Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Custom items(t-shirts) with baseball cards question

Ok so I tried to have a couple of t-shirts made thru Custom Ink with a picture of 2 different 1962 Jell-O cards on them. People could see what I'm lookin for. I get an e-mail saying that the two players, while on teams that have been moved to other cities, are still from existing teams. The tell me I need to get permission from those teams to use the likeness of those players.
Has anyone heard of this before? I mean, many people advertise using the pictures of iconic sports cards and I'm sure don't get permission from those teams, MLB or Topps, etc. Hell, under that premise, I would think we would have to get permission to list any card on Ebay.
Also, anyone know where I can get a shirt printed WITH the likeness of a baseball card in a short time??

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/3042569-bill-ripken-fuck-face-card-1989-fleer-616-distress

Is a good one :)

Teepublic makes customer apparel.. NO idea what all they are licensed for.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Ok so I tried to have a couple of t-shirts made thru Custom Ink with a picture of 2 different 1962 Jell-O cards on them. People could see what I'm lookin for. I get an e-mail saying that the two players, while on teams that have been moved to other cities, are still from existing teams. The tell me I need to get permission from those teams to use the likeness of those players.
    Has anyone heard of this before? I mean, many people advertise using the pictures of iconic sports cards and I'm sure don't get permission from those teams, MLB or Topps, etc. Hell, under that premise, I would think we would have to get permission to list any card on Ebay.
    Also, anyone know where I can get a shirt printed WITH the likeness of a baseball card in a short time??

You may be able to make them yourself with special kits and iron the image onto your own tshirt.

If you want them made, I think it is legal to make one (or two?) for your own personal use. Some companies might still refuse to avoid any potential copyright infringement issues.

Try a small mom and pop place, they might be more relaxed about it.

Good luck!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

MLB can be really tough when it comes to using their logos. I used to make custom vinyl decals that contained MLB logos and I received a cease and desist letter from MLB. The NFL was more relaxed about it. NCAA was pretty strict, and certain NASCAR teams were the toughest.

• Options

@jeffcbay said:
    MLB can be really tough when it comes to using their logos. I used to make custom vinyl decals that contained MLB logos and I received a cease and desist letter from MLB. The NFL was more relaxed about it. NCAA was pretty strict, and certain NASCAR teams were the toughest.

I am assuming you were selling the decals?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffcbay said:

I guess I'm looking at it like I'm not using MLB logos, it's a picture of a card. The way I look at it, anyone that prints a catalogue or puts out any type of publication with a picture of a baseball card with a MLB player on it would be in violation.... according to Custom Ink. I get they are just protecting themselves, but I felt it was a bit much. Heck, I only ordered two shirts to wear at the National, lol.

• Options

Might have to just go with a plain white Fruit of the Loom tee and a black magic marker!

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give a call to Topps, maybe they can guide u. After all, its really their design, with u ridding on their permit from MLB.
    Also they may have what your looking for, without the process and price factors.

• Options
    edited July 26, 2019 6:19AM

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@jeffcbay said:

I guess I'm looking at it like I'm not using MLB logos, it's a picture of a card. The way I look at it, anyone that prints a catalogue or puts out any type of publication with a picture of a baseball card with a MLB player on it would be in violation.... according to Custom Ink. I get they are just protecting themselves, but I felt it was a bit much. Heck, I only ordered two shirts to wear at the National, lol.

I worked for a company that, among other things, did embroidery and silkscreening on garments.

YES, you are using the MLB logos. However, as long as you are making one shirt for your own personal use, it's legal for YOU to do.

Your problem here is that a company that is doing it for profit can get in a lot of trouble. You can "get around" the issue by changing the logo by 10%, but I don't think you want to get into that.

You can make them up yourself;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-Iron-On-T-shirt-Light-Fabric-A4-Heat-Transfer-Paper-Kit-for-Inkjet-Printer/401748055802?epid=1540414544&hash=item5d8a0cd6fa:g:HkUAAOSwNXpcr-YW

If you don't want to do it yourself, find a small shop and explain that you are only making one for personal use, they MIGHT agree to do it. They might "iron" on your image with their equipment if you don't want to iron it on yourself.

I think you have a GREAT idea! DON'T GIVE UP!!!

• Options

I think my time is running out but I'm going to check to see if I can find a local place this weekend that can do it for me. Thanks for all the ideas guys!!

• Options
    CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

I made this shirt last year. It makes me happy.

• Options

Love it! I need that for my half brother who is a Cubs fan and his wife is a Dodgers fan!

• Options

Tell them they are pictures of "art cards" and youd like them "distressed" to make them seem old.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2019 8:37AM

Because my wife obviously wears the pants in my family, I was thinking of getting one of these t-shirts.

ETA: Yes, I know it's pathetic.

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2019 2:43PM

sounds like a few shirts I have..

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Try finding a local shop that does direct to garment printing. I had good luck with a local shop printing a few different one off Tees that prob would have been rejected by on line companies

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMITHIUS88 I may have missed it if you already posted in one of the other "The National" threads, but what solution did you come up with in your quest to have a t-shirt made?

I've seen a few t-shirts on eBay in the past with random cards screen printed on them. One that I remember was a 1972 Killebrew. I'm unsure if they were originally licensed/sold by Topps through their website, or bootleg, but thought at the time that it'd be neat to have a shirt or 2 with a card that was a personal favorite on it.

Something else that I've been too lazy to look into, perhaps through one of those custom jigsaw puzzle websites, is having a puzzle made of a favorite card, or perhaps taking a group photo of the big cards in my collection and having one made of that. I wonder if there would be similar copyright issues with a one-off puzzle for personal use, not for resale?

• Options

The 1972 Killebrew was originally sold through the Topps website.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    @PROMITHIUS88 I may have missed it if you already posted in one of the other "The National" threads, but what solution did you come up with in your quest to have a t-shirt made?

I've seen a few t-shirts on eBay in the past with random cards screen printed on them. One that I remember was a 1972 Killebrew. I'm unsure if they were originally licensed/sold by Topps through their website, or bootleg, but thought at the time that it'd be neat to have a shirt or 2 with a card that was a personal favorite on it.

Something else that I've been too lazy to look into, perhaps through one of those custom jigsaw puzzle websites, is having a puzzle made of a favorite card, or perhaps taking a group photo of the big cards in my collection and having one made of that. I wonder if there would be similar copyright issues with a one-off puzzle for personal use, not for resale?

Honestly, I got busy with other stuff and didn't get one made. Not sure if it would have made a difference. Scoured the floor and asked at many tables. I probably found fewer than 30 1962 Jell-O cards in the entire show.

• Options

Those '62 Jello's are hard to find. Sorry you didn't have better luck!