Home Sports Talk

Russell Westbrook a Rocket

ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

Daryl Morey might get GM of the Year with this move.

He just moved the unmovable $40 million a year Chris Paul contract and got back one of the top 7 players in the league (still in his prime) in Westbrook.

Coming from a lifelong Warrior fan I must say kudos to the Rockets.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Houston, we have lift off. This could mean a championship for Houston.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, they have a good point guard now.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Houston, we have lift off. This could mean a championship for Houston.

Well it certainly will be wide open next season.

My money is on Zion.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both zjRden and Westbrok are ball dominant. Will they play effectively with each other?

The ppg average for the other 3 Houston starters will be very low next year.

• TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

OKC gets for Paul George~ guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, forward Danilo Gallinari and the Clippers’ first round draft picks in 2022, 2024 and 2026, along with two first-round choices via Miami in 2021 and 2023, and OKC can swap first-round picks with LAC in 2023 and 2025. (This is quite a haul for rebuilding the franchise.)

OKC gets for Russell Westbrook~ a bad contract and aging guard Chris Paul, two protected first-round picks one in 2024 the other in 2026, both protected Nos. 1-4 and the rights to swap picks in 2021 and 2025. (OKC should have received the 2 first rounders and two years of rights to pick swap for Westbrook alone. Where's the compensation for taking on Paul's bloated contract, seems like that is worth at least a couple of 2nds or another years rights to pick swap.

Who here realized that Paul George wasn't worth just a little more, but a lot more than Russell Westbrook on the open trade market? Anyone? I would have guessed each would bring a similar haul. George the better defender, and can fit into more offensive systems. Westbrook can add more scoring punch to a defensive minded team.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

LA was basically trading for Paul George and Kawhi when they gave up that package to OKC. From everything I've read no trade/no Kawhi so it's not really the same scenario to compare.

I think this is a great trade from a Rockets standpoint,they got out from under CP3's contract and if it's not working between Harden & Westbrook by the deadline/next offseason then Houston moving Westbrook will be much easier than it was moving Paul.
    I'd be curious to hear Galaxy's opinion on this trade when Houston was his team.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

With Westbrook they can trade Harden.

• TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

I think when Galaxy is done partying he will let us know he liked the trade. After all, getting out from under the CP3 contract and adding Westbrook just made the Rockets relevant again. Like you said, if things don't work out Westbrook will have interested suitors willing to part with viable assets. All CP3 would bring is a swap of bad contracts and maybe a 1-20 protected 1st from a later year draft or a 2nd round pick from a team that is built to win right now and just needs a PG. Otherwise you have to trade CP3 to a bad team for a bunch of expiring deals and give up assets in the process because his deal has multiple years left.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just chatting with galaxy27 and this trade/thread may bring him back.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2019 4:03PM

ok so i'm talking golf cards with Larkin via text and i made the mistake of asking if Eric had created a Westbrook thread. i'm generally a man of my word -- make no mistake, i'm still incensed with what's going on at PSA and all of the bootlicking taking place across the street -- but i'm going nuts not being able to talk sports..........especially with what's been transpiring in the association. it has been the craziest ass offseason of my lifetime. it's like the big dogs are seeing who can put the best ren & stimpy combo out on the floor next season while confusing the hell out of everyone in the process.

but now for nba musical chairs du jour

Daryl Morey is married and an ugly guy, but if he happens to frequent adult establishments here in Houston (they are omnipresent), he should never be required to pay for another lap dance the rest of his life. shedding that albatross of a contract........while Chris Paul has been simultaneously shedding talent all over the court.........and getting The Brodie in return.......was nothing short of Houdiniesque. like, i can't believe it. but honestly, i shouldn't be. Tilman Fertitta has been homicidal ever since the Rockets puked up the series against the Durant-less Warriors. he simply was not going to stand pat. and then when Houston slid to roughly 5th in the West due to all of the blockbuster moves taking place, i knew something dramatic was about to go down. but i didn't know what exactly.

as for Westbrook coming to H-town, my visceral reaction was i honestly didn't know how this is going to play out. i think the Rockets will be must-see and definitely improved from last year, but then again, so are at least three other top-tier teams in the WC. watch out for the Jazz, and the LA team to beat is not going to be the one most might think. the Clips are going to be scary good. we all know that KL & PG can put the biscuit in the basket, but those two on the floor along with Patrick Beverley? i wish opposing teams the very best in their quest to score against them. all i know is i can't freaking wait for next season to start.

a parting word on CP3 as he leaves the city limits. i don't know what everyone thinks about him, but when coming to a decision you should take this into consideration. when JJ Watt created a relief fund for hurricane harvey victims, the very first celebrity to contact him with his pen and checkbook out was Chris Paul. mind you, he probably couldn't even get around the city effectively because he had just been traded to the Rockets a month or so prior to the storm, yet contributing to the welfare of his new community was of utmost importance to him as he was becoming acclimated. a great player for a long time, but that philanthropic move is going to be the lasting impression he leaves on me.

some great analysis by TennisCoach up above -- you should post more often dude. hope everyone is doing well.

