Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

?Best British Crown Design?

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 11, 2019 8:08AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

What would be reader's choice for Best Crown Design?
I will submit the following, based on Wyon's 1910 work:

Note that PCGS would not slab this even with documentation of this coin coming from The Spink Patina sale of 2001. Slab has error date of "1911" when the Roman numerals are for 1910.
Meanwhile they do slab similar coins that also are not regularly catalogued by Krause - I do not understand this.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably the Victoria Gothic crown because both sides are nice.
    I would like the "three graces" best if not for the George III obverse -

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Churchill...someone was going to say it.

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Broken Spear!

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2019 12:34PM

@Elmhurst said:
    Churchill...someone was going to say it.

Yes, I was!

There are lots of great designs and some I don't even know about, but I have always liked the lowly Churchill crown - the Rodney Dangerfield of the British coin world (gets no respect).

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL. Yes, I like it to for the realism.
    I also agree with the Three Graces comments. Doggone GIII wrecks the obverse.

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one.....

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my top 3 coin designs:

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have maybe a dozen of those Patina/Retro thingies. Fantasy to Replicas. A Guilty Pleasure. I would NEVER show them to a knowledgeable collector (and possibly wouldn't show them to anybody). Illegitimate stuff.

If I get some advance notice that I am checking out soon, I think I will have to throw them into the creek. Don't wish to confuse my heir.

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I have maybe a dozen of those Patina/Retro thingies. Fantasy to Replicas. A Guilty Pleasure. I would NEVER show them to a knowledgeable collector (and possibly wouldn't show them to anybody). Illegitimate stuff.

If I get some advance notice that I am checking out soon, I think I will have to throw them into the creek. Don't wish to confuse my heir.

Shhhh. We won't tell!

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2019 7:39PM

Any for sale, in gold or silver?

And I do agree with you to an extent, but the golds sold for barely above bullion and some very nice designs. Not true coins, but still perhaps enjoyable to some....

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some silver British retro pieces, none for sale. I really might eventually throw them in the creek. That would assuage my guilty conscience for buying them. I didn't have the cash back then for the real George IV and William IV pieces I wanted. I have done a bit better since those days.

A review of eBay suggests that our hosts do indeed slab the retro pieces now. I only looked at three pages of "retro" offerings and saw several that must have been slabbed recently (based upon the style of the holder and the insert). The search word "retro" brings up far more coin-like stuff nowadays.

When I bought these retro things fifteen years ago, they were dirt cheap.

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@harasha said:
    One of my top 3 coin designs:

I love the art deco feel of those crowns. I have a nicely toned raw "slider" at home and have been wanting to get a higher grade slabbed one but haven't found the right one yet.