Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did the Langbords lose the 1933 Double Eagles because of a single CU forum post?

124»

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2019 4:05PM

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@cladking said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I mostly agree here. The only thing I can't really say with any authority is whether or not the coins were ever "legally" available at the Mint because I'm not sure what the requisite protocols are to make them "legal" to sell. Is there ever paperwork filed? Is there an official transfer to the Exchequer or Cashier? I just don't know how that works.

This is all legal nonsense.

The fact of the matter is the mint is just a factory. They merely produce coins, not money. At no point does a coin somehow morph into "money". For ALL practical purposes a coin becomes money when it is legally presented to purchase something and is not fraudulently accepted. No wand is waved over them nor are the blessed by the powers that be.

As a factory there are many roads in and many roads out. Not only is product removed from this factory in countless ways but so too is garbage, equipment, men, and materiel. Product goes out in many ways and while each coin is dated it hardly proves it left the mint the year that is stamped on the coin. They often release new coins right with the old inadvertently and it could have even left the mint in 1932. Everything they mix in with the coinage isn't intentional and isn't a W-mint quarter.

We are only aware of the normal and typical ways that a 1933 double eagle

The coins weren’t immediately declared to be “stolen” and the hunt for them didn’t start 85 years ago.

By the way, are there any coins not traceable to George McCann? Why isn't this the story of a Mint insider trying to profit from inside information? Or outright theft by a Mint insider, depending on when he procured the coins.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@cladking said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I mostly agree here. The only thing I can't really say with any authority is whether or not the coins were ever "legally" available at the Mint because I'm not sure what the requisite protocols are to make them "legal" to sell. Is there ever paperwork filed? Is there an official transfer to the Exchequer or Cashier? I just don't know how that works.

This is all legal nonsense.

The fact of the matter is the mint is just a factory. They merely produce coins, not money. At no point does a coin somehow morph into "money". For ALL practical purposes a coin becomes money when it is legally presented to purchase something and is not fraudulently accepted. No wand is waved over them nor are the blessed by the powers that be.

As a factory there are many roads in and many roads out. Not only is product removed from this factory in countless ways but so too is garbage, equipment, men, and materiel. Product goes out in many ways and while each coin is dated it hardly proves it left the mint the year that is stamped on the coin. They often release new coins right with the old inadvertently and it could have even left the mint in 1932. Everything they mix in with the coinage isn't intentional and isn't a W-mint quarter.

We are only aware of the normal and typical ways that a 1933 double eagle

The coins weren’t immediately declared to be “stolen” and the hunt for them didn’t start 85 years ago.

By the way, are there any coins not traceable to George McCann? Why isn't this the story of a Mint insider trying to profit from inside information? Or outright theft by a Mint insider, depending on when he procured the coins.

None that I’m aware of. The coins that we’re seized were traced to Switt and he didn’t implicate McCann or anyone else.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Would anyone feel differently if the people who bought the coins knew the executive order was coming and were trying to profit from the artificial rarity?

Nope, human nature. Hopefully, I'd be one to find out and trade on inside info if the 1933 coins were in some way made available to mint workers that did not involve stealing.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Would anyone feel differently if the people who bought the coins knew the executive order was coming and were trying to profit from the artificial rarity?

Nope, human nature. Hopefully, I'd be one to find out and trade on inside info if the 1933 coins were in some way made available to mint workers that did not involve stealing.

I don't know. I hear a lot of complaining about greedy dealers. I've also heard complaining about bulk buyers on new Mint issues today. We hear complaints about coln doctors. It's hard to believe that people would excuse a government employee stealing a handful of coins fron the melting pot knowing he could make a mint (pun intended) selling them

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot to answer the question as posed by the OP.

No.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

@mr1874 said:
    Doubtful that Switt had possession of any '33's, all 20 of the knowns (without counting the 2 that McCann sent to the Smithsonian, of course) which have been traced to him, until as late as 1936 when he visited Max Berenstein in New York to sell him some '32's.

I don't believe Switt, in 1936, could have resisted showing any '33's he might have had to Barenstein. Switt did sell some '32's to Barenstein when he went to New York in 1936.

The Barenstein piece was one of the '33's seized by SS in 1944. Barenstein actually acquired his '33 from Switt in 1937 but had to pay through the nose to get it.

For the record, I haven't changed my opinion that justice was not served in the case of the Langbord 1933 Double Eagles. The family should have been allowed to keep the coins and dispose of them as they saw fit.

Supposedly 1936 is the year McCann sold them to him. McCann is the reason that I find the attitude of some towards these coins to be curious. If the only person who managed to acquire any 33s was a Mint insider with access to them, it is incredibly unlikely they were ever "legally available" for exchange. Turning a blind eye to insider theft (apologies to insider2) is remarkable.

• Options
    edited May 6, 2019 12:38PM

Well, it is possible that McCann did acquire '33's** legally** in 1933, on a gold for gold exchange basis. As we all know, being an "insider" can and often does have its advantages.

I have been pretty much on board with Q. David Bowers on 1933 Double Eagles. Government should have made them legal to own.

I posited the idea that, of the ten Langbord coins, they should be permitted direct ownership of, at the least, one of the 10 pieces, the piece of their choosing, the finest one in other words. Not too hard to figure that out, identifying the finest one.

What to do with the other nine?

How about locating an "appropriate" direct decendent of each of the nine individuals who had their '33's confiscated by Secret Service many years ago and giving that individual, if he or she can be identified, a '33? It would be the government admitting they were wrong to have confiscated '33's from their original owners in the first place. If there is no direct decendent to be identified, the '33 that would have been awarded goes to the Langbords, so the Langbords could end up owning more than one '33.

Bottom line: For the Langbords to get nothing is just plain wrong.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

@mr1874 said:
    Well, it is possible that McCann did acquire '33's** legally** in 1933, on a gold for gold exchange basis. As we all know, being an "insider" can and often does have its advantages.

I have been pretty much on board with Q. David Bowers on 1933 Double Eagles. Government should have made them legal to own.

I posited the idea that, of the ten Langbord coins, they should be permitted direct ownership of, at the least, one of the 10 pieces, the piece of their choosing, the finest one in other words. Not too hard to figure that out, identifying the finest one.

What to do with the other nine?

How about locating an "appropriate" direct decendent of each of the nine individuals who had their '33's confiscated by Secret Service many years ago and giving that individual, if he or she can be identified, a '33? It would be the government admitting they were wrong to have confiscated '33's from their original owners in the first place. If there is no direct decendent to be identified, the '33 that would have been awarded goes to the Langbords, so the Langbords could end up owning more than one '33.

Bottom line: For the Langbords to get nothing is just plain wrong.

Except if they are stolen goods, no one should ever benefit from the theft.

McCann did serve time for a different theft from the Mint. He was never prosecuted for the 33s because by 1944 the Statute of Limitations had expired.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the Government have documentation that the 1933 coins were never approved for circulation? Seems I recall from previous post here that the mint director issued a request to obtain 40 of the coins? What was the reason for the request and what happened to the 40 coins?

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Does the Government have documentation that the 1933 coins were never approved for circulation? Seems I recall from previous post here that the mint director issued a request to obtain 40 of the coins? What was the reason for the request and what happened to the 40 coins?

Kind of backwards. Do you have any documentation that you are not a turtle?

What no one had is any documentation releasing the coins for sale.

I believe the 40 coins were for assay.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

And given the number of coin dealers shopping at the back door to the mint, went do all of the 33s appear to come from McCann?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Kind of backwards. Do you have any documentation that you are not a turtle?

What no one had is any documentation releasing the coins for sale.

I believe the 40 coins were for assay.

Were assay coins melted afterwards? Did McCann even have access to the cage where the coins were kept? I wonder if the 40 assay coins got returned and McCann traded for those.

Anyways what's done is done.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to see our government resort to stealing from its citizens, rhl. The 1933 $20 mess must have been where the term 'fubar' must have been coined. I don't envision it happening, but I hope your property is returned

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2019 4:20AM

The government started stealing gold in 1933 and hasn't stopped yet.

Switt is a hero for saving items of great historical significance.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhl.... No doubt you were screwed by malicious prosecution. I feel bad that my old CU title was used by the crooks (i.e., the government) to beat down Roger.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2019 11:16AM

@rhl said: "I have just come across this thread and to say it is upsetting is an understatement. A few simple facts ---

Of course if I had only known about the totally trustworthy Insider 2, I would be rich today. Seriously?

Well, the "totally trustworthy Insider 2" (whatever that means) has feelings too. :( And you have seriously hurt
    them! :'(:'(:'(

Seriously? Yes, seriously! Talk about a bungled opportunity and lost inheritance! My grandfather told us all the time, "You can't beat City Hall."