(edit: my interest in Alex Morgan is 11 out of 10.)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    ok so i'm talking golf cards with Larkin via text and i made the mistake of asking if Eric had created a Westbrook thread. i'm generally a man of my word -- make no mistake, i'm still incensed with what's going on at PSA and all of the bootlicking taking place across the street -- but i'm going nuts not being able to talk sports..........especially with what's been transpiring in the association. it has been the craziest ass offseason of my lifetime. it's like the big dogs are seeing who can put the best ren & stimpy combo out on the floor next season while confusing the hell out of everyone in the process.

Daryl Morey is married and an ugly guy, but if he happens to frequent adult establishments here in Houston (they are omnipresent), he should never be required to pay for another lap dance the rest of his life. shedding that albatross of a contract........while Chris Paul has been simultaneously shedding talent all over the court.........and getting The Brodie in return.......was nothing short of Houdiniesque. like, i can't believe it. but honestly, i shouldn't be. Tilman Fertitta has been homicidal ever since the Rockets puked up the series against the Durant-less Warriors. he simply was not going to stand pat. and then when Houston slid to roughly 5th in the West due to all of the blockbuster moves taking place, i knew something dramatic was about to go down. but i didn't know what exactly.

as for Westbrook coming to H-town, my visceral reaction was i honestly didn't know this is going to play out. i think they will be must-see and definitely improved from last year, but then again, so are at least three other top-tier teams in the WC. watch out for the Jazz, and the LA team to beat is not going to be the one most might think. the Clippers are going to be scary good. we all know that KL & PG can put the biscuit in the basket, but those two on the floor along with Patrick Beverley? i wish opposing teams the very best in their quest to score against them. all i know is i can't freaking wait for next season to start.

a parting word on CP3 as he leaves the city limits. i don't know what everyone thinks about him, but when coming to a decision you should take this into consideration. when JJ Watt created a relief fund for hurricane harvey victims, the very first celebrity to contact him with his pen and checkbook out was Chris Paul. mind you, he probably couldn't even get around the city effectively because he had just been traded to the Rockets a month or so prior to the storm, yet contributing to the welfare of his new community was of utmost importance to him as he was becoming acclimated. a great player for a long time, but that philanthropic move is going to be the lasting impression he leaves on me.

some great analysis by TennisCoach up above -- you should post more often dude. hope everyone is doing well.

Absolutely. Sports are sports, but helping people in need is a lot bigger than sports. That takes heart and soul. I help counsel homeless people for a living. I help them get back on their feet, find work, help them with food donations etc., and their is no better feeling than helping people who are hurting. I see all kinds of tragedy everyday at my job, and some days, it's overwhelming to see what these people have been through. For Chris Paul to help out people in need, says a lot about him and his character.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

as for Westbrook coming to H-town, my visceral reaction was i honestly didn't know how this is going to play out. i think the Rockets will be must-see and definitely improved from last year, but then again, so are at least three other top-tier teams in the WC. watch out for the Jazz, and the LA team to beat is not going to be the one most might think. the Clips are going to be scary good. we all know that KL & PG can put the biscuit in the basket, but those two on the floor along with Patrick Beverley? i wish opposing teams the very best in their quest to score against them. all i know is i can't freaking wait for next season to start.

It's gonna be interesting to see how Russ & Harden look together. You read one article and these two didn't want to play together again, then read another article and they're still close friends and are looking forward to this.
    Morey just signed my backup center I was hoping Boston would sign,Tyson Chandler, but Tacko might make it onto the team instead. Also Houston is going hard after Iguodala,if they can pull that off without giving up one of their core pieces I'd put the Rockets up there with any other contender in the West. We know the Clippers are going to be nasty,the Jazz pretty much added everything that their team was missing all in one offseason and I still think people are sleeping on the Warriors. Russell is no Klay Thompson but I can see he & Curry running together in the same backcourt. I'm not totally convinced on the Lakers yet but if that team makes it into the postseason with somewhat decent health then they'll be a tough out.
    I think the Celtics had a great draft especially if Tacko does end up making the team,he's a bit stiff but he's got some game.
    I can't wait for this season to get here already.
    Even though not much has changed next door you should still pop in every now & then.