Home Sports Talk

ESPN simulated the entire 2019 NFL season

TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
edited September 2, 2019 5:15PM in Sports Talk

I think they need to work on their algorithm because it's laughable how big of an outlier their season prediction has become.
They have the Chiefs finishing 9-7 (I would take the over on that one all day long)
They have the Packers at 13-3 (With a new coach, new offense install, what is this a 1 out of 100 scenario?)
The 49ers finishing at 11-5 (Maybe if Buckner, Ford, Bosa, Day, and Armstead all have great years. Personally, I don't see that offense being consistent enough to grab 11 wins)
The Cowboys finishing 7-9 (Maybe if they get decimated by injuries and lose some close games along the way. I think that young defense is better than people give them credit for and will keep them in some games. When you look at the metrics Dallas is at 9.263 wins this year. Which means there is almost a 60% likelihood they fall in the range of 8-8 to 10-6 this year. It also says there is about a 9% chance they finish 11-5 and only about a 7% chance they finish 7-9. (I am rounding off these percentages)
So ESPN is describing an unlikely event, the report I got shows the Cowboys chances of having a losing season (7-9 or worse) at 18%. So I am going to trust an ivy league IT alumni team and their complex programs over whatever ESPN is using. So DIMEMAN if your listening, don't drink the ESPN Kool-Aid.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
make the World a better place.

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly with too many media outlets these days, they don't really care that much about the accuracy and truthfulness of what they do, but only generating any sort of public interest to gain advertising revenue from their sponsors or google ad website clicks.

It's more important to them to shout a lie, than softly tell the truth. Reputation be damned if the profits increase.

BTW: If Carson Wentz doesn't get hurt, at least a 13-3 season for the Philadelphia Eagles is an easy call. B)

@MLBdays said:
    I haven't watched a Sports Center in a few years.... it feels too dated and out of touch to me for some reason...Most of the pros who started there and graduated onto their own programs have gotten out of the quagmire of the "Mother Ship" . Then they got political and their viewership got hit...... I watch sports to get away from politics not to over indulge.

Completely agree.

On the YouTube front page when I login, the YouTube "memory" knows what I like to watch and so often will have some news stories about the Eagles, and so will show recently recorded film clips with Stephen A Smith and other loudmouths or whoever. Admittedly, sometimes I'll click on and start watching it just for the yell of it. What the heck it's free, right? Well usually after around a minute or so, it will remind me why I stopped watching it live in the first place.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching sports shows with hosts who are loud (Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless, Shannon Sharp, etc.) hold my attention (if at all) for only a minute or so. Then I have to change the channel. Watching these shows is like watch the Housewives shows on Bravo. Irritating beyond irritating.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I trust Vegas much more than any talking head on the nearly 100 sports gab shows. Vegas may not be 100% correct but they are close enough to have bets on both sides of the under/over win totals.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@SanctionII said:
    Watching sports shows with hosts who are loud (Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless, Shannon Sharp, etc.) hold my attention (if at all) for only a minute or so. Then I have to change the channel. Watching these shows is like watch the Housewives shows on Bravo. Irritating beyond irritating.

Shannon Sharpe really is quite painful to watch. He seems like a nice guy, but for anyone to call him articulate, would simply be ridiculous.

Sharpe too often has to look at and read from notes, likely written for him. It's really quite silly.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I will wait and see how the actual games go and not drink this silly Kool-Aid. B)