I'm on your side. IMO, the coins belong to your family. To say your family handled your inheritance in the way you did to guarantee you have nothing (no $$$$$$$$$$) except a footnote in numismatic lore (I'm jealous!) IS A FACT! I'm not going to repeat what ANY HONEST and INFORMED numismatist would have done with absolutely no chance of ever being sent to jail. Heck, If the government would have confiscated THE ONE COIN you should have sent them, at the least you could have melted the rest of them and satisfied your moral position expressed above.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    @rhl said: "I have just come across this thread and to say it is upsetting is an understatement. A few simple facts ---

Of course if I had only known about the totally trustworthy Insider 2, I would be rich today. Seriously?

Well, the "totally trustworthy Insider 2" (whatever that means) has feelings too. :( And you have seriously hurt

Seriously? Yes, seriously! Talk about a bungled opportunity and lost inheritance! My grandfather told us all the time, "You can't beat City Hall."

I'm on your side. IMO, the coins belong to your family. To say your family handled your inheritance in the way you did to guarantee you have nothing (no $$$$$$$$$$) except a footnote in numismatic lore (I'm jealous!) IS A FACT! I'm not going to repeat what ANY HONEST and INFORMED numismatist would have done with absolutely no chance of ever being sent to jail. Heck, If the government would have confiscated THE ONE COIN you should have sent them, at the least you could have melted the rest of them and satisfied your moral position expressed above.

I believe that many “honest and informed numismatists” would have done what the Langbord family did. They followed the legal advice of counsel, who was highly knowledgeable and very familiar with the history and legalities of 1933 Saints. They took their best chance of owning the coins legally, but lost because the deck was stacked too badly against them.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Insider2 said:

I believe that many “honest and informed numismatists” would have done what the Langbord family did. They followed the legal advice of counsel, who was highly knowledgeable and very familiar with the history and legalities of 1933 Saints. They took their best chance of owning the coins legally, but lost because the deck was stacked too badly against them.

Well, IMHO they got seriously bad advice! Also in my opinion, sending all the coins in at the same time was uninformed. As you posted: The deck was stacked too badly against them and IMHO, any knowledgeable numismatist or lawyer would have told them that in the first place!

BAD SITUATION + BAD ADVICE = BAD OUTCOME! It is he way of the world.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@MFeld said:

@Insider2 said:

Well, IMHO they got seriously bad advice! Also in my opinion, sending all the coins in at the same time was uninformed. As you posted: The deck was stacked too badly against them and IMHO, any knowledgeable numismatist or lawyer would have told them that in the first place!

If 1-9 coins (rather than all 10) had been offered for purposes of authenticity and the legal result the same, any remaining ones probably couldn’t have been sold legally, anyway. Sadly, I believe that if the Langbord family was determined to act lawfully, they were probably in a no-win situation, regardless of what course of action they took.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2019 12:19PM

@MFeld said:

@Insider2 said:

@MFeld said:

@Insider2 said:

If 1-9 coins (rather than all 10) had been offered for purposes of authenticity and the legal result the same, any remaining ones probably couldn’t have been sold legally, anyway. Sadly, I believe that if the Langbord family was determined to act lawfully, they were probably in a no-win situation, regardless of what course of action they took.

Hindsight is 20/20. I would have waited for government release documentation that has been proven successful like receipts (1933 eagles), export license (1933 double eagle) and auction sale (moon dust bag). Of course the latter two may not apply here and it may have been too long if a wait. I wonder if Izzy ever got a receipt like is available for the 1933 eagles. It would have been amazing to have a receipt with the coins, even though not all transactions had receipts.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Insider2 said:

@MFeld said:

@Insider2 said:

Hindsight is 20/20. I would have waited for government release documentation that has been proven successful like receipts (1933 eagles), export license (1933 double eagle) and auction sale (moon dust bag). Of course the latter two may not apply here and it may have been too long if a wait. I wonder if Izzy ever got a receipt like is available for the 1933 eagles. It would have been amazing to have a receipt with the coins, even though not all transactions had receipts.

The export license applied to only one 1933 Saint and I don’t think the moon dust bag would have any bearing on the case. Also, I’m pretty sure that if Mr. Switt had received a receipt for his 1933 Saints, he would have saved it. As you already noted, receipts weren’t issued all the time. So even with 20-20 hindsight, I don’t see that you came up with a more prudent course of action.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember reading that when Mrs. Langbord (Israel Switt's daughter) opened the safe deposit box and found the infamous double eagles she also found some Mexican gold coins and ancient Roman gold coins.

