Home Sports Talk
Options

Luka Doncic

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 25, 2019 8:23AM in Sports Talk

Edited to add: I started this thread for the purpose of exposing this phenom to those who don't know him and to discuss his potential. He seems VERY special to me.

He won the Rookie of the Year award almost unanimously last night.

I live in Dallas/Fort Worth so I have been following him since he was drafted. My favorite player is Larry, and watching Luka I definitely see some Bird. (And not for that reason trolls).

Reading an article about his ROY award, this stood out

If you haven't seen him play much or want to see more, here is one of his highlight videos

https://youtu.be/tUTHOGwuFZs

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

International players stole the show last night. From Giannis winning MVP,to Luka's ROY,to Gobert's DPOY,to Siakam's Most Improved Player. Not to mention that the NBA Finals winner was from outside of the US.

• Options

This one is also crazy, per Mavs.com:

Doncic’s averages of 21.2 points, 7.8 rebounds, and 6.0 assists have only been matched by one other rookie in NBA history: Oscar Robertson. The only other rookie to even average 20 points, 6 rebounds, and 5 assists per game was Michael Jordan.

• Options

I'm going to clutter up the top of my thread with some more Luka info. I want to put it in writing here that, barring injury, he will be a truly transcendent player.

He said in an interview that it's easier to score in the NBA than in Europe, where the court is smaller and there is not a 3 second defensive rule. He started playing for Real Madrid at age 13 and his last year he was the league MVP. He's been in Basketball school throughout his teenage years and graduated Magna Cum Laude ready to go. Once he learns the NBA rosters, etc and gets in shape he will be alot better.

The comparison to Bird is very real. The off the ball and team defense. He can score from anywhere. Ball fakes. Post moves. Court vision. Basketball IQ.

What do you guys think?

• Options

Here's a Ball fakes highlight video compiled after the first two months of his rookie season. Worth watching.
    https://youtu.be/FtY9H9zWg6w

• Options

@thisistheshow Be careful if you ever decide to start collecting his autograph. This thread from another forum puts into question almost everything he has signed since getting drafted. I'd say that the only absolute guarantee that you know Luka definitely signed your item is if he did it in person. long read but worth it if you intend to obtain his autograph at some point.
    https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1269359

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    @thisistheshow Be careful if you ever decide to start collecting his autograph. This thread from another forum puts into question almost everything he has signed since getting drafted. I'd say that the only absolute guarantee that you know Luka definitely signed your item is if he did it in person. long read but worth it if you intend to obtain his autograph at some point.
    https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1269359

Thanks for the tip buddy.

So what's your take on this guy?

• Options

I think the Mavs found the perfect player to lead their franchise after Dirk retired. If Porzingas comes back at full health and Cuban locks him up long term,those two will be a strong foundation to build around for the next 10 years.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luka is one Badddddd Mammmma Jammma!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    edited December 2, 2019 6:25PM

Bumping my own thread to say that he has gotten even better. When I started this thread I felt like he was a generational talent. A lot more people see it now.

He just became only the third player ever to average a 30 point triple double for an entire month. Oscar Robertson did it five times, Russell Westbrook twice. Luka is still only 20 years old.

Luka is James Harden mixed with Lebron James mixed with Larry Bird. For real.

Are any of you seeing this guy?

Edit to add: This is him vs the Lakers helping snap the Lakers 10 game win streak
    https://youtu.be/a2USul57gYY

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Bumping my own thread to say that he has gotten even better. When I started this thread I felt like he was a generational talent.
    He just became only the third player ever to average a 30 point triple double for an entire month. Oscar Robertson did it five times, Russell Westbrook twice. Luka is still only 20 years old.
    Luka is James Harden mixed with Lebron James mixed with Larry Bird. For real.
    Are any of you seeing this guy?

You are right, I was waiting to see how he would do after a tremendous Rookie year; thought teams would defend him differently to slow him down. He has the total package and looks to be a generational talent! Too early to call him great, but his game against the Lakers in LA was top notch 🏀🏀🏀