Home Q & A Forum

I have a 1937 Lincoln cent with a error on the face Picture below is this a rare coin?

Best Answers

Answers

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, your coin was damaged after it was made.

• bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Kinda looks like Baine from batman.

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moved metal. Damaged after leaving the Mint, i.e., it is not an error made by the Mint.

Not rare and worth what it says, one cent.

Welcome to the forums @Mariesmp.

• If you saw it in person it is smooth from the ear and where the mouth and chin should be the die looks like it carried the metal to where the ridge is, also there are errors on the reverse side. Unfortunately I don't have a camera that takes a real good picture, this picture is from my phone. Thanks for your opinion

• How do you move metal after leaving the mint?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mariesmp said:
    How do you move metal after leaving the mint?

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@Mariesmp said:
    If you saw it in person it is smooth from the ear and where the mouth and chin should be the die looks like it carried the metal to where the ridge is, also there are errors on the reverse side. Unfortunately I don't have a camera that takes a real good picture, this picture is from my phone. Thanks for your opinion

Certainly post mint damage. I recommend picking up the latest edition of cherry pickers guide. Then diving into the research. Start your journey there and do spot of research. Welcome to the boards

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I strongly recommend trying to learn the minting and die making process. You received answers from people who are very knowledgeable in this area. Once you pic up on the basics, you'll easily see why this cannot be a mint error. No way no how.

Www.doubleddie.com has some good info as a starter.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mariesmp said:
    If you saw it in person it is smooth from the ear and where the mouth and chin should be the die looks like it carried the metal to where the ridge is, also there are errors on the reverse side.

How would a die "carry metal"? How would a raised ridge appear where the die was flat?

The "errors" on the reverse side are the result of the damage o the obverse. It is all consistent with Post Mint Damage.

edited June 28, 2019 2:08PM

@Mariesmp said:

:o

Easy....take a cent, put it on a solid surface such as a concrete floor or steel anvil and hit with a hammer. You'll move lots of metal. Add other tools such as chisels, etc. and you can do a .lot of things.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mariesmp said:

Try a screwdriver, ice pick, saw blade, drill, hammer, pliers. knife, fork, or spoon. Thank you <3 very much for thanking me for my opinion. :)

When I was a kid I used to do all sorts of crazy things to coins with various hand and power tools.

I guess these days people are all living online in a virtual world.

Maybe we need to take some Instagrams and Twitters of us damaging coins in the real world and then post them to the Facebook so people can watch them on their YouTubes. :D