Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

2004 People's Bank of China five coin set - Questions

Here are images of a People's Bank of China Five Coin silver set - year of the Rooster Coins. The smaller coins are all one ounce - the larger coin is 21+ ounces. I believe COA says minted at Shanghai Mint. Can't not find anything about this online - any help appreciated.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

More info... the smaller coins are dated 2005. The lower left coin reverse I believe is Australian or British (Silver coin of the twelve animals.) The other smaller coins are Chinese.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Anybody?

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use the Google. Or take the image to your local chinese food joint for translation. Laquered and painted bullion is still bullion if it's actually silver. Could be tourist kitch. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics are too far away, and except for the large one you haven't shown us both ides. :/

You also said "The lower left coin reverse I believe is Australian or British", which I don't understand since it should be very easy to tell the two apart....

And if that huge one is really 21 ounces, I would have been tempted to say goodbye when silver was at $50 an ounce. :D

Here are more images front and back of all coins... the larger one is 667 grams and too large for my macro lens hence the image being cut off top and bottom.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bottom left coin is the same as the 2005 Perth Mint (Australia) Rooster but with different wording (the original has the denomination and “Australia” on it).

I’m guessing this was a special set with collaboration between China and Australia (the Perth Mint will make custom items if there is a large enough order).

I would be fairly certain that it would go for more than spot if offered for sale (how much though depends on venue, who’s looking at the time, etc).

There is a forum that focuses more on Australian items that I used to follow. I’m not sure how active it is now, but it might be worthwhile to register and post your questions over there.

https://silverstackers.com/forums/index.php?find-new/1695266/posts

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly some kind of replicas.

Thx for the pics.

Could be either of the above scenarios.

I assume the answer might lie somewhere in that Chinese COA.

The QEII portrait is a mystery. This was long after the handover of Hong Kong so no idea of the connection.

Also, only the large coin seems to have a denomination on it.

I do see that the top line in the upper section has one box with 12 characters in it, so that perhaps pertains to the QEII 12 animals coin.

The COA reads as follows...

"State Silver Gold Products and Quality Inspection Center (Shanghai)
    Inspection Certificate
    Product Name Memorial Stamp
    Inspection company State Silver Gold Products Product Lee? International
    Product - Shanghai Mint Date of Inspection October 16, 2004
    Place of Inspection 700 Tishan Road
    Product Quantity - 2000 Sample Quantity 20 Pieces
    Sample Quantity - 1"

Could be something lost in translation but the person I got this from spent 15+ years in China and did a fair amount of business with the People's Bank of China and this was a gift to him for the work he was doing.

Sounds like a limited edition of 2000 and they checked 20 for quality purposes.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Well this was an interesting stumble. Thanks OP.
    I have a similar boxed presentation set from 2005 that I can't find any info on either.
    Found in New Zealand from an estate sale where the person who passed, was married to a chinese lady and spent a bit of time in china and Asia Pacific. No idea what his business was, but interesting to note the OPs comments on provenance.

I've searched EVERYWHERE, and this post is the only one that comes close to identifying something similar from the same year - almost there, but not quite - how ironic haha.
    So anyway, I thought I'd share my commemorative medal for comparison, and to add to the known lunar medals issued by the people's bank of china.

This medal (I'll say medal as it has no denomination and the description states its a commemorative medal) is 200g 99.9% silver. In fact, it's almost impossible to find a (80mm) 200g silver medal (without denomination) in the lunar series.
    It also states it's from series 8 - but that doesn't quite fit with the year from what wiki says, but seems like we have a few gaps in our knowledge of this series. OP, if you ever did find anything else, please come back and fill us in.

I mean, more answers would be great, but hey, who knows who else will stumble on this in years to come - like I did, and have something else to contribute.

The attached certificate is translated below with photos

collection certificate
    The Spring Festival is the most solemn and most solemn among Chinese people.
    A lively traditional festival. 2005 is B
    The Year of the Rooster. The rooster sings auspiciousness, good fortune for the New Year.
    In order to welcome the coming Year of the Rooster, I
    We hereby plan and issue the twelve zodiac commemorative medals
    Series 8 - Rooster (Yiyou) Zodiac Commemorative Medal
    A set, silver diameter 80 mm, solid wood packaging,
    The design is novel and the workmanship is exquisite.
    Limited edition of 8000 sets.
    №06100 Director of Shanghai Mint: Zhang Jianliao

• JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a different set but it was similar in that the “coins” did not mention any denomination and had a similar presentation case and Chinese written documentation. I took the set to a dealer and had them tested for silver. Turned out they were all silver plated brass, including the large one.

Yes... likely Chinese fakes... they are very good at it.

Pat

• @JMS1223 said:
    I had a different set but it was similar in that the “coins” did not mention any denomination and had a similar presentation case and Chinese written documentation. I took the set to a dealer and had them tested for silver. Turned out they were all silver plated brass, including the large one.

Exactly what I'm wondering. Thanks for the feedback