Home Sports Talk

Thank you Toronto.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

EOM

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toronto won four more games in the finals than I expected. Good thing I'm not a gambler.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too thought GS was going to win based of course on their current dynasty status.

Most everyone from the casual fan to the most respected expert had no idea of the talent, grit and total team unity of this Raptors team.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flag haters of the NBA should be thrilled to see the trophy leave the USA.

The irony is palpable.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

as an unbiased observer, the unsung hero for the Raptors is VanVleet. Knocked down key shots repeatedly, played tough D and gave them that 3 point threat to keep GS honest. didn't know he was an undrafted player. Just goes to show that it is definitely not an exact science. Who knows what would have happened if that Leonard shot against the Sixers doesn't drop. Anyway, my congrats to the Raptors; they did beat the champs in a great game six. Also, feel so bad for Thompson; hope his recovery is quick. Love watching him play.

• 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

The game was invented by Dr. James Naismith, a Canadian, so it’s highly appropriate that a Canadian based team finally wins the trophy.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@45isodd said:
    The game was invented by Dr. James Naismith, a Canadian, so it’s highly appropriate that a Canadian based team finally wins the trophy.

Did the Grizzlies win?

Google is your friend, and the answer is no they didn’t.

You must not watch much basketball.

Grizzlies left Canada 18 years ago.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Toronto won four more games in the finals than I expected. Good thing I'm not a gambler.

It's too bad that GS had all those injuries. But congrats to a very good Raptor team.

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:

Rule #1 of sports gambling: Anything, and I do mean anything can happen in the postseason. Whether that be in single elimination (NCAA, NFL) or best-of-seven (MLB, NBA, NHL). And that seems to be more and more true with each passing year.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

This could be a Mexican...err Canadian standoff.

"Ottawa mayor asks Raptors to skip White House, urges PM Justin Trudeau to invite Raptors for Parliament visit instead."

https://clutchpoints.com/raptors-news-ottawa-mayor-asks-raptors-to-skip-white-house-urges-pm-justin-trudeau-to-invite-raptors-for-parliament-visit-instead/

didn't know that the Canadian officials recognized anything but hockey!

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:
    This could be a Mexican...err Canadian standoff.

"Ottawa mayor asks Raptors to skip White House, urges PM Justin Trudeau to invite Raptors for Parliament visit instead."

https://clutchpoints.com/raptors-news-ottawa-mayor-asks-raptors-to-skip-white-house-urges-pm-justin-trudeau-to-invite-raptors-for-parliament-visit-instead/

Assuming that the WH extends an invitation.

It thought that was SOP for the White House these days. It's more interesting to see if they would accept the invite.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

there currently is no SOP in DC.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    It thought that was SOP for the White House these days. It's more interesting to see if they would accept the invite.

It's quite sad that it would take courage for these NBA players to accept an invitation to the White House for various reasons. Accepting the invite should simply be about celebrating their championship, not about politics.

The players who would like to go, and I believe it is the majority of them, would be ostracized by the haters such as LeBron James and Steph Curry.

Finally, someone who makes sense. It's has nothing to do with the politics or any other policies. It is simply an honor to be invited and receive congrats from one of the most powerful men (meaning the President of the US) in the world. It would add to the scope of the accomplishment.

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Did anyone noticed that the NBA decided for the games in Toronto that the the American anthem was played before O Canada?

The players who would like to go, and I believe it is the majority of them, would be ostracized by the haters such as LeBron James and Steph Curry.

Calling out racism and corruption is not being a “hater”, it’s what a good American living in the 21st Century should do.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@electrode said:
    Did anyone noticed that the NBA decided for the games in Toronto that the the American anthem was played before O Canada?

I think they always play the visiting teams anthem first.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

apparently the Toronto Raptors reign as NBA Champions has come to a premature end, even though it won't be official till next summer. they rented Kahwi Leonard for a season and it was a good move if the "Trophy" is all they wanted, but the fans should be pretty upset with management. it looks like they'll get to be excited for 6-7 months and then lose in the playoffs as is customary for them.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2019 9:29AM

Raptors fans are still celebrating and I don't look at that team losing Kawhi as management's fault when Kawhi was secretly forcing the Raptors & Clippers to battle it out behind the scenes to see who can trade for Paul George first which meant you also got Kawhi. Rumor is that OKC wanted the Raptors to also take on Westbrook too which could be why the Raptors lost out in the end. It also worked in LA's favor that they have been sellers in recent years and had extra first round picks to add to any deal,Toronto went all in to get Kawhi,Green & Gasol which meant they had already dealt away their own picks to add those players. Giving up the amount that it would take would leave them looking like the Lakers after adding AD. In the end Kawhi just wanted to go home and there was nothing that Toronto could do about it.