Home Stamps Forum
Options

1cent Franklin error?

While checking out the perfin.. I'd like to know what that is too.. I noticed a error on the right 1cent.. any thoughts of the pros?

Comments

• Options

Come on people, you folks are my only hope..please comment any thoughts..thx for your time

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may be a minor inking error but it is doubtful if anyone cares unless it is listed in a catalog. The decline in stamp collecting has been steep. The fact you went so long without a reply is just one indication of this.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Thx alot 291..your honesty is quite honorable..too bad people like me an millions of others don't really appreciate ..until you get into it...these tiny little works of sometimes amazing art, were the first beginnings of the social media path we live today..how instant we've become.. writing letters was a event back when .some are just beautiful calligraphy like cursive ..these were topped off by a stamp that were precious lil bits you protected..
    Pretty cool Stuff
    Just inherited wifeys greatgramps vast collection and I'm trying to give it a go for him....
    Still blows me away these frail bits of paper have survived..jeez can't get them wet,folded,blown off table,lost..to me the mnhs are like a Mona Lisa you've protected for..well.. pushing 200 years....in the back cabinets..yes I'm new an babbling..I'll put a stamp onit.thx again

• Options

Go to the library and see if they have a copy of Scott's Specialized US Stamp Catalog. It will probably be in the reference section. Use it to identify better stamps in the collection. There is still a market for the better stamps and you can make sure they are properly stored or displayed. Handle them very carefully as defects of any kind, which are called "faults" in the stamp hobby, greatly reduce the value of the stamps.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool Stamp. Keeping them this long in fairly good condition means Grandpa stored them well.

Agree about the art. Fantastic and also agree about research. Forums like this are a resource but mostly a sharing and telling about. Vs Asking and receiving instant NC results. Hobby Lobby I believe has a stamp section with books or you can find them in library. Enjoy. You might have some with value so don’t be discouraged it just takes time.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stamp collecting is all but dead. That doesn't mean you can't study and enjoy the collection, but the support system isn't what it used to be.

• Options

And BTW, some of those little bits of paper are artistic marvels.

It is increasingly a bygone era. How many letters do you still receive, and of those, how many have a first class stamp and postmark on them....

• Options

Advice taken...thanks..After his death in 74..a family member who knew nothing about them...heaped them into 2 laundry baskets..1000s of sheets of modern 1940-74 loose..around better,even some standouts willy nilly..I definitely got my work stamped out..

Wait..the horror gets worse..one of the baskets got taken to dump in the 80s

• Options

@Resurector said:
    Wait..the horror gets worse..one of the baskets got taken to dump in the 80s

Noooooooooo! :s:'(

• Options

Those are neat sheets. German hyperinflation issues from the early 1920s. Not sure if they are worth a ton but certainly worth at least a little.

• Options

You will find that most US sheets from the 50s onward (some would say 40s onward) are only worth postage value (they sell at a discount). If they are in great shape they might be worth keeping if you collect stamps. There are a few designs or varieties that are worth more.

Right now I am using 13 cent stamps from the 1970s to mail my letters. i bought them on ebay at 50 or 60% of face value.

• Options

Spend your time looking for better items in the collection. Don't waste time on the cheap stuff. Stamp collections like this can be frustrating to evaluate since they usually contain mountains of cheap stuff.

All glory is fleeting.