Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Which pitcher had the best stuff

Of all the pitchers you have seen, which one had the best "stuff" regardless of how their career played out.

Watching baseball from the 70's tp present I've seen some of the all time greats. But the one that stands out to me is Dwight Gooden. Ridiculous high heater and his off the table curve.

Comments

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bert Blyleven's breaking ball stands out for me. He would start that thing off ten feet behind the batter's back and it would land on the outside corner.

Another that stands out is Tim Kovac. He grew early such that he towered over us in little league. He ended up being only about 5'10" but he was about that height at 11 years old. He threw so fast with those close little league mounds that one time he bounced a ball over the plate and the ump still called me out because he didn't see it had bounced.

• Virtually no one could hit Sandy Koufax stuff at the peak of his career.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always enjoyed watching Maddux disect the home plate. Maddux also was an unbelievable fielder at his position. Ridiculous.

• waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:
    Virtually no one could hit Sandy Koufax stuff at the peak of his career.

1963 World Series: Mantle went 1 for 7 with 3 strikeouts against Koufax.

Mantle said to Roseboro: "How in the (heck) are you supposed to hit that (stuff)?'”

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball

Koufax is just lucky that Mr. Dave Kingman never stepped in that batters box.

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Really enjoyed Greg Maddux master location, pitch selection, fielding, etc., nothing over powering - steady, professional, top notch player.

• effeeffe Posts: 190 ✭✭

Bob Uecker was a career .429 hitter against Koufax

• @effe said:

Pee Wee Herman was a movie star. Some things are simply unexplainable.

• graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Steve Dalkowski

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2019 3:15PM

The Astonishing Pietro (obscure The Monkees reference, google it)

Considering the four dimensional concept of reality, the fact that this ever happened is almost incomprehensible. The unluckiest bird in the universe.

On topic (waiting for someone to say this belongs in Sports Talk - oh, wait, that would now be me), Steve Carlton had the best slider. Ask Jose Cruz.

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

The real question is was it hunting season and did Randy have his license?

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2019 2:29PM

@krisd3279 said:

Tree-hugger.

I am sure the bird didn't care.

(written in a joking spirit if that wasn't clear)

• dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pedro Martinez with fastball, curve and a Buggs Bunny change up.
    Maddux was an absolute surgeon, a strategic master of his craft.
    Koufax was indeed unhittable for a stretch.
    Big Unit is totally unappreciated, dude was a bad man
    Jim Palmer, Catfish Hunter.

Don’t know if the true old timers had “stuff” I mean forkball, change up, heater, drop off the table curve so I reserve judgement on the. I personally just don’t know enough.

Grover Cleveland Alexander, Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Babe Ruth comparisons.

@georgebailey2 said:

@krisd3279 said:

Tree-hugger.

I am sure the bird didn't care.

(written in a joking spirit if that wasn't clear)

No tree-hugger here lol.

Feathers already removed and no shot to worry about....

Kris

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:
    Ricky Vaughn

Sidd Finch. Literally unhittable.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@dennis07 said:

@lawnmowerman said:
    Ricky Vaughn

Sidd Finch. Literally unhittable.

I fell for that. I still remember hearing about him in 10th grade health class haha

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Friggin dalkowski. Gross. Too bad we can’t use eye roll or vomiting emojis here. The dude didn’t throw 110. Prob didn’t even throw 100. He was AJ Burnett, only Burnett was better.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nolan Ryan when he had his curveball "working".

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike Scott split finger fast ball.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Desert_Ice_SportsDesert_Ice_Sports Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

Pedro Martinez, from 1997-2003, which was the height of the Steroid Era, playing in the AL East for 6 of 7 years, did this...

118-36 record (.766 win %)
    2.19 ERA
    0.94 WHIP
    5.6 K/BB ratio
    213 ERA+
    3 Cy Young Awards, 2 2nd Place Cy Young and a 3rd Place Cy Young

DesertIceSports.Com

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Johan Santana 2003-2008

Not as good as Pedro, but pretty darn good!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Oh yeah, I remember that window where Mike Scott was ridiculously unhittable. Youd had a better chance waiting for it to hit the ground and using a 3 wood.

