Home Stamps Forum

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rarities are still strong but common stamps are either postage (if mint) or scrap (if used).

As for that auction, I wonder if they are really worth anything. That seller has zero feedback and his first auction sold for $15,000?

Maybe money laundering? :#

• It wasn't sold, nobody would pay that much money for junk stamps. That seller is selling 2 more lots of junk for high dollar.

https://ebay.com/sch/endworld_hunger/m.html?item=323883131719&hash=item4b68f06347%3Ag%3ABf8AAOSwKWhdUnOt&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

• ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭

Does anybody anticipate a revival?

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColinCMR said:
    Does anybody anticipate a revival?

No. The decline will continue. Young people have NO interest in stamp collecting.

All glory is fleeting.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a bad confluence of events. Reduction in population that collects stuff, and newer generations that don't even know what a stamp is.

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

i know what you mean. was chatting with my neighbours and their kids and i asked them about stamps and one of them ran home and brought me a stamp pad . doesnt look good for my collection in the future

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually find stamps to be pretty fascinating. There are a couple of Joe Louis boxing stamps that I am going to purchase soon. I say collect whatever fascinates you, to heck with what anyone else thinks.

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find some people appreciate the older stamps I buy them for less than face and use them for business mail. Air Mail stamps with propeller driven planes gain the most attention.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    My wife teaches and she is quite worried for the current crop of high schoolers and college students.... they are not equipped to think for themselves and solve problems ...no interest in history or reading.....Stamps? Unless the Kardashian's have a collection I can't see that happening....

Who are the Kardashians? ;)

All glory is fleeting.
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

Stamps are fine to collect for enjoyment, but unless you're pretty wealthy and can afford the nosebleed-price true rarities, it's best to enjoy them with disposable income you really don't care about getting back. :)

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@MLBdays said:
    My wife teaches and she is quite worried for the current crop of high schoolers and college students.... they are not equipped to think for themselves and solve problems ...no interest in history or reading.....Stamps? Unless the Kardashian's have a collection I can't see that happening....

Who are the Kardashians? ;)

Aren't they that Star Trek race in Deep Space Nine?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting stamps is like collecting coins or any other thing for that mater. Pick an area you like and concentrate on it. Learn and study your area of interest and talk with some good stamp dealers...there are several out there. Look at certified stamps...I would say that most used stamps being sold have faults. It is very rare in my area of interest (airmails and early used large banknotes) that I buy a non certified stamp...the same as coins and cards. Trying to fill up a stamp album is fun because there are easily 4,000 plus stamps you can get for all of face value...the same as a Whitman penny or nickel coin albums. Putting them together is fun and can occupy a lot of winter and hot summer time. But...you are not putting together an investment so to speak for your heirs...we know that story. Anyhow...I hope this makes sense. The market for sound quality 19th century stamps is very strong...it is not for the 1938 President Series...I still use them for postage. Just my two cents...take care..
    CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps