Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Ever had this happen to your Registry set?

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, you spend a lot of time (years) and money to put together a Registry set and finally get the 106 cards required and reach 100%. You continue to search for obscure cards and have the few you find added to the composition. You are 100% for years, but you know of 1 or 2 cards that would fit the Master set and be accepted by PSA to be included into the composition. You know there are about 8 cards in PSA slabs, and the 2nd is all but non-existent, a few of the first card are in Registry sets, so you know those won't ever get turned loose. You still search and search.

So, along comes a composition change out of the blue. Yup, somebody submits a card to PSA and its the card you've searched high and low for and PSA adds the card. Well, the big issue is that whoever did this, is NOT collecting the set. Had the person been a collector of the set, no problem, but this is not the case. At least half of the set in question could be obtained over night, easy to do.

It will more than likely either take a very, very long time, if ever, to find a card to match the composition. I actually doubt that I'll ever find it, it is indeed very, very rare. I have no clue what people who do things like this are thinking. Obviously it has impacted me, and had to be done with a malicious thought process, or they just didn't care.

I was reluctant to post this, I didn't want to sound too whiney, whiney, but felt I had to vent, and wanted to know if and how often this might have happened to other collectors.

The set took me over 6 years to finish. Venezuelan cards are not easy to come by, raw, half ripped, or otherwise.

So, if you're reading this, I hope you got the thrill you were seeking.

Comments

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

Some people dont publish their set ...he might just be collecting

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

And some people (who don't own the card) take the cert from other sets and ask PSA to add the card to a certain composition.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 5:30AM

@MCMLVTopps said:

@lawyer05 said:

And some people (who don't own the card) take the cert from other sets and ask PSA to add the card to a certain composition.

If they don’t have a Tiant set, they can’t ask for something to be added to the composite. What they probably do is start a set, have it added, and then delete their set.

Edit to add: I’m not addressing the “right or wrong” aspect of your post. Simply clarifying PSA’s rules and procedures for others reading this.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

@DBesse27 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@lawyer05 said:

If they don’t have a Tiant set, they can’t ask for something to be added to the composite. What they probably do is start a set, have it added, and then delete their set.

Edit to add: I’m not addressing the “right or wrong” aspect of your post. Simply clarifying PSA’s rules and procedures for others reading this.

I believe your analysis is correct, I stand corrected.
    Having discussed this issue years ago, I believe certain set collectors had been targeted and had some certs used by others, who also had similar sets. If an offering was up on eBay, if I recall correctly, that cert would be used to enhance their sets. It got a bit convoluted, but needless to say, I have no issue with any comp changes IF you are collecting the set.

You are either a legitimate collector of a set, or you're not...pretty simple. I've gotten over being PO'd, time to move on.

@MCMLVTopps said:

@DBesse27 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@lawyer05 said:

Having discussed this issue years ago, I believe certain set collectors had been targeted and had some certs used by others, who also had similar sets. If an offering was up on eBay, if I recall correctly, that cert would be used to enhance their sets. It got a bit convoluted, but needless to say, I have no issue with any comp changes IF you are collecting the set.

You are either a legitimate collector of a set, or you're not...pretty simple. I've gotten over being PO'd, time to move on.

Oh yeah, I misunderstood part of your post. Separate issues, but you’re right. There are those who steal cert numbers from eBay and 4SC to add to their sets. I don’t understand the thrill of “pretending” to own a card just to be #1 or #2 on a website somewhere, but it does happen. Maybe with less frequency than it used to. I know @LarkinCollector has dealt with that a lot on his master registries

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@DBesse27 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@lawyer05 said:

Oh yeah, I misunderstood part of your post. Separate issues, but you’re right. There are those who steal cert numbers from eBay and 4SC to add to their sets. I don’t understand the thrill of “pretending” to own a card just to be #1 or #2 on a website somewhere, but it does happen. Maybe with less frequency than it used to. I know @LarkinCollector has dealt with that a lot on his master registries

Just one Master registry, but the guy built his entire master set with flip #s from 4SC and eBay, pretty sure he didn't own a single card. Every time I made a purchase I had to submit the cert removal email, he would never take action, and I'd have to involve the set registry folks to remove his certs and provide front/back scans.

Ridiculous!

Yaz Master Set

@MCMLVTopps said:

@lawyer05 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@lawyer05 said:

thats sucks

@LarkinCollector said:

@DBesse27 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@DBesse27 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@lawyer05 said:

Just one Master registry, but the guy built his entire master set with flip #s from 4SC and eBay, pretty sure he didn't own a single card. Every time I made a purchase I had to submit the cert removal email, he would never take action, and I'd have to involve the set registry folks to remove his certs and provide front/back scans.

that sucks also

@lawyer05 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@DBesse27 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@DBesse27 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@lawyer05 said:

that sucks also

They did end up getting a stern warning from the set registry folks after I showed a bunch of before and after screenshots from their removals.

@LarkinCollector said:

@DBesse27 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@DBesse27 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@lawyer05 said:

This is exactly why sellers oftentimes cover the cert #s. 99%+ of the collectors here are pretty straight people to deal with, BUT along comes that 1% who tries to steal. 707 once let me have two key 55 Topps cards for my then first set of 55 Ts.
    He said, "take them, pay me when you can". This when we met in Chicago at the big card show, he didn't know me from Adam. I paid him immediately. That was over 10 years ago.

I once had a guy goo goo all over me because I had a 1of1 card he needed. Well, I tried to help him, while refusing to sell my PSA 9, I had another card sent in for grading. It came back a PSA 7...prior to that this guy told me "somebody in your family is gonna get very very sick soon, and I hope it's you, I hope you die". This after my ongoing refusal to not sell the 9. So, I ended up kinda screwing myself and instead of having the only card graded, I now owned two, a 9 and a 7. I don't do favors anymore.

This is the card he wanted me to die over.

Sounds like a reasonable guy 😂

Yaz Master Set

@MCMLVTopps said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@DBesse27 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@DBesse27 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@lawyer05 said:

This is exactly why sellers oftentimes cover the cert #s. 99%+ of the collectors here are pretty straight people to deal with, BUT along comes that 1% who tries to steal. 707 once let me have two key 55 Topps cards for my then first set of 55 Ts.
    He said, "take them, pay me when you can". This when we met in Chicago at the big card show, he didn't know me from Adam. I paid him immediately. That was over 10 years ago.

I once had a guy goo goo all over me because I had a 1of1 card he needed. Well, I tried to help him, while refusing to sell my PSA 9, I had another card sent in for grading. It came back a PSA 7...prior to that this guy told me "somebody in your family is gonna get very very sick soon, and I hope it's you, I hope you die". This after my ongoing refusal to not sell the 9. So, I ended up kinda screwing myself and instead of having the only card graded, I now owned two, a 9 and a 7. I don't do favors anymore.

This is the card he wanted me to die over.

WOW i sent the MIKE EDEN 1978 SSPC ALL STAR GALLERY WHITE SOX HAND CUTS . THis is the only White Sox Card of Mike Eden , topps did not make him a regular card. (MIKE EDEN WAS BORN IN PANAMA) I have his minor league cards also. Anyways, that was my first time cutting cards. I used a brand new cutter from Office depot. Bought 2 books of the White Sox and got a 9 and a 10 !!! i was so Happy !! anyways i will send you the picture later when i get home... if you would like to see it . I have the 2 Books left with the other White Sox- uncut if someone is interested..

I think the grader of the Bill Lee was having a bad day...even with a magnifying glass I can't see the flaw that dropped this to a 9.

Here is the pride of Southern Illinois

Well done on the hand cut!

Do u remember how much was the offer for the Spaceman? i saw a documentary on him. Pretty Cool

@lawyer05 said:
    Do u remember how much was the offer for the Spaceman? i saw a documentary on him. Pretty Cool

I think the final offer was in the $150+ range. He wasn't gonna get the card anyway, but, when he realized I didn't and wasn't gonna sell, he went whacko city with the hope you die thing. Then he posted that I was trying to rip him off by continuing to raise the price, when in fact it was him who kept upping the offer.

My Bill Lee Master Set digital album...

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/bill-lee-master-set/album/159486

• bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Happens all of the time in the big $ and heavily collected sets. I personally don't mind if someone adds something i am missing from my low $ player collector sets since it helps me build the checklist. What i don't like is when someone adds something and then immediately wants to sell me, or other collectors of the set, their item for an outrageous amount.

By the way, you need to add the 82 Blackless to your Tiant Master checklist :) Nice set!
    Mine from my Blackless set.

@bswhiten said:
    Happens all of the time in the big $ and heavily collected sets. I personally don't mind if someone adds something i am missing from my low $ player collector sets since it helps me build the checklist. What i don't like is when someone adds something and then immediately wants to sell me, or other collectors of the set, their item for an outrageous amount.

By the way, you need to add the 82 Blackless to your Tiant Master checklist :) Nice set!

Agree wholeheartedly. A master set checklist should be complete (Venezuelans, blackless and the works) and it doesn’t bother me at all when the checklist gets expanded. It would bother me much more to say I “completed” a master set when there are cards out there that should be included but are not.

Yaz Master Set

@bswhiten said:

I sent you a PM, in case you missed it...should you ever decide to sell your Tiant blackless, I'd be interested. Had no idea the 1982 Topps had such an issue. You would think that whoever was doing the printing for them at the time would have stopped production in a quality control check. Looks like this card is pretty rare, but there are a lot of blackless cards listed of various players...a term only used to define the lack of black ink when the sheets were mass produced. Some really strange results.

Tks for the education, never knew the card existed.
    LMK
    Al

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Yes! I had the Guy Lafleur Master set Complete at 100 % and won an award then a collector adds some very rare European Sportscaster cards but many other items have also been added to the registry, Master Player sets are tough to finish because items can be added at the owners request,my Montreal Canadiens sets can be seen under the name rocket 52.

Speaking of Sportscaster cards being added...can you see the difference between these two?

Sadly, the only difference is the mice type on the back bottom of this LARGE card. One says Geneva, the other says Lausanne. More sadly is that PSA allowed the second card into the composition. So, now I guess we're supposed to be collecting international city verbiage, not a US baseball player. :/

One was issued in the US (03 005 before the card number), the other in the UK (13 064).

While not as interesting as most of the different countries the Sportscasters were issued in, since the language on both of these is English, many other subjects have backs in French, Italian, Finnish, Swedish, Dutch, and/or German. These are most definitely not the same card, though the fronts are similar ...