Home Q & A Forum

1911 Indian Quarter Eagle - Grading

Cleaned? Estimated condition

Thank You guys

Virginia Beach, VA
Collector, Buyer, Seller, Licensed Dealer
U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beat up AU. Entire surface like the Barber coin we discussed. Only these nicks over the entire surface are smaller.

• Sooner or later I'll come up with something you can't criticize 😁😭😭

Virginia Beach, VA
    U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles

I'm trying to figure out the amount of experience you have. Do you own any coins graded MS-65 by one of the major grading services? Are you a member of the ANA? You can join and borrow the coin grading video. Do you attend coin shows?

Grading a coin is easy. Knowing what it is worth is the hard part and that's what turns something easy (grading) into something complex (putting a "relative" grade on it that indicates its value). That's why XF/AU coins that are worth millions of dollars are graded Mint State!

• va_resellersva_resellers Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited August 3, 2019 3:57PM

I have many many ms65 and higher coins. I also have paid to grade many coins that to me appeared Uncirculated that graded AU, and also many come back Details. I would disagree that grading a coin is "easy" as there are tons of variables that not everyone's eyes view the same way. Yes, determining a Ballpark condition isn't that hard, but with PCGS one grade difference can result in lots of $$$, so I like hearing second opinions. I've watched many grading videos including PCGSs series. Why not ask others for opinions?

Virginia Beach, VA

Note that I'm the only one taking the time to help you so far. :)

Do yo understand why the $2 1/2 coin is nothing special and should not even be considered for a slab? Tell me why? What do you see on it?

• @Insider2 said:
    Note that I'm the only one taking the time to help you so far. :)

Do yo understand why the $2 1/2 coin is nothing special and should not even be considered for a slab? Tell me why? What do you see on it?

I see a purplish residue/scuff mark on one feather in addition to typical circulation wear.

Virginia Beach, VA

Look at the entire coin. You are seeing something I can only think I see after you've described it. Pick something more noticeable besides the obvious loss of detail due to circulation and the beat-up surface.