Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The ole Walpole switcheroo

jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 1, 2019 4:38AM in PSA Set Registry Forum

I noticed they have a new website. The old site used to keep a running tab of past orders. The new one does not.
This is very convenient if you are trying to conceal past orders. Many cards are 20% overpriced so when they have a 20% of sale
some are good buys. I ordered a very nicely centered 1977 Dale Murphy psa 8. New PSA case. To fill up the free shipping requirement also bought registry cards for less that it would cost me to have them graded and a 1983 Joe Jacob PSA 9 that was very nicely centered.
On arrival the invoice has the last 3 cert numbers crossed off and new ones written in.
The Murphy is 80-20 and Jacoby 75-25.
Nowhere does it say stock photos. This is totally unacceptable to me.
So far no response back from my complaint.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
1948-76 Topps FB Sets
FB & BB HOF Player sets
1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Comments

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep me posted! I buy from 4SC a lot and generally don’t have complaints, but it is completely unacceptable to ship a different Cert number than you chose to buy! I’d like to know how this turns out and base any future purchasing decisions on that.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

I've purchased multiple items from them also. Never really had an issue; everything came as ordered and as previously seen on the site. I've noticed multiple issues with their new site platform. Questioned them and they responded quickly. Answer made sense to me that in a rush to get the new format up and running, many of the features either don't update right away or are nor properly functioning. Not defending them, just my experience with them.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Dan

So far 4SC has completely ignored my complaints

It is my first problem with them also

IMO at this point they are adding salt to the wound

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, Jay, that's awful. Such a slimy move.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    Dan

So far 4SC has completely ignored my complaints

It is my first problem with them also

IMO at this point they are adding salt to the wound

Really unacceptable! I bought one card tonight. Let’s see which Cert I get!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

I buy many topps cards of Yankees in PSA 10 for my Yankee registry team sets.
    Can't say I have double checked cert #'s as I really don't care.

I would expect this get important when high demand cards that are not scarce come into play....like the Murphy RC.

I would suggest taking a pic of any card that is very nice and that is why you are buying it and a less than substitute matters greatly.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

On higher priced cards from them I usually buy from e-Bay. This protects me in case of any issues from them, as I don't trust their customer service department. If an issue, I can go through eBay to get situation resolved, haven't had to use that yet, but I figure if it does happen I'll get better response through eBay and not their regular site. I may be wrong, but to me it feels like the right thing.

To be very honest with you I am afraid of buying higher priced cards in grades psa 8+

I enjoy my ability to post here on PSA's site so I cannot say why.

Typically I find the cards on ebay and buy on the website as 20% off is a good deal.

I used to spend about $2K/year with them, now that is gone for sure.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    I noticed they have a new website. The old site used to keep a running tab of past orders. The new one does not.
    This is very convenient if you are trying to conceal past orders. Many cards are 20% overpriced so when they have a 20% of sale
    some are good buys. I ordered a very nicely centered 1977 Dale Murphy psa 8. New PSA case. To fill up the free shipping requirement also bought registry cards for less that it would cost me to have them graded and a 1983 Joe Jacob PSA 9 that was very nicely centered.
    On arrival the invoice has the last 3 cert numbers crossed off and new ones written in.
    The Murphy is 80-20 and Jacoby 75-25.
    Nowhere does it say stock photos. This is totally unacceptable to me.
    So far no response back from my complaint.

I assume these are from 4SC from other posters comments.

I am not a lawyer, but isn't that fraud? I have bought from them in the past, but the cards have been the only one of that kind available.

Does their website say they can give you a similar card to the one you want?

Have they responded to your complaint? If so, what's their explanation?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    edited August 14, 2019 5:06AM

Joe
    Not a lawyer but sound like fraud to me.
    Their website makes no mention of stock photos.

So far no response. That is what gets me the most. Mistakes are made.
    Not in this case. I cannot see this order as you could always see in the past.

They did leave a paper trail. Here is the invoice.
    Clearly a card cert is crossed out and another written in as the one I received.

Most of us here at PSA are advanced collectors who want centered cards.
    at 80-20 centering I do not want a card at any price.
    This cost me $55 so I am not out a fortune.
    My message here is just to warn others of this shady practice.

I suggest taking a pic of a card you order if it can be substituted easily. Print invoice

Card shown was very close to 50-50
    Here is what I received.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now THAT'S what I call evidence of fraud.

Unless they have some kind of "fine print" that says they can substitute cards.

I now get the Walpole reference!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set