Home U.S. Coin Forum

How does eBay treat sales tax on returns?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Refunds at local merchants also refund the sales tax if you return something.
How in the world will eBay treat returns? Seems a bookkeeping nightmare.

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simple computer program.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Refunds at local merchants also refund the sales tax if you return something.
    How in the world will eBay treat returns? Seems a bookkeeping nightmare.

Should be very straightforward. The NY State reporting form, for example, has a box for returns. eBay should be able to simply refund the sales tax with the return and then report the amount returned when they file.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

They pocket "the change".

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep us updated on this.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Keep us updated on this.

Oh I will. Excitement like this is rare on this board.

I may start "Sales tax watch" soon. B)

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Only if they want to commit a crime.

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Can you document this, because this is a major league crime involving 40+ states.

A fraud like this could put ebay out of business and a lot of people in jail.

Where are you getting this information, because if it is true . . . .

edited July 7, 2019 8:15PM

Once experienced Ebay users have to question procedures and protocol, the platform is doomed.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

no they don't, they send the money back to buyer how paid

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

no they don't, they send the money back to buyer how paid

+1

I had a transaction canceled after paying and received two separate refunds from ebay; one for my purchase price plus shipping, the other for sales tax. When you pay for an item, your total payment is broken into two paypal payments, as well.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

They refund the tax along with the payment for the item.

Comes through as 2 refunds from the seller and the tax from eBay.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried to get some cointroversy started with my earlier post, but...
    Speaking of change...

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@FSF said:
    I've got an idea. Why don't some software programmers here and I create an algorithm such that all ebay sales tax amounts get rounded down to the nearest penny. The residual fraction of a penny will then be diverted to a bank account that we set up. And we don't have to think of it as stealing. It's really no different than taking a penny from the free change tray at most convenience stores.

Watch the movie Office Space.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see the new sales tax going away anytime soon. once the states see this new money rolling in, they spend it before they even get it.

@Coinstartled said:
    Once experienced Ebay users have to question procedures and protocol, the platform is doomed.

"Experienced eBay users" aren't necessarily experienced business people, especially if they are in a state that doesn't tax coins and it is not something they've ever dealt with.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

https://youtu.be/snTaSJk0n_Y

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

"Experienced eBay users" aren't necessarily experienced business people, especially if they are in a state that doesn't tax coins and it is not something they've ever dealt with.

Precisely my point. Any dolt could buy stuff on Ebay 15 years ago. The advanced dolts could sell stuff. Need a rule book thicker than the Affordable care Act playbook now to decipher the tangled mess that Ebay has become.

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a good link to an explanation BY eBay outlining what the rollout and plan is for sales tax:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you click the link I posted above there is a table showing if/when sales tax is being rolled out by state and what the state sales tax rules are.

Might be worthwhile to post it as its own thread.

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

Precisely my point. Any dolt could buy stuff on Ebay 15 years ago. The advanced dolts could sell stuff. Need a rule book thicker than the Affordable care Act playbook now to decipher the tangled mess that Ebay has become.

eBay fought the sales tax issue. Only your limitless bias lays that at eBay's door. In fact, eBay has done a TREMENDOUS JOB of making the sales tax issue easy - THEY DO IT ALL FOR YOU, for free!!!!

@ShadyDave said:
    If you click the link I posted above there is a table showing if/when sales tax is being rolled out by state and what the state sales tax rules are.

Might be worthwhile to post it as its own thread.

There are already several such threads

• RINATIONALSRINATIONALS Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I tried to get some cointroversy started with my earlier post, but...
    Speaking of change...

Wow, who ever cracked that out of the encased holder ruined the 3rd best one ever!! What a shame......

buying Rhode Island Nationals please email, PM or call 401-295-3000

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file