Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Does anyone knows why there is no information or even pictures of a Bermuda 1985 1 cent?

I believe I might be the first or only one uploading a picture online of the Bermuda one cent,maybe the only one owning one

,I wanted to see others but i couldn't find anything.

Best Answers

• InfamustrueerrorsInfamustrueerrors Posts: 99

Hi, yes at least now I know the minting quantity produced,what is the name or title of that book? Now I need to find out why there's none of them out or for sale.thank you.

Answers

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 2000

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

And yet, sometimes coins from the 80s-00s can be extremely rare despite purported mintages. I will be on the lookout and see if I can find any. That is a very pleasant little coin regardless.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• I also have a 1999 Barbados 5 cents Royal minting,2nd coin I think is the only one out for sale.i found only 1 picture of a coin like mine,but when I clicked on it the page was removed.your book should at least have the quantity produced 👍:)

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2019 6:19PM

It could be that there aren't a lot for sale since:

A - they may not be worth anything

B - no one collects them

C - all of the above

Just because you can't find one for sale does not necessarily make it rare or valuable.

• D- they are hard to find.
    E - no one wants to sell it because it might be almost imposible to get another one.
    F - Answers A to C are wrong.
    Lol
    to@ jbk that is not what I want to know or stating, I'm curious to know why there are no others for the public to see, specially for a 5 cent coin minted 20 years ago,not to long for them to be this scarce.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Infamustrueerrors said:
    I'm curious to know why there are no others for the public to see, specially for a 5 cent coin minted 20 years ago,not to long for them to be this scarce.

If coins are valued low enough, it's not worth a seller's time to try to sell them individually. There is a current auction listing for one of these on eBay bid up to 60 cents. Assuming the auction closes around that amount, it will cost the seller more in fees and postage than he'll get from the sale.

Why do you think your coin is a unique transition year?

• I don't think is unique,as the only existing,maybe the only one in the internet maybe.i really like the design thought,i started looking for more but I didn't find any more.so I started asking if people know why there's non on the internet.looks like you found one,can you send me the link please,If the bid is that low Ill bid to get it.

• Nevermind found them :)

The reason you're not finding them on the internet is that they are not worth enough for people to go to the trouble of looking for them specifically and listing them for sale individually. At less than a million, the mintage isn't enormous but it's still common enough and is the sort of coin that shops will put in their "5 For A Dollar" world coin bins.

I am putting together a set of coins- one from each country that issued coins the year I was born. I have all the coins that retail for $5 and up, it's the ones with catalog values of less than a dollar that are hard to find. And not because they're rare.

edited September 12, 2019 7:46AM

I am putting together a set of all world coins so just because the big grading companies don't have them does not mean they have no market. If you like the coin then collect it. For me it is an adventure around the world and around the history of the changes and Empires.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

@MasonG said:

@Infamustrueerrors said:
    I'm curious to know why there are no others for the public to see, specially for a 5 cent coin minted 20 years ago,not to long for them to be this scarce.

If coins are valued low enough, it's not worth a seller's time to try to sell them individually. There is a current auction listing for one of these on eBay bid up to 60 cents. Assuming the auction closes around that amount, it will cost the seller more in fees and postage than he'll get from the sale.

Why do you think your coin is a unique transition year?

It is A transition year for the Observe was changed from Young Elizabeth to Current old Elizabeth. So Even if it is not considered much in value, it is a transition of sort. Meaning coin design change.

In GB they had a serious run on a few common issue coins like half pennies that started a craze of hoarding and are still worth a few buck more as a result. New Penny Half penny some with no strap on shoulder etc. All great for the coin collecting community at large.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the years, I have found that lots of coins are omitted from the world catalogs. I've always assumed it was a way to save space. We keep older editions around the office just for this reason. This happened two weeks ago but I don't remember the country or the coin denomination. Sorry, but t's not important enough to me to try to remember.

@Kkathyl said:
    It is A transition year for the Observe was changed from Young Elizabeth to Current old Elizabeth. So Even if it is not considered much in value, it is a transition of sort. Meaning coin design change.

Yes, it's the last year of the Young Elizabeth but it's not a transition year as the current design didn't begin until the next year. A transition year would be like 1909 in the US, when the transition from Indian cents to Lincoln cents was made and both designs were minted in that year.

I believe the OP's representation of the coin as a unique transition year issue in his eBay listing is incorrect.

• Yeah I do the same,I keep coins from the places I go,also ones on a blue moon I find foreign coins mixed on circulation,some others i get them from people I meet from other countries or trading from collections,I always like the Bermudas coins, Australia and Singapore, almost all of them have animals or an arc shield kind of logo similar to the Spanish coins.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not a rare coin. The Krause catalog lists the value as 10 cents, along with most of the other dates in the series. As someone else posted, you can find Bermuda cents in many “X coins for $1” pick boxes at many coin shops and coin shows. Since the value is low, it isn’t worth the effort to photograph and list coins like this for sale.

You need to use some common sense. Look at the price listing in the Krause catalog. I could understand why you might think it could be unusual to not find a picture of that specific date, but to continue to entertain the thought of it being rare after the replies you received is just silly.

Member of the ANA since 1982

Is that assertion or knowledge with potential citations?

I don't claim to know this coin but will point out an example that lends credence to the possibility of a coin being quite rare despite a high mintage and low catalog value:

Guyana 1978 Royal Mint (not Franklin Mint) 5c - with water lily reverse. This now lists at a princely 4.00 USD.
    I collect this country and in 30 years have found a grand total of ONE specimen. The mintage is usually listed as 2,000,000 although Krause has this erroneously listed as 2,000.

• There was never an statement saying is rare or valuable,just not easy to find on the INTERNET.i got the answers,prettyy much is because it's not worth the time it takes to photograph it and upload it.Also makes me wonder how come there's so many coins worth way less for example, India 1 rupee can be found in the internet extremely easy,worth 0.014 USD, not necessary posted online for sale or because is rare or worth more than face value,but maybe because there is a lot of them or also many people upload and post whatever they see...

@Infamustrueerrors said:
    There was never an statement saying is rare or valuable,just not easy to find on the INTERNET.

From the eBay listing:

"I checked everywhere for information, couldn't find even one picture,nothing for sale,PCGS HAS NOTHING ABOUT THIS COIN, HERITAGE HAS NO RECORDS EITHER,after you buy it if you get it certified,who knows how much will be worth as the only one or first graded 1895 1 cent Bermuda."

Sure seems to be suggesting that the coin is rare/valuable, IMO.

• Those are facts, there is no information listed on the mentioned online places,It would be the first one certified (if),as there is no records of any others. Who knows how much can be worth, I dont...doesn't say it will be hundreds of dollars or cents. A lot of collectors want to be the one with the first certified coin of it's kind,not because of its value but for bragging rights.

• RexfordRexford Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of these sold right on eBay (along with a Bermuda 10 Cent piece) for $0.60 and free shipping a few days ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BERMUDA-1-CENT-1985-10-CENTS-1970-SEP06/233334305785?hash=item3653cef3f9:g:LwYAAOSwMspdcpE6

A lack of coins graded at PCGS or NGC, or auction records at Heritage does not necessitate rarity. In fact, it indicates that the coin is probably common. It costs at least $50 including shipping to have a coin graded at PCGS or NGC. When a coin's value does not exceed $50, there is no incentive for people to submit them at a loss. Heritage would also likely not accept such a piece if it were consigned.

As an example, here is the PCGS population report for all graded coins from Bermuda.

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/bermuda/999/2549

As you can see, they have graded very few modern coins. In fact, they have only graded two dates for modern cents - 1970 and 1974. There are many other dates and types of modern coins from Bermuda, but they have not been submitted because it wouldn't be worth it to do so. You can also search any other dates in Heritage and will probably get the same lack of results.

• @Rexford said:
    One of these sold right on eBay (along with a Bermuda 10 Cent piece) for $0.60 and free shipping a few days ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BERMUDA-1-CENT-1985-10-CENTS-1970-SEP06/233334305785?hash=item3653cef3f9:g:LwYAAOSwMspdcpE6

A lack of coins graded at PCGS or NGC, or auction records at Heritage does not necessitate rarity. In fact, it indicates that the coin is probably common. It costs at least $50 including shipping to have a coin graded at PCGS or NGC. When a coin's value does not exceed $50, there is no incentive for people to submit them at a loss. Heritage would also likely not accept such a piece if it were consigned.