I wonder what happened to those coins.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    rhlrhl Posts: 109 ✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2019 2:43PM

Sold at auction years ago.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2019 2:55PM

@rhl said:
    Sold at auction years ago.

Considering the proximity to the Saints you are probably lucky the government didn’t try to snatch those up too for aiding and abetting

M

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I may ask, were the Roman gold coins especially rare or "common".

Also, were the coins auctioned with the name "Switt" or "Langbord"?
    Sometimes a famous name increases auction prices; see, for example, the Neil Armstrong Family coin sales.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

Not particularly rare, I recall they didn’t bring a lot at auction. I don’t believe they were linked to my family. I think at that time our name was a lot less well known even in numismatic circles.

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Everybody has an opinion, but it's over. Time to move on.

• Options
    edited July 26, 2019 10:51PM

Except if they are stolen goods, no one should ever benefit from the theft.

The government failed to prove that any '33 D.E.'s were stolen from the Mint. Guilty unless and until proven innocent seems to be the way the justice system works anymore.

• Options

My family’s case may be over, but to think that there aren’t other 1933 DEs out there is naive. The fact is a federal district and appeals court in only one circuit issued a ruling, Another case in another circuit could reach an entirely different conclusion. I believe even the Mint knows it got lucky with a low rated and I believe biased judge in Philadelphia. Probably why they settled with the owner of the 1933 that appeared a few years ago.

• Options

@rhl said:
    My family’s case may be over, but to think that there aren’t other 1933 DEs out there is naive. The fact is a federal district and appeals court in only one circuit issued a ruling, Another case in another circuit could reach an entirely different conclusion. I believe even the Mint knows it got lucky with a low rated and I believe biased judge in Philadelphia. Probably why they settled with the owner of the 1933 that appeared a few years ago.

I thought that the settlement was largely due to the fact that the other example was supposedly the Farouk coin, for which an export license had been granted. Do you feel that did not play a large role in the outcome?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2019 11:08AM

There is a poster who keeps alluding to "coins for sale". Coins were never "for sale" in 1933. They were for distribution, until a certain executive order was signed ...AFTER their apparent "release" into commerce ( or collector/ dealer hands ) ; who could lawfully keep them in the aggregate of $200 ( any gold coins ). This legally left allowance for anyone to have one or ten .
    Any claims of theft are assertions. Ex post facto.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@mr1874 said:
    Doubtful that Switt had possession of any '33's, all 20 of the knowns (without counting the 2 that McCann sent to the Smithsonian, of course) which have been traced to him, until as late as 1936 when he visited Max Berenstein in New York to sell him some '32's.

I don't believe Switt, in 1936, could have resisted showing any '33's he might have had to Barenstein. Switt did sell some '32's to Barenstein when he went to New York in 1936.

The Barenstein piece was one of the '33's seized by SS in 1944. Barenstein actually acquired his '33 from Switt in 1937 but had to pay through the nose to get it.

For the record, I haven't changed my opinion that justice was not served in the case of the Langbord 1933 Double Eagles. The family should have been allowed to keep the coins and dispose of them as they saw fit.

Supposedly 1936 is the year McCann sold them to him. McCann is the reason that I find the attitude of some towards these coins to be curious. If the only person who managed to acquire any 33s was a Mint insider with access to them, it is incredibly unlikely they were ever "legally available" for exchange. Turning a blind eye to insider theft (apologies to insider2) is remarkable.

This brings to mind a few of our numismatic treasures in previous years. It wasn't until years later the 1913 Liberty nickels appeared. How did that happen ? Who was the witch of Wall Street ?
    Or what about those 1856 Flying Eagle small cents ? Those were minted ( and distributed) before the law authorized their creation in Feb 1857.

I don't understand the government's inconsistency.

And back to the original question : No !

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@mr1874 said:

This brings to mind a few of our numismatic treasures in previous years. It wasn't until years later the 1913 Liberty nickels appeared. How did that happen ? Who was the witch of Wall Street ?
    Or what about those 1856 Flying Eagle small cents ? Those were minted ( and distributed) before the law authorized their creation in Feb 1857.

I don't understand the government's inconsistency.

And back to the original question : No !

The 1856 Flying Eagle cents are really patterns. I don't have an issue with those.

But I totally agree about the 1913 Liberty nickels. Those have shenanigans written all over them. And only the numismatic P.T. Barnum's hype (Max Mehl) turned them into collectibles.

As to the government and the 1913 Liberty nickels, I think part of the issue is that it was initially unclear if they even came from the Mint. I think the current numismatic position is that they were a Mint issue (shenanigans!), but I don't think it has always been clear since there is no record of them having been made for any reason.

• Options

I was not talking about the Fenton coin, I was referring to the 1933 claimed to have been “voluntarily” given to the Mint I believe in 2018. I have been told by reliable sources that the owner received a multi-million dollar tax credit for his coin.

• Options
    edited July 27, 2019 12:16PM

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Insider2 said:

@MFeld said:

@Insider2 said:

The export license applied to only one 1933 Saint and I don’t think the moon dust bag would have any bearing on the case. Also, I’m pretty sure that if Mr. Switt had received a receipt for his 1933 Saints, he would have saved it. As you already noted, receipts weren’t issued all the time. So even with 20-20 hindsight, I don’t see that you came up with a more prudent course of action.

The examples aren't to say that these particular instances relate to the Lanbord situation but in all cases, there was some document that the government released the items. Because all examples have government documentation that seems to be a useful item in scenarios like this. So I would have waited till something like this appeared. Of course, I also mentioned that sometimes it may be just too long of a wait and you have to do something. I always thought a he-said, she-said case was hard to win and CARFA wasn't as important as it was made out to be. I hope this is more understandable now.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Insider2 said:

@MFeld said:

@Insider2 said:

The examples aren't to say that these particular instances relate to the Lanbord situation but in all cases, there was some document that the government released the items. Because all examples have government documentation that seems to be a useful item in scenarios like this. So I would have waited till something like this appeared. Of course, I also mentioned that sometimes it may be just too long of a wait and you have to do something. I always thought a he-said, she-said case was hard to win and CARFA wasn't as important as it was made out to be. I hope this is more understandable now.

It is more understandable now - thank you. But you’re advocating waiting for something which likely, never would have appeared.

• Options

Why do you think an export license only applies to one single example? When Jeep gets an export license for a truck, does it apply to only one single truck? The 1933 was deemed rare and collectible and therefore permitted for private ownership and export by the Mint and the Smithsonian.

• Options

@rhl said:
    Why do you think an export license only applies to one single example? When Jeep gets an export license for a truck, does it apply to only one single truck? The 1933 was deemed rare and collectible and therefore permitted for private ownership and export by the Mint and the Smithsonian.

No, the export license was issued to Farouk's representative for the single Farouk coin so that his representative could take it out of the country. It was not a blanket license.

The 1933 was never deemed "rare and collectible" by the government until the Court forced them to accept the single Farouk coin as "legal tender".

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhl said:
    I was not talking about the Fenton coin, I was referring to the 1933 claimed to have been “voluntarily” given to the Mint I believe in 2018. I have been told by reliable sources that the owner received a multi-million dollar tax credit for his coin.

I had not heard the tax credit story. Interesting.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2019 1:47PM

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Insider2 said:

@MFeld said:

@Insider2 said:

It is more understandable now - thank you. But you’re advocating waiting for something which likely, never would have appeared.

Yes, but it was unlikely to have 1933 double eagles appear. It's a tough situation which is why I can understand moving forward without that kind of evidence.

• Options

Jmlanzaf — I’m pretty familiar with the history. My understanding is that the Farouk coin was turned into the Mint for possible export who then sent it to the head of the Smithsonian numismatic collection who certified the coin was rare and collectible per the then current gold ownership regulations. It was then returned to the Mint and an export license granted.

As to an export license only being applicable to a single item, it is the general practice that when one item is reviewed and cleared for export, all identical items as a matter of course are granted the same status. There is nothing in the historical record that suggests that Farouk got special one off treatment. What is clear — only in 1944 did the Mint decide that possession of a 1933 DE was illegal.

• Options

@rhl said:
    Jmlanzaf — I’m pretty familiar with the history. My understanding is that the Farouk coin was turned into the Mint for possible export who then sent it to the head of the Smithsonian numismatic collection who certified the coin was rare and collectible per the then current gold ownership regulations. It was then returned to the Mint and an export license granted.

As to an export license only being applicable to a single item, it is the general practice that when one item is reviewed and cleared for export, all identical items as a matter of course are granted the same status. There is nothing in the historical record that suggests that Farouk got special one off treatment. What is clear — only in 1944 did the Mint decide that possession of a 1933 DE was illegal.

The export license being applicable to all coins is interesting. Was it brought up in the case? I mostly heard the coin-for-coin exchange and CAFRA discussions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file