Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Unique Serial Numbers

I was looking for a hobby and read about dollar bills with unique serial numbers. I came across the below two bills recently, but I don't know if they are worth more than face value. Any suggestions on their worth or websites where I can show/sell them? Thanks!

Comments

• TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum Parpope. In order to post pictures you will need upload them to a hosting site like imgur, flickr, photbucket, SmugMug, 500px etc. Once this is done you can use the little picture icon when posting and your picture will show up. Right now we can't see your two bills or their serial number to let you know if they are worth more than face value.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can also load them into the forum from your phone or pc....

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Parpope said:
    I was looking for a hobby and read about dollar bills with unique serial numbers. I came across the below two bills recently, but I don't know if they are worth more than face value. Any suggestions on their worth or websites where I can show/sell them? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum @Parpope.

You can drag/drop, copy/paste, or use the upload picture function (top right of the posting box. Use whichever your browser supports.

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennisCoach said:

In order to post pictures you will need upload them to a hosting site like imgur, flickr, photbucket, SmugMug, 500px etc.

This is no longer the case Coach. Most all PM forums I visit frequently no longer require a hosting site to post photos.

I remember people asking "How do I post pictures to this forum?", it was a popular question years ago. At that time it required a host site platform. As many of you have pointed out, that is no longer the case. I think that's good news for those who wish to share parts of their collection.

So let's try it out, here is a note not with a unique serial number, but a collectible one. This is a two digit (number 46) repeating note. When a serial number repeats in the ABABABAB format or in this case 46464646 it is known as a super repeater! That is something new collectors to the hobby can look for.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennisCoach said:
    So let's try it out, here is a note not with a unique serial number, but a collectible one. This is a two digit (number 46) repeating note. When a serial number repeats in the ABABABAB format or in this case 46464646 it is known as a super repeater! That is something new collectors to the hobby can look for.

cool I like

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aren't all serial numbers by definition unique?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Super repeaters are very cool...

edited September 12, 2019 11:30PM

@3stars said:
    Aren't all serial numbers by definition unique?

By definition a serial number helps identify a note, while not unique, it is often times extremely difficult (can take many years) to find two notes with the same serial number. Here is very hard to find pair of notes that share the exact same serial number.

Challenge accepted...

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mbwizkid said:
    Challenge accepted...

For a coin guy, could you explain how they both have the same plate numbers ?
    \Thanks
    Boston MDCXXX

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

edited September 13, 2019 12:42PM

Challenge accepted...
    Now that's the kind of challenge I like to see met, well done with your H00000012B pair sir!

For a coin guy, could you explain how they both have the same plate numbers ?
    \Thanks
    Boston MDCXXX
    The two H00000012B notes do not have the same plate number. The bottom note is labeled correctly with the plate A54, however the top notes plate reads A831 and is mislabeled on the PCGS holder as having plate A54. These notes were likely graded together as a pair and the grader/finalizer entering the data for the label forgot to change the plate information for the 2nd note.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @TennisCoach , I thought the labeling was incorrect.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date