Home Autographs Forum

"Can You Ever Forgive Me?" Have you seen this movie?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a must see for anyone interested in autographs or documents. I saw it on DVD last night and thought it was great.

In your experience, do the scenes in the movie express the realities of the autograph/document field?

All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just read about the movie. Wow! Based on a real memoir. I did not know of the woman until reading this. Crazy story!!!

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2019 1:11PM

@291fifth said:
    It is a must see for anyone interested in autographs or documents. I saw it on DVD last night and thought it was great.

In your experience, do the scenes in the movie express the realities of the autograph/document field?

I can't answer your question but I saw it when it came out and thought it was terrific. It DID make me doubt the authenticity of every autograph I own. :D

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting - thx for posting. I will have to check it out.

While it is disturbing that she was able to forge high end material (as others have also done), she was ultimately caught (as were others). I 'd like to think the lie ultimately gets uncovered.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Interesting - thx for posting. I will have to check it out.

While it is disturbing that she was able to forge high end material (as others have also done), she was ultimately caught (as were others). I 'd like to think the lie ultimately gets uncovered.

Maybe not always ... but I'll let you watch the movie. :)

All glory is fleeting.

Its available on my cable to rent so I will watch it soon.

• dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭

I'm from the coin side on these boards, but I'm also a book collector with a focus on Fakes, Frauds, Forgers and Hoaxes.

This is from my forgery catalogue:
    (apologies that this is in images, but it was the easiest way to post)

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched it over the weekend. Good movie.

I still have to see it - maybe this weekend.

• Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

Two thumps up!

Soon after this thread first appeared the movie went off my cable as a free or even pay movie - you had to buy it.

But today it went back to free, so I watched it. It was a great movie.

One thing I noticed is that many of not most of the dealers she sold to were not autograph dealers per se. They were mainly book dealers.

Once I sold a duplicate George Burns signed photo to a book shop. They were nice enough but did not do any comparisons against the photo. They just forked over the money ($12, on a photo they figured they could sell for $25).