Home Q & A Forum

Old 90%ers in poor condition

Hey guys,

I'd like to hear your thoughts on selling vs. melting 19th century or early 20th century silver coins such as this one. I'm talking about stuff in a G4 or AG condition....obviously something with no visible date or devices would not be desirable to anyone.

Virginia Beach, VA
Collector, Buyer, Seller, Licensed Dealer
U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2019 9:00AM

Just in case you are not joking...ABSOLUTELY NOT they are worth more than the silver value. Sell them, even those with no date.

• @Insider2 said:
    Just in case you are not joking...ABSOLUTELY NOT they are worth more than the silver value. Sell them, even those with no date.

I guess I dont see them having much value to collectors in this condition....anything that is in marginally better condition with most devices visible obviously are sold.

Virginia Beach, VA
    U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most collectors cannot afford $$$ coins. However, they are your coins, take a loss and melt them. That way, the new or younger generation of collectors will not be able to own them at low prices. I'll remind you that dateless Buffalo nickels are not melted because someone wants them!

BTW, many advanced numismatists got interested in coins with their first one having much less value than the dime you posted.

Please SAVE OUR NUMISMATIC HERITAGE from the smelter!

• LOL of course no one would WANT to melt coins from that era....but I get your points and will continue selling them retail.

Virginia Beach, VA

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

I'll remind you that dateless Buffalo nickels are not melted because someone wants them!

**Please SAVE OUR NUMISMATIC HERITAGE from the smelter!

Even nice Buffalo nickels get carved up or in some way modified. It is a shame that such an attractive coin is so abused. Even dateless they can be cool:

These are coins I found in the nickel bag last week from my credit union, the consensus is that the centre one is a '26-S which is simply amazing to find still circulating! But I like the character of the other two coins, the one on the left looks a bit like a modern ancient coin!

25 years ago you could still get Barber coins in 90% lots - now for the most part they have disappeared. Even worn out coins have some value to someone.

And I agree, better worn than smelted.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Not a big fan of buffalo's, but it is quite amazing to find them today in bank rolls....

Virginia Beach, VA

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2019 4:57AM

It seems that there are markets and customers that you are overlooking. There is a market for almost anything. There may be people out there wirh uses or interests that you can't even conceive of.

P.S. - if you are not finding buyers for this stuff locally, try ebay.

• @JBK said:
    It seems that there are markets and customers that you are overlooking. There is a market for almost anything. There may be people out there wirh uses or interests that you can't even conceive of.

P.S. - if you are not finding buyers for this stuff locally, try ebay.

Its primarily local buyers...not necessarily seasoned collectors which is why I questioned the value to your average customer vs a collector that could appreciate the history, dwindling availability, precious metal, etc.

Virginia Beach, VA

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a guy come to my table at a show one time and asked me what was the cheapest and smallest coin that I had. I happened to have a absolutely terrible 3c silver piece at the time and a couple half dimes that were about as comparable. He was happy to get them, but I couldn't help to ask why he would want the three worst coins that I had. He told me that he was practicing finding things with his metal detector and would have someone go hide them and he would try to find them to hone his skills.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics