Home Q & A Forum

Mean green pvc

Is there a way to get green pvc crap out of the the crevices of a coin. I dipped it in acetone for about 30 seconds and didn’t do much good. I definitely don’t want to scrub it there to try to get it out. Any suggestions? Thanks.

“Malted milk, malted milk, keep rushing to my head. And I have a funny funny feeling, I’m talking all out my head...” Robert Johnson

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of coin?

Without the basics like denomination, date, mint mark, and a few pics the opinions you get will be in direct correlation of what you provide.

Wooden toothpick, magnifier, and good eyes.

Acetone will not hurt the coin leave longer.

• I just meant in general terms. I found some silver commemoratives in PVC holders and they had some funky green stuff on them.

“Malted milk, malted milk, keep rushing to my head. And I have a funny funny feeling, I’m talking all out my head...” Robert Johnson

Green on copper can be verdigris.

Green on non-copper could be a PVC reaction.

Use acetone and soak for awhile; use a wooden toothpick; or get better coins.

Use acetone in well ventilated place; and don’t use non-pure acetone. If it smells “pretty” like many fingernail polish removers then it has additives which will mess up the coin. Use pure acetone.

General terms.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone will not react with silver. Leave the coins soaking in a glass jar with a lid for hours. The green goop will dissolve. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Acetone won’t affect the mint luster? I thought I read somewhere that if you leave it in too long it would. Thanks for the info.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2019 4:47AM

Like @Namvet69 and @Hemispherical have said, acetone won't react with the metal in the coin, only adhered organics, and it will not affect luster. I'm not sure where you read that info, but I would suggest doing another search.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get yourself some hawthorn thorns. these are hard and very pointy and when used, u can use fine sand paper to refresh the point to very, very fine.
    If you find a hawthorn bush, get a bunch of branches, take them home and cut the pointed thorns off. let them dry to very dry. in the warm air. You will have extremely effective and safe "crap removers" for years.
    These are hard, but much softer than metal and leave no traces or scratches. And they are much pointier than tooth picks. They work great together with Acetone.
    have heard some guys use rose thorns.
    Caution: do not let small kids play with them and, after you use them, make sure you wipe the point with a bit of acetone to remove whatever is left from the previous job.
    good luck.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you decide to poke at debris with a thorn tip, I suggest you practice on a junk coin because a thorn tip can leave a scratch mark on a coin. That would be bad. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-70. Then it depends on how much time (slow soak or quick) you wish to spend. Wish I were allowed to write more but that would cut down on the conservation business. :wink:

edited July 14, 2019 11:31AM

@Namvet69 said:
    If you decide to poke at debris with a thorn tip, I suggest you practice on a junk coin because a thorn tip can leave a scratch mark on a coin. That would be bad. Peace Roy

IMO, the thorn does not leave the scratch, the stuff you move around does. Use a soft, young thorn rather than a hard one. This rose thorn business is all so "old-time." LOL.

but it works and does NOT leave marks..
    when I use it it is only to get into the tiny nooks and grannies...

@YQQ said:

BTW, anyone who attempts to remove ANYTHING on a coin using any "tool" of convenience including a thorn without doing it using a stereomicroscope and fluorescent light is .... ah, ...

@YQQ said:

What about grandpas?

@Insider2 said:

BTW, anyone who attempts to remove ANYTHING on a coin using any "tool" of convenience including a thorn without doing it using a stereomicroscope and fluorescent light is .... ah, ...

...light is...”grannies and grandpas”...

—————

:D:)

Oh well, you guys are funny... :D
    Stereo scope hey???

edited August 1, 2019 5:00PM

@YQQ said:
    Oh well, you guys are funny... :D
    Stereo scope hey???

Yes. It magnifies the coin's surface. That's the difference between the usual ham-fisted conservation "Ex-Pert" and some others. :wink:

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Methylene chloride for PVC. Wet a Q-tip with it and gently roll it over the coin to lift it off. Use fresh Q-tips until they don't show any green.

thefinn