Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

USA Today - FBI, Sports and Baseball Card

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1929959001

Just informational; no commentary from me.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope the guilty go to jail (and go out of business) and the victims get refunds. Thank you to the BODA for helping to clean up the hobby. Glad the FBI is taking this seriously.

As for the TPGs I really hope they invest in scanning technology and AI to show their graders possible matches. This will help them find alterations and make their services more valuable for all. Photo matching has proven to be a way to detect alterations and the TPGs need to implement in some manner.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

💥🎉🎊👍

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good news!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

TAKE EM ALL DOWN!!!!!

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

My favorite line from Die Hard:

We’re going to need some more FBI guys!

• Options
    djy2500djy2500 Posts: 42 ✭✭

Since I started collecting again, I quickly disliked buying cards on PWCC auctions. They’re entire operation seemed shady and I’m glad they are now under the microscope! If this is true, it’s deplorable, and they should close up shop!

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

I'm just so happy I've been outbid on every single card I've had interest in from pwcc and finally just stopped trying.

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Great to see it going mainstream. Lock them up!

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options

I certainly don't agree with anyone doing anything criminal to rip off or deceive collectors in our hobby. But it is kind of funny though. I send comic books to be graded and I can actually pay the company to clean and press the books before they grade it! (gets rid of some creases, minor dirt, pencil marks, etc. and it costs like $30 a book btw!). obviously this is done to improve the condition of the book so it increases the value. trimming is not allowed of course. but some of what these guys are doing falls into this ballpark, no??

• Options
    spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

All these cards are trimmed so no, it's not the same ballpark, not even the same sport. It's like saying I speed all the time so I should be cool with serial killers.

• Options

OK so why can a reputable comic grading company offer a service where they press and clean comics?? It's not me doing it, they are marketing the service on their website and performing the service just prior to grading. Once the book is graded, they do not state on the label that the book was pressed and cleaned prior to grading. In my mind that's restoration but they seem to have a very lucrative business doing it!! Also I think its on the card grading companies way more too, why didn't they detect the trimming/alterations and refuse to grade those cards?? Hmmm I wonder...

• Options

anyway I just thought it was interesting how the 2 hobbies vastly differ in their opinions on grading submission. It seems the card industry puts alot of importance on the card being untouched and as is, while the comic industry seems to be more receptive to allowing a raw item to be improved before grading.

• Options

hi spanky74 I disagree. some of the cards were not trimmed but altered such as spots being removed/hidden, etc (at least, that's what I took from the article, although i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed!!) then resubmitted for higher grades. Anyone knowingly trimming cards and resubmitting them to try to make a financial gain should be prosecuted, but they are only doing this because the grading companies are allowing them to get away (and profit) from it. as the sums of money being made increase, so does the criminal activity. enough to go around I imagine!

• Options

very interesting comments. I appreciate them. being involved in both industries for 35+ years I always thought it was very interesting that comics could be improved before grading while cards cannot. (that's why I send very few cards or comics to be graded! I prefer the "as is" look as opposed to being locked in plastic!! But with the difference in prices for certain high graded cards or comics vs. raw, I do from time to time send some off in hopes of receiving a high grade that I usually do not get!) I look forward to being more involved in these great discussions. thank you for your time drc!!

• Options

I dont see anything changing. From my understanding, people were waiting in line for hours to drop their stuff off at the PSA booth in Chicago. PWCC is still alive and kicking. We Americans have a short memory, this will fade.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@brucemjr said:
    I certainly don't agree with anyone doing anything criminal to rip off or deceive collectors in our hobby. But it is kind of funny though. I send comic books to be graded and I can actually pay the company to clean and press the books before they grade it! (gets rid of some creases, minor dirt, pencil marks, etc. and it costs like $30 a book btw!). obviously this is done to improve the condition of the book so it increases the value. trimming is not allowed of course. but some of what these guys are doing falls into this ballpark, no??

Welcome to the forum