Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

Silver and copper giveaway drawing on 7/3/2019

CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 16, 2019 11:34PM in Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

So this is my first giveaway. This is my way of getting to know some of you and to learn about what motivates other collectors. This is also in memory of my great-grandmother who past away last January at the age of 92, her birthday was July 3.
The prize will be given at random from the pot of entries. The prize will be one of three silver pcgs slabbed coins and a set of 1963 copper Lincoln cents in Air-Tite capsules.
Entry deadline is midnight 7-2-2019 PST.
To enter:
1) Start your post with Giveaway Entry to be entered into the drawing. Only one entry per person. You may post as many comments as you like, but you will only be entered for the drawing once.
2) Tell the story of who or what event in your life got you started in coin collecting and why that person, people, or event(s) are important to you. Tell as much or as little as you like as long as it is a true story.
3) Choose one of the three slabbed silver coins as your wanted prize.

The amount of information you share will not effect your chances of winning, this is a random draw.
The winner will be randomly drawn on 7-3-2019. I will message the winner after the drawing. I will cover shipping charges to the U.S., for international I will cover the first $10 of shipping anything over that will need compensation.

Prizes:
1963 Proof and Uncirculated P & D Lincoln Copper Cents in Air-Tite plastic capsules.

Select one of these silver slabbed coins
2000-S PCGS PR69DCAM Massachusetts Silver 25C Cert# 35332318

2015 PCGS MS68 Canada Great Horned Owl $5 Cert# 34043824

1897-JF PCGS MS67 Peru 1/2 Dinero Cert# 15493151

Comments

• bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Giveaway Entry, and thanks for the chance.

My passion for coins came from my grandfather, who passed July 4th 2014. I use to go up to his little office he had and watch him sort through change always wondering what he was looking for. As time went on and I got older I found my own love for the hobby, preserving history and thinking to myself, where has this coin been, whos used it and for what... the great mystery of never knowing but all the same still intriguing!

2000S Washington..

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• MjwagsMjwags Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

Giveaway Entry
    I started collecting when my father-in-law passed a little while ago. He had a collection that he left to us and the more I started looking at them the more interested I became. I still have a lot to learn but there's been a lot of info on here so I'm grateful.
    1897 Peruvian coin
    Thank you for the opportunity.

• Giveaway Entry
    My grandfather gave me some coin books and I started coin roll hunting. He taught me what to look for and I started to love it. 2015 Canadian Great Horned Owl. Thanks for the giveaway. :)

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Giveaway entry:
    I got into coin collecting when my aunt and uncle gave me an America the Beautiful folder and some coins and ever since then I just got hooked and I started to get into older coins. That was 7 years ago and now I have many world and US coins including some 1700s US.

I have to say the Peru 1/2 dinaro because I found a 1 dinaro in the foreign coin bin at my local coin shop for a couple cents and I just fell in love with it; it reminds me of seated liberty dimes.
    Thank you for the giveaway!

• CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you very much to the four of you that have shared so far. It looks like all of us were inspired by a family member to start collecting coins.

• DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Giveaway Entry.

I received a can and box full of foreign coins and currency from my dad from his service in WWII. I hid them away and then added to them when I finished my service in the military in the seventies. After my kids were moved out and on their own I stumbled on this small hoard over a year ago and it sparked my interests into an obsession. And now Collectors Universe is my collecting home. I have learned a lot from everyone here. Thanks

2015 Canadian Horned Owl

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

Giveaway Entry. Thanks for the opportunity!

My interest in the hobby was supported at a very young age by my Grandparents, whom I would visit in the city often, and spend many nights/weekends there.

They themselves weren't collectors, but encouraged me to look thru pocket change to fill holes in my blue Whitman folders, starting with Lincolns & Jeffersons, and later branching out to Mercs/Roosies & Washies. I can still remember laying on their living room floor doing so.

They would walk the mile or so with me from public transportation down to "Smelter's Row", where I would sift thru coffee cans of "melt" silver dimes & quarters looking to fill holes in the dime & quarter collections. I wish I had been more aware back then, as I didn't go after halves or dollars, nor back into SLQ's or Barbers. I didn't go after larger denominations until man years later, after silver had been removed from circulating coins. :( And back then, I limited what I bought to just allowance money, as 4 times face was an "extravagance" for me.

Back then, they also had Horn & Hardarts' and a coin sales counter at Woolworth's (both downtown Philly), which I also visited on trips with my grandparents.

Over the years, I never strayed from the blue Whitman folders, or the goal of filling as many hoes as I can. To me, besides a fun hobby & a link to the past, it keeps me "in touch" with my roots and Grandparents (long since passed away, unfortunately). In time, my sets will be passed down to my boys and their kids, and I hope to be a similar doting Grandparent who sparks a similar interest in a future generation of collectors.........

Thanks for the opportunity to retell my story, with a potential prize to boot! I'm looking forward to reading more (but not TOO MANY to harm my odds of winning!) responses with similar stories!

My prize of choice?............2015 Canadian Horned Owl.

Thanks!

• lonn47lonn47 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

i started collecting when my grandma used to come to the house every year and give all my brothers and sister one kennedy half dollar each,

1963 set

edited June 23, 2019 6:00AM

@lonn47 said:
    i started collecting when my grandma used to come to the house every year and give all my brothers and sister one kennedy half dollar each,

Is this a giveaway entry? The 1963 cent set are apart of the prize, please make a choice between one of the slabbbed coins for the rest of the prize.

• NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Giveaway Entry

My dad had a collection when I was young. I never really paid any attention to it until I was in High School and he bought some 1981 proof sets. Later we found out there was a Type 1 and 2 so we dug them out and discovered we had the Type 2, which sold at a premium. So he sold them at a coin show and made a nice profit. That got me started in collecting coins.

I would pick the 2015 Canadian Owl coin. Thanks for letting me tell my story.

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Giveaway entry

Thanks for the giveaway. Like many, mine started with my father who I lost way back in 1987. I was only 23 at the time. My father was an avid coin, currency, and stamp collector and he was always at a show or conversing by typewriter to one of his many sources.

He took me to many shows and I started out with a Dansco Lincoln album filling holes. Some dealers were very kind to a new kid collecting and gave me some breaks along the way that I still remember and am thankful for today. Fast forward to 1987 when I lost my father my interest and opportunity to go to coin shows with my father vanished.

Fast forward again to 2006. I had a co-worker who was into coins and was always asking co-workers if they had any silver coins and he would buy for a premium over face. This got me thinking about coins again. He then showed me something he referred to as his 'registry set' of Washington Proof quarters graded by PCGS - which I had not heard of until that day. Well, as time went on, and his enthusiasm about his set and building it up in rank got me thinking I should start a registry set; which I choose seated quarters due their relative rarity, heavy use in commerce, and overall design.

13 years I am still plugging holes in my Dansco Lincoln album and have built a decent registry set of business strike seated quarters.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/liberty-seated-quarters-major-sets/liberty-seated-quarters-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1838-1891/publishedset/52926

Freddie

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Giveaway entry

I don’t honestly remember exactly how I got started, from the edges of my memory there was always a “coin collection” box in my room. My grandparents would bring bicentennial coins, silver dimes, Kennedy halves, or whatever else they came across when they visited, and for reward occasions my parents would take me to the local coin shop and let me pick out a buffalo nickel or mercury dime.

I had albums for modern lincoln cents (I remember struggling to pop the pennies into some of the holes, and the pennies always popping back out) and later for silver Roosies too. Never anything big, but I spent a lot of time dreaming of coins I found in the red book.

Canada Owl

• BIGWEBBBIGWEBB Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

Giveaway entry
    My grandma raised me from 4 months old so she was momma not grandma and when she passed I found a fireproof box with a bunch of silver certs and 90% and a load of Morgan's. Well as I wondered what to do with them I started to look into the Morgan's and some of the stories I read caught my attention. Then I started to imagine who could have had that coin in their pocket way back when. My imagination ran wild so as I looked into the Morgan's I started to run across other coinage and I started to notice the beauty in some of these coins and let's just say after that I was hooked. So I've been collecting about 2 years now so I'm still a rookie but I've learned a lot and I've definitely learned a lot on these forums. The people on here are so knowledgeable and some passionate it makes me love collecting all over again. Thanks for the chance and have a good one. PS I'd love the PERU 1/2 DN. Thanks.

COOKIES!

• BIGWEBBBIGWEBB Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

@BIGWEBB said:
    Giveaway entry
    My grandma raised me from 4 months old so she was momma not grandma and when she passed I found a fireproof box with a bunch of silver certs and 90% and a load of Morgan's. Well as I wondered what to do with them I started to look into the Morgan's and some of the stories I read caught my attention. Then I started to imagine who could have had that coin in their pocket way back when. My imagination ran wild so as I looked into the Morgan's I started to run across other coinage and I started to notice the beauty in some of these coins and let's just say after that I was hooked. So I've been collecting about 2 years now so I'm still a rookie but I've learned a lot and I've definitely learned a lot on these forums. The people on here are so knowledgeable and some passionate it makes me love collecting all over again. Thanks for the chance and have a good one. PS I'd love the PERU 1/2 DN. Thanks.

So many beautiful coins and so little time to collect them; MY DILEMMA

COOKIES!

• HarlequinHarlequin Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2019 9:59AM

Giveaway Entry

For me it all started about 20 years ago. A good friend of mine who was an avid coin collector gave me a rainbow toned peace $1 for my 31st birthday. Didn't think much of it at the time but over the years I would pull it out of the drawer to look at it and everytime found myself in awe over the beautiful colors and patterns that adorned the coin! After a while, i started collecting toned coins exclusively and currently I am working on completing my Roosevelt toned proof collection which can be seen in the PCGS registry!

2015 PCGS MS68 Canada Great Horned Owl $5 Cert# 34043824

🇺🇸 Harlequin Numismatic
    harlequinnumismatic@gmail.com

• bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Bueller.... Bueller.......

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

Congratulations to our winner, DBSTrader2!
    And thank you again to everyone who has shared. Keep an eye out for my future giveaways.

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the giveaway! I look forward to its arrival - - my new favorite design from Canada!

And thanks to everyone who shared their collecting stories - - it was fun reading them & seeing how many others started with similar encouragement/help as I did! :)