That's good to know, someone actually selling it and people buying it.i understand everything it's being said and I appreciate the information,also a 1982 USA Penny was sold recently for $15,000 nothing rate or special about it,just because of its high grade,i would like to think that whoever bought it,purchase it because they really liked it,not because it was worth that much.but a coin does not nessesary have to be valuable or rare for people to like it,I like my coin and it's pretty well preserved that is the reason I got it.if another one comes around with a nicer higher grade then it will be another story. All this information is very valuable to me thanks everyone.

edited September 14, 2019 9:10AM

@Infamustrueerrors said:

@Rexford said:

That's good to know, someone actually selling it and people buying it.i understand everything it's being said and I appreciate the information,also a 1982 USA Penny was sold recently for $15,000 nothing rate or special about it,just because of its high grade,i would like to think that whoever bought it,purchase it because they really liked it,not because it was worth that much.but a coin does not nessesary have to be valuable or rare for people to like it,I like my coin and it's pretty well preserved that is the reason I got it.if another one comes around with a nicer higher grade then it will be another story. All this information is very valuable to me thanks everyone.

The rare and special thing about that 1982 cent would be that it was the finest known out of hundreds of examples graded and decades of people submitting examples to grading services. I don't know the particular one you're referring to, but I'm guessing it was graded MS68 or MS69. Conditional rarity for common moderns will have values like these, but only really for US coins, and only in the absolute finest grades. Your piece looks to be about AU55.

If you understand what is being said and you've seen an example now that sold for less than a dollar, why is your listing still at about $2,000?

• Your description on the ebay listing says it is 1895. Might want to fix that.

Great Deals Buying and Selling: Metalsman, BobSav, Rick300, endzone, Swampboy, somecoins, Musca, commoncents05, Refrema, tonyhar, joebb21, kalshacon, JeremyDie1, percyb, scrapman1077, indiananationals, wondercoin, pragmaticgoat, tonedSilver, theboz11, Timbuk3, bigmarty58, HCumberdale, jp84, OnlyGoldIsMoney, UNLVino, coinguy1989, drewsef, coindeuce, pjcoins, giorgio11, Sullykerry52, KollectorKing, privatecoin, jclovescoins, Smittys, bronco2078, ajaan, jdmern, bidask, jrt103, CoinPhysicist, bigjpst, OKCC, Skanderbeg, pruebas, dizzlecc, MasonG, spummybum, SurfinxHI, snowequities

• @Rexford said:

@Infamustrueerrors said:

@Rexford said:

The rare and special thing about that 1982 cent would be that it was the finest known out of hundreds of examples graded and decades of people submitting examples to grading services. I don't know the particular one you're referring to, but I'm guessing it was graded MS68 or MS69. Conditional rarity for common moderns will have values like these, but only really for US coins, and only in the absolute finest grades. Your piece looks to be about AU55.

If you understand what is being said and you've seen an example now that sold for less than a dollar, why is your listing still at about $2,000?

Completely not related to my topic question,but since you asked is Because is the only one for sale (now that I know there was another one with lower grade and was sold)there's is no hundreds of them graded to compare it to the finest.this is the finest so far,if you know a better higher grade let us see it.it is higher than MS55. Also I can see double outline on the hog and the numbers.the rim still in pretty good shape,the number and letter are fully visible and almost in perfect sharp shape,and that's without mentioning the nice pattern coloring.as far as the price people tend to click and see post that are $ higher.is not a set or last price,offers are accepted if someone wants it,they will message me with an offer of what they want to spend on it.anyone is free to ask as much as they want on eBay for they items they own,there is an option for customers to see what similar items sold for to compare prices,I'm not posting a coin with a description of another one or a fake,like I said before,i can change it anytime I want,or when a better and higher grade comes around to compare it to.

• sylsyl Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

You really can't speculate value depending upon how many were minted or how hard it is to find on the internet. It depends upon supply and demand. Even with a mintage of only 10 or 20 thousand, if there aren't but 100 or so collectors that want it, then value will be very minimal.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@syl said:
    You really can't speculate value depending upon how many were minted or how hard it is to find on the internet. It depends upon supply and demand. Even with a mintage of only 10 or 20 thousand, if there aren't but 100 or so collectors that want it, then value will be very minimal.

Read what syl wrote. I owned a coin that had an estimate mintage of <40. It was valued at $350.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Well I for one like getting scarce to rare coins especially if they are attractive and don't really give a rip if there only 100 other collectors that might be interested in it. Fun locating such bits.....

• spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Once upon a time I saw a bag of 1000 coins for sale on eBay from one of these Caribbean micro nations... for like 80 bucks.. and it didn't sell.

It was for one of those years where the reported mintage was like 5000. So you had a good chunk of the entire mintage in one bag, right there on eBay and it was "meh." I don't even have regrets about not pulling the trigger. It's an interesting memory, but "meh."

Good luck to those searching for these though! It really is tough finding some extremely common modern stuff! Never mind the stuff that genuinely is somewhat scarce.

@Infamustrueerrors said:
    Because is the only one for sale (now that I know there was another one with lower grade and was sold)there's is no hundreds of them graded to compare it to the finest.this is the finest so far,if you know a better higher grade let us see it.

Here is a 1987 Bermuda cent. There is only one other listed on eBay, and in much worse condition. There are no records of any eBay sales. Are you a buyer at $100? Shipping is free. :)

• Not for a lower grade than mine,and not a 1985.wrong year...good try tho.

edited September 15, 2019 3:47PM

@Infamustrueerrors said:
    Not for a lower grade than mine,and not a 1985.wrong year...good try tho.

But mine is clearly a higher grade than yours, and (using your method of evaluation) just as rare. And for 1/10th the price you're asking. So- why not?

Here are a few more Bermuda coins for your consideration:

1975 1 cent, none available and two sold
    1984 5 cents, one available and one sold
    1982 10 cents, two available, none sold

These are all comparable to your coin in scarcity as you define it.

• Oh yeah if you are saying there is only one of the 1987 sure price it for whatever you want untill a better one gets listed,but there is no comparation to mine,first because it's not even the same year,the face is the next portrait,and you just prove what I wanted to know,THERE IS NO OTHER 1985just previews or newer, I don't know what grading system you use to say yours is higher grad,but yeah sure buddy,good for you.

@Infamustrueerrors said:
    Oh yeah if you are saying there is only one of the 1987 sure price it for whatever you want untill a better one gets listed

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying the coins I listed are as scarce as yours, using your method of measurement.

I can certainly understand why you wouldn't be willing to pay 1/10th what you're asking for yours to buy them, though. Tell you what- you can have all four for $100.

@Infamustrueerrors said:
    Oh yeah if you are saying there is only one of the 1987 sure price it for whatever you want untill a better one gets listed,but there is no comparation to mine,first because it's not even the same year,the face is the next portrait,and you just prove what I wanted to know,THERE IS NO OTHER 1985just previews or newer, I don't know what grading system you use to say yours is higher grad,but yeah sure buddy,good for you.

Using the standard Sheldon coin grading scale, your piece appears to be about AU55, maximum. The example MasonG posted definitely appears to be higher, at least AU58 and probably MS62ish, with some original red color remaining.

I already linked another 1985 cent, so you know there is another one out there. You also have a basis for the value of your item with the $0.60 selling price of the example I linked, yet you haven't changed the price of yours or your description of "no other coin of its kind known for sale online,or even pictures of this specimen" in your listing. This screams dishonesty and duplicity as a seller.

@Rexford said:
    You also have a basis for the value of your item with the $0.60 selling price of the example I linked, yet you haven't changed the price of yours...

To be fair, I think everybody has the right to price their coins as they wish, however...

@Rexford said:
    or your description of "no other coin of its kind known for sale online,or even pictures of this specimen" in your listing. This screams dishonesty and duplicity as a seller.

Nailed it.

• @redfox if the coin you linked was sold,then there is no other for sale,as far as no other pictures I will change it, because when I wrote it there was none,as a matter of fact I'm changing it right now.im happy there was at least one more so far,and sold fast,maybe they could of gotten more $ if asked for more...I hope more of them get listed and sell.im not going to change the price because of that sale,that was a personal decision from the seller,not because it is a mandatory register as seen on TV item,that if is listed at a store for more ,you get to argue and tell the cashier you saw the comercial for an specific price and you want that price now.

• @Infamustrueerrors said:
    Hi, yes at least now I know the minting quantity produced,what is the name or title of that book? Now I need to find out why there's none of them out or for sale.thank you.

I've got one i am willing to sell...

• @Infamustrueerrors said:
    I believe I might be the first or only one uploading a picture online of the Bermuda one cent,maybe the only one owning one

,I wanted to see others but i couldn't find anything.

I too have one! And am willing to sell ! .....

• sylsyl Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Why did this thread reappear after 3 years? You don't see these for sale because it would cost 10X the value of the coin just to mail it, let alone buy it. You will find them in the 5 for a dollar bin at shops, and even then you are sometimes paying too much.

• 1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

here is mine:

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

?

• 1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    ?

the pig getting out of a bush?

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter