Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

National Rippage

NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

Well they pulled me back in.

I had been put to pasture by the vile ripping pack breaks industry that degenerates like me unfortunately helped to spawn. But was by my buddies Terry and Paul’s booth and decided to rip a couple of vintage packs on the spot.

Fellow board member KGibson has video of the event so if he would like to post fire away. Otherwise I’m still in retirement of posting results!

Nikklos

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

What did you rip?

Mike
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭

Woah. A whole box of 1979opc.

What a great box.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez, that is not a box I would ever dream of ripping, but thanks for sharing the results.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nikklos said:
    Well they pulled me back in.

I had been put to pasture by the vile ripping pack breaks industry that degenerates like me unfortunately helped to spawn. But was by my buddies Terry and Paul’s booth and decided to rip a couple of vintage packs on the spot.

Fellow board member KGibson has video of the event so if he would like to post fire away. Otherwise I’m still in retirement of posting results!

I think I saw this video last night? Gretsky pulled in last pack right?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uffdah!!

• Options

@UFFDAH said:
    Uffdah!!

Was that the box you bought Chris?

If so - glad you pulled the RC on the "last" pack!

Mike
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome back Chris!

Dave
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

@UFFDAH said:
    Uffdah!!

Was that the box you bought Chris?

If so - glad you pulled the RC on the "last" pack!

No, Chris's box has one pack with Gretzky showing on back.

His box also got more valuable, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

I assume you have to squat a bit when you walk due to the large size of your marbles.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Chris was a core poster on here when I first started posting. His tips were pretty epic.

Glad to see you back!

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2019 3:06AM

I saw this guy opening. I was glad he pulled it out in the last pack. It was slightly like watching a car wreck based on the treatment of the non-gretzky cards though. Almost half the set has no PSA 10 and also single digit 9's. Zooming right past the Mike Bossy's, Gordy Howe's, and Bobby Clark RC (among others)...Seems like grading everything that is a potential 9 would be the only way to support the cost of the box even though it may have been for "fun".

• Options
    edited August 3, 2019 5:39AM

@1970s said:

@secretstash said:
    I saw this guy opening.

Did anyone notice any gum coming out of the packs ? On the video, it appears there is no
    gum in the last four packs.

The gum was likely taken out by the guy that was opening the packs for him as in the article. There were many nice cards he passed up as he was only hunting the great one. Enough spectators were watching this also as it happened right at PSA's table.

I think it was a legit pack where at least Gretzky was indeed found inside because the order surrounding it seems to closely align the 3 cards previous to him. Vintage Breaks recently pulled a very awesome Gretzky RC (real shot 8-9+) from a PSA pack. Check out the coalition around the Gretzky, but backwards. VB opened the pack face down and this guy face up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQOkoEKa0I8

This is the guy opening from the article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=130&v=qNruArbVB3A

• Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

Perhaps the gum was stuck underneath the cards?

• Options
    edited August 3, 2019 6:25AM

@Time4aGansett said:
    Perhaps the gum was stuck underneath the cards?

I think this may be the case, stuck to back card (a few on youtube similar to this example) OR the assistant guy pulled the gum for him who was opening all of the packs. I did not see any gum easily visible on the table but there were trashes nearby. I showed up to that "break" towards the end and saw the last 5 or so packs already laid out ready to view from the guy helping him. There were quite a few people around before I came in astonishment of the sight of this being opened so I do not think it was staged. Also the coalition of the pack seemed very closely aligned to the Vintage Break psa Gretzky pull video I included above. The condition of the cards that I saw on the table also looked like fresh OPC and I have already stated I thought the guy was careless with them which was a car wreck to watch.

@1970s said:

@secretstash said:

@1970s said:

@secretstash said:
    I saw this guy opening.

Did anyone notice any gum coming out of the packs ? On the video, it appears there is no
    gum in the last four packs.

The gum was likely taken out by the guy that was opening the packs for him

I know this is getting annoying, but the guy who was opening the packs was standing right next to the guy looking at the cards. You mentioned you saw the guy opening. That indicates that you were standing right next to the guy opening the packs and looking through the cards.

Did you notice any gum when the guy opened the packs. ? If most of us understand this process correctly, he had to remove gum and place it on the table, or keep it in the packs.

Based on the video, there isn't any gum anywhere to be found on the table or in the packs.

Being that you were standing there, did you see any gum anywhere on the table as the guy was opening the packs ?
    thanks

• Options

According to the OP (the apparent box ripper), "Fellow board member KGibson has video of the event so if he would like to post fire away. Otherwise I’m still in retirement of posting results!"

Wait for the full video to be posted in that case.

• Options

No no. The original post got hijacked - which I guess it deserved to be due to my lack of info. I just ripped a measly 1972 wax and 1975 wax pack!

Nikklos
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2019 8:12AM

Nice pull for 150 bananas.

Mike
  • Options

Here's Nik's video

https://youtu.be/sd6hpoxZQOE

Mike
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

Thanks Mike for posting that for me. I guess I thought I was more tech savvy than I am. I will send you the other pack rip for you to post also.

"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options

@kgibson said:
    Thanks Mike for posting that for me. I guess I thought I was more tech savvy than I am. I will send you the other pack rip for you to post also.

You're welcome Kevin.

I'm not a genie or anything.

All I did was put your video thru youtube and then here.

Mike
  • Options
    Mike
  • Options

Thanks Kevin and Mike!

Nikklos
  • Options

@Nikklos said:
    Thanks Kevin and Mike!

You're welcome and you're a good sport!

Mike
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing! That was a fun watch.

• Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

hey chris it was nice to see you again buddy next time we have to go out and get some drinks and food its always great to watch you rip those packs thanks again for the business

• Options

Thanks tou and Paul, Terry! We definitely have to grab a drink. Don’t know why we never thought of that!

Nikklos
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

@Nikklos said:
    Thanks tou and Paul, Terry! We definitely have to grab a drink. Don’t know why we never thought of that!

Because you were waiting for CPAMike to join you. See what happens when I turn my back on you. :D

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

geesh what were we thinking we all do need to get together its just hard sometimes with all of the invites and events going on after the show but have to plan it for sure :)