Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

OK, I have to tell. (Completed my Gov't of Texas set)

I know for a fact that a couple of people on this forum will enjoy this post. So, here is the deal. I walked into a local coin shop recently. Not to mention that I have only been in it a few times over the last couple decades and don't know anyone working there. Since I am a currency collector, of course I was drawn to the paper case and was pleasantly surprised to see some decent Republic of Texas. I casually mentioned that is my passion and the guy replied by asking if I were looking for anything specific? I chuckled to myself and said, "Well I do need a three," not specifying Republic or Gov't.

It was all I could do act somewhat nonchalant as my mouth dropped when he rather casually tossed a friggin $3 Gov't of Texas on the counter while sputtering "Oh, Like this one?" I was stunned to say the least as he related that it had just come in the store a couple days earlier and he hadn't put it out yet.

Long story short, this was literally the ONLY note I was lacking to complete my sets of Republic and Gov't of Texas. I am incredibly happy to fill that gaping hole. So with no further adu......

https://imgur.com/a/YhDncCS

Comments

• Options
    DontTellTheWifeDontTellTheWife Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Congrats! I can feel your excitment!!

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Sweet!! Big congratulations on completing your set. Those are cool notes with some amazing history.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

No small accomplishment, the lower denomination notes are usually quite scarce whilst the larger denomination notes that were issued later are rather common.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, very nice. Congratulations.

It's always a good idea to ask. This time it really paid off.

Thanks for sharing your excitement and accomplishment.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Like it quite a bit, congratulations!

Oh, and that five does not suck either by the way.
    ;)

• Options
    texiantexian Posts: 22 ✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    No small accomplishment, the lower denomination notes are usually quite scarce whilst the larger denomination notes that were issued later are rather common.

Yes, in the Government series. Of course in the Republic set, the $500 is pretty scarce. Good thing I acquired mine over 20 years ago.

Thanks to all that appreciated the accomplishment. And yes Staircoins, I am quite proud of that 5. I have never seen a finer example. I got it a decade ago. None of mine are graded, but I am curious as to what the 5 would score.

• Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Fantastic -- I bet you were dancing out the door! Were you able to get a reasonable deal on these?

Intrigued by all things intaglio.