Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Gold for sale near spot

jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 26, 2019 9:13AM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

1976 Bi-Centenary of Cook's 3rd voyage gold medal. Arms granted to Cook after his death combined with an anchor, rev ¾ facing bust of Cook with HM ships Discovery & Resolution in background. 9ct gold, 30.7g 42mm. Designed by James Berry & issued by Eastern & Central Savings Bank. Asking $580 obo paid fee free payment. Thanks!

1913 $5 Indian (SOLD)

Comments

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭✭

J
    I do not understand your gold calculation? If the medal weighs 30.7 grams and is 9 carats.
    That would equal .375 (9/24) *1530 = $573.75 per Troy oz or 31.1 grams.
    If the medal weighs 30.7 that is below one Troy oz so how are you getting to spot being $615? My calculations have the AGW to be about $566.37

I am sure I am making a dumb math mistake but just wanted to ask? Maybe I should PM this but figure someone else can point out my mistake.

Thank you

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me I calculated at 1500. So

1500.375(9k gold) is 562.5
    562.5/31.1 is 18.08
    30.7 is $555.05 scrap

@Relaxn I do believe your doing the math right because I got aprox the same

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

From the scrap gold calculator at the silver recyclers website.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MattTheRiley thanks so that confirms that both @Relaxn and I did our math right.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

Wow, my bad guys. I did a gram to ounce calculator via google. Is there a different way to convert grams to ounces??

• Options

This is where I got my number. I've been using wrong conversions for years apparently. Yikes.

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Metals are measured in Troy oz.
    There are 31.1 grams in a Troy oz.
    As far as you did not know that... You have been buying and selling metals for awhile on this board & in a coin shop in Kentucky and did not know the difference between a Troy oz (31.1 grams) and a Avoirdupois oz is (28.35 grams)

Tip of the cap to you.

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Play nice gents. Mistakes happen.

• Options

Melt is up to $568 today, and I'm dropping my price to $580!