 1992 Upper Deck 233 10 with a POP = 13 was a bit more elusive and I've been pursuing one for several years without seeing any for sale.

I'm not an overly patient person so my impatience was finally enough to drive me into the closet to pull out card boxes that I knew included the raw card I was chasing. I found two and submitted them to PSA in April with the hopes that I would at least hit 9 since the cards had likely been in the box mentioned for at least 25 years and a silly number of moves.

Happily the grades popped today for the sub and I was excited to read the following:

43146362 GEM MINT 10 1992 Upper Deck 233 Mikael Renberg
43146363 GEM MINT 10 1992 Upper Deck 233 Mikael Renberg

Not only did I beat 9, but hit 10 on both cards subbed! Time to get a frame!

Happy Friday collectors!

Comments

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, congrats on beating the odds!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Fortunately/unfortunately, I am old enough to remember the hoisting of the two Cups.

That first season of the Legion of Doom was the most dominant line I have ever seen. I don't recall announcers using the term "cycling the puck" prior to their emergence. Their ability to control shifts below the face-off dots was unparalleled. Too bad injuries, first to Renberg then to Lindros, derailed their dominance.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

NICE! I have been going through my cards and found a Lindros "Future Superstar" card. Hope I get a 10 when I send it in!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

@georgebailey2 said:
    Fortunately/unfortunately, I am old enough to remember the hoisting of the two Cups.

That first season of the Legion of Doom was the most dominant line I have ever seen. I don't recall announcers using the term "cycling the puck" prior to their emergence. Their ability to control shifts below the face-off dots was unparalleled. Too bad injuries, first to Renberg then to Lindros, derailed their dominance.

Yeah the excitement level when they were on the ice was unprecedented for me as a fan! Watching it all disintegrate so quickly was definitely disappointing!

• dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    NICE! I have been going through my cards and found a Lindros "Future Superstar" card. Hope I get a 10 when I send it in!

Good luck for sure! One of my favorite cards of all time!

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 10:58AM

I can’t be the only one opening this thread thinking it was going to be about the Road Warriors.

• rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on that sub, and finishing off the PSA 10 collection! I remember watching them as a kid, they were absolutely dominant and the driving force behind me switching my collecting from baseball to hockey.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• @GreenSneakers said:
    I can’t be the only one opening this thread thinking it was going to be about the Road Warriors.

First thing I thought of also.

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:

As a Penguin fan, I hoped it wasn’t going to be about the Flyers... alas, I have bad memories of that line. Congrats on the grades!

Jim