Home Q & A Forum

Kennedy 1964 - what is this?

Hi everybody!

My late grandfather left me Kennedy 1964 silver half dollar coin. I ran on it recently and I noticed something unusual on it's surface. It's hard to see in the naked eye, but it seems it's above the coin surface. It can be seen between "L" and "I", approximately on 9.45 clock position. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sorry on my English, I'm from Europe.

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is raised it can be several things:

1. A chip out of the die that metal filled.
    2. A bubble of trapped gas.
    3. A lump of something like glue.
    4. A "dot" on the coin that was put in the die for some reason.

Take a close up of the mark. In one case it looks small and smooth. In the other it looks bigger and rough sided.

• oljaolja Posts: 4

I'm unable to make better pictures with my camera. It's not glue for sure. Could this be a significant error and is it worth checking?

Thanks!

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. :)

All I can see is some post mint damage (PMD)....... no added value or premium.

The only thing that would make it interesting to me is if it were a totally round and smooth dot that was applied at the mint for some reason. This kind of thing was done in the past.

Put your fingernail on the spot and see if it dents the lump. In that case it is trapped gas.

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Look again. PMD is not usually raised on a coin. :wink:

Well, it's too small to feel if it dents. I'll see professional photographer and upload a new picture(s) in a few days.
    Till then, have a nice day!

Don't spend a lot of money! It is probably not worth more than it melts for - approx. $5 US.

No, photographer is my friend ;)

@Insider2 said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Divot on the high side, pushed up metal from the divot on the low side. That would be my guess from the photos provided.

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@Insider2 said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Divot on the high side, pushed up metal from the divot on the low side. That would be my guess from the photos provided.

Are you looking at the raised dot?

@Insider2 "Are you looking at the raised dot?"

Yes

I need to believe the OP (raised) rather than an image. OP's have been wrong in the past. :wink: