Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1991-92 UD Czech box break- You can go home again

FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

In honour of game seven of the Stanley cup finals I am breaking a box of junk wax. This UD Czech set was white hot when it came out. I remember packs at 5.00 in Maine. It helped that Paul Kariya and the Ferraro brothers went to UMaine and were in the set.

Now these boxes sell for 10-15. Psa 10 Kariya’s sell for 10-20 dollars so this break is all about nostalgia. My hope is to pack pull a psa 10 Kariya. Fingers crossed.

Pre-rookies include Kovalev, Tkachuk, khabibulin, Hamrlik, Kariya, Straka and nostalgic guys all over the place. Will post results.

Go Blues!

Comments

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2019 6:06PM

WOO-HOO!!!

Hockey, finally!!

Andy

• FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

34 packs. 12 cards per pack. About 450 card and 100 cards in the set. Hmm. I wonder why these sets didn’t hold their value?

Two Hamrlik cards in the first pack. It would be like getting two Dwight Smith cards in an 89 UD high numbers pack for reference for you hockey neophytes.

Kariya in pack 2. Looks like a 10 to me. Sweet.

Poor Jim Campbell. Imagine this being your rookie card?

Three Kimbi Daniels in the pack. Those poor Czech kids. This collation sucks.

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@Frozencaribou I was surprised you were able to type all those names in that first post. I didn't check the spelling on Google, but it looked impressive :) Most of my very limited hockey knowledge comes from talking with a friend of mine. It's always fun to see packs opened even when I don't collect them myself.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

Pack three. Chris Imes was a solid defenseman on UMaines national championship team. Much respect.

Sami Kapanen was a borderline relevant fantasy hockey player for about a decade. That’s all I have to say about that.

• VoteDizzyVoteDizzy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

If you pull any minty Milan Hnilicka's I'd take 'em off your hands. ;)

Hockey - Hrdina - Thunderbirds
    Wrestling - Danielson - Storm - Tajiri

Pack 4. Two of my all-time favourites. Kasparaitis and Straka. Marty Straka was a waterbug with silky mitts. Kasparaitis was a kamakaze hot mess.

Roltson had a number of good years on bad Bruins teams. Scott Niedermayer should have had better rookie card pictures.

Pack four had too many Germans. No one wants to see those.

Pack five included a Sandis Ozolinch. One of the best offensive “defenseman” of his era. On those San Jose teams, who cared? Arturs Irbe looked like he was playing a road hockey game goalie and his GAA reflected it.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pulls. Brings back memories of 1991 upper deck baseball. I must have opened hundreds of packs looking for the auto Nolan Ryan. Never did find it. My hands were so worn down afterwards, I could barely use them. I had to replace my right hand altogether. Today I have a hook where my right hand used to be.

Packs 6-8. Two Chris Ferraro’s. Though he and Peter were twins Chris was less highly regarded. Perhaps that’s why he was a skate tongues out kind of guy.

Keith Tkachuk with his real teeth. HOFer all the way.

And Bo Mirinov. I always had a soft spot for talented underperforming Russians.

@votedizzy- How about gem minty???? Ha.

@VoteDizzy said:

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ WOW, those are sharp!

Andy

Packs 10-12 yielded nothing of note.

But pack 13 is the pack I wish I picked out in 1992 when I was dreaming of my very own Paul Kariya rookie. I would have fainted if I pulled two in one pack. Wow.

And I also got an Alexei Kovalev too. Kovalev was pure magic with the puck. My all-time favourite neurotic Russian. You can take your Bure’s and kovalchuks. I will take Kovalev every time.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Believe it or not, I used to collect some hockey. Back in the day, I bought a box of this at a rink and pulled 2 Kariya. Great memories!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

DBeusse27- please tell me that 27 is for Kovalev’s jersey number.

“Believe it or not, I used to collect some hockey. Back in the day, I bought a box of this at a rink and pulled 2 Kariya. Great memories!”

@Frozencaribou said:
    @votedizzy- How about gem minty???? Ha.

@VoteDizzy said:

Beauties!

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frozencaribou said:
    DBeusse27- please tell me that 27 is for Kovalev’s jersey number.

“Believe it or not, I used to collect some hockey. Back in the day, I bought a box of this at a rink and pulled 2 Kariya. Great memories!”

Nope. Dbesse27 was the email handle given to me by my University in the 1990s and I've used it since.

I was a Bourque fan growing up, but was indifferent to the Bruins. I was also a Sakic fan when he was in Quebec, and when the team moved to Colorado I became an Avs fan for a number of years. When my favorite team (Avs) landed my favorite player (Bourque) and he got to hoist the cup? Hockey nirvana!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

Packs 14-16. Another minty Kariya, which makes 4. If I get 8 Kariyas in this box I’m going to talk about it the rest of my life.

Ziggy Palffy makes his first appearance. Great goal scorer with Jagr like hair in the late 90’s.

Khabibulin showing off his pads he’s had since he was twelve in his rookie card. Solid tender who never quite got a cup.

@Frozencaribou said:
    Khabibulin showing off his pads he’s had since he was twelve in his rookie card. Solid tender who never quite got a cup.

Tampa Bay 2004!

Packs 17-18. Trevor Kidd was my brothers second favourite goalie growing up behind Patrick Roy. I don’t hold it against him.

I do hold a grudge against Yashin though. Why? I am not sure. Was it because he disappeared in the playoffs? Because he held out and forced a trade in which the Senators got the better player in return. Considering I’m watching Zdeno Chara tonight play in game 7, perhaps it’s time to forgive you, Alexei. All is forgiven.

Oh man. Right! Can’t believe I forgot he was the tender in Tampa on that cup run. I stand corrected.

Pack 19 yields Kariya #5! At the beginning of the 1991-92 UMaine season, Kariya played a few games with the Ferraro brothers. It was gimmicky and didn’t work that well, but two thirds of that line was reunited tonight in this pack.

Packs 20-22. For all you Hnilicka fans out there...

Ryan Sittler is one of a long line of offensive US prospects from this time period that fizzled. Happy trails, Ryan.

And my first Brian Rafaski! He was such a pleasure to watch. Such a smart defenseman on those New Jersey cup winning teams.

Packs 23-24. Mike Dunham makes his first two appearances. Another UMaine alum who had a stellar NHL career.

And Alexei Zhitnik, who was a solid NHL defenseman for a long time. There were some real keepers in this 100 card set.

I know you might not believe me but that Peter Ferraro card was $2 all day long in 1992 at Bangor card shows. As good as cash.

John Slaney put up amazing stats in the AHL in his career. Sad that he didn’t do it in the NHL.

Sergei Krivokrasov had a great last name.

Packs 27-29. I was so disappointed when Montreal picked up Zholtok. The 90’s weren’t good on the Habs.

Yashin and Tkachuk put up big numbers their whole careers.

Packs 30-34. The box ends with a few dud packs. Five Kariya’s is still pretty awesome.

Pack 34 yielded my first Robert Petrovicky. He and Michael Nylander were dynamic with the Whalers for about a month or so. Still reminds me of the promise of talented prospects. Anything was possible...

Thanks everyone for following along. I will get the Kariya’s graded and post results.

Congratulations to the Blues! Stanley cup champs for the first time.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019 3:29AM

Congratulations St. Louis, It took guts to put it on Boston last night, in their own house.