Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

I'm a coin collector but have 1 currency note

All my coins are graded by PCGS and NGC.

I have only 1 currency note which is an 1899 $2 silver certificate (66) graded by CGA. I wish to send the note to PCGS in order to determine what I really have.

Thus, what is the best / most economical way to send the note for grading? I do a bit of business with Heritage. Will they submit the note on my behalf?

Appreciate any response as to the best way to handle the submission.

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM sent !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

Since PCGS has recently re-aquired the PCGS name but hasn't restarted their services on currency, I would recommend going to PMG...if you are an ANA member, you don't have to join the collectors club...ANA membership allows you to submit. Go to the PMG website and it's all pretty self explanatory.
    Please post the note for everyone to see and we would love to see how it regrades from the CGA holder.

• jkrkjkrk Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tomtomtomtom said:
    Since PCGS has recently re-aquired the PCGS name but hasn't restarted their services on currency, I would recommend going to PMG...if you are an ANA member, you don't have to join the collectors club...ANA membership allows you to submit. Go to the PMG website and it's all pretty self explanatory.
    Please post the note for everyone to see and we would love to see how it regrades from the CGA holder.

I'm on vacation but will post the bill sometime next week.

Thanks

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to grade from a photo and through a holder but you probably have a nice uncirculated note that might grade in the 63-65 range. Only fault that I can see is slight ink smudge/teller handling at upper corners. The centering looks excellent.

The serial number is in a known range of uncirculated notes with 64 seeming to be the most prevalent grade.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

@sellitstore said:
    Hard to grade from a photo and through a holder but you probably have a nice uncirculated note that might grade in the 63-65 range. Only fault that I can see is slight ink smudge/teller handling at upper corners. The centering looks excellent.

The serial number is in a known range of uncirculated notes with 64 seeming to be the most prevalent grade.

I was notified today that the bill was graded and is on the way back.

Your analysis was spot on. The note graded 64 as you speculated.

I'll post a new picture when the note is returned.

Thank You.

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

On Jan 30, 2019 PCGS-C suddenly, without announcing anything, stopped doing business, closed up shop and shut down their website. One of the poorest ways to exit the business but their level of communication was normally horrid

• tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

@synchr said:
    On Jan 30, 2019 PCGS-C suddenly, without announcing anything, stopped doing business, closed up shop and shut down their website. One of the poorest ways to exit the business but their level of communication was normally horrid

...they are up and running under the new name of Legacy after their agreement with Collectors Universe expired.... Here is the new link
    https://www.legacygrading.com/index.html

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lucky educated guess.

Congratulations on the reholder at 64. That's a nice note.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very artistic note. They don't make them like that anymore.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".