• There is a great new read on this K: A History of Baseball in Ten Pitches by Tyler Kepner. One of the best baseball books I've read.

If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars. J Paul Getty

I remember when Nolan Ryan put Robin Ventura in a headlock. I used to love to watch Ryan pitch also. He had a habit of grunting when he threw the heater. Batters always talk about hearing him grunt real loud when he threw the heat, because he put everything he had into it.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

When I read the post, Dwight Gooden was the first to come to my mind too. But, when I just read the title, Whitey Ford and Sandy Koufax came to mind.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RailsideCards said:
    There is a great new read on this K: A History of Baseball in Ten Pitches by Tyler Kepner. One of the best baseball books I've read.

I agree, great book!!

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

too hard to narrow it down to one guy. I would say of the pitchers I personally saw, in no particular order:
    Pedro Martinez
    Roger Clemens
    Randy Johnson

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Mariano Rivera. The guy threw one pitch, everyone knew what was coming and what the ball was going to do, and they still couldn’t do anything with it.

Jim

• As good as Sandy Koufax was, he pitched during an era when pitchers dominated while Pedro Martinez pitched during an era when hitters dominated; the height of the Steroid Era... The stat that takes into account league ERA and a player's home ballpark is ERA+

In Koufax's BEST season, his ERA+ was 190

Pedro Martinez averaged ERA+ of 213 during a 7 year stretch.

And... Pedro's best ERA+ for one season?? 291... That's 53% higher than Koufax's best season... Crazy.

DesertIceSports.Com

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Maddux was the best I ever saw live but I think Clemens might have been better but both masters for sure.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@RailsideCards said:
    There is a great new read on this K: A History of Baseball in Ten Pitches by Tyler Kepner. One of the best baseball books I've read.

I agree, great book!!

Great to hear. Just got a copy a week ago for my birthday.

This pitcher has the best stuff.

• Desert_Ice_SportsDesert_Ice_Sports Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    This pitcher has the best stuff

Looks domestic to me, so you would be WRONG!!

DesertIceSports.Com

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

J.R. Richard

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not a baseball guy but the answer is clear to even me. Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh Period.

Kevin

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:
    I’m not a baseball guy but the answer is clear to even me. Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh Period.

I just watched it last night. Haha

Andy

• rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Bob Gibson

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Watching the the first few innings of the 1999 MLB All-Star should give fans a reminder of the greatness of Pedro Martinez. His stuff was unhittable for years.

-Collecting anything vintage
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:

@effe said:

Pee Wee Herman was a movie star. Some things are simply unexplainable.

Along those lines, Lyle Lovett married Pretty Woman.

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Dwight Golden, then
    Charlie Morton , now

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • nagsnags Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Johan Santana 2003-2008

Not as good as Pedro, but pretty darn good!

For a couple years it was comical to watch batters flail at his changeup.

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:
    When I read the post, Dwight Gooden was the first to come to my mind too. But, when I just read the title, Whitey Ford and Sandy Koufax came to mind.

Both came to me as well But I was in Shea standing lower deck behind the plate watching Seaver k 19 Padres. Unforgettableable.
    Louis Arroyo perhaps?

• @fiveniner said:
    Dwight Golden, then
    Charlie Morton , now

Dwight Golden... Wasn't he the one who swept out the Indians' clubhouse in Major League??

DesertIceSports.Com

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mapleman said:

@dontippet said:

Both came to me as well But I was in Shea standing lower deck behind the plate watching Seaver k 19 Padres. Unforgettableable.
    Louis Arroyo perhaps?

I’m not saying Chris Sale deserves this title, just wanted to say I was at his 17K performance last month and it was incredible!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@mapleman said:

@dontippet said:

Louis Arroyo perhaps?

I’m not saying Chris Sale deserves this title, just wanted to say I was at his 17K performance last month and it was incredible!

A night or two after Seavers feat
    Steve Carlton did it to the Mets! No tv in ny I heard,it on radio. Mets won 4-3 lol.
    69 miracle Mets.

Just this

Kris

• @1970s said:

@lightningboy said:
    Of all the pitchers you have seen, which one had the best "stuff" regardless of how their career played out.

Watching baseball from the 70's tp present I've seen some of the all time greats. But the one that stands out to me is Dwight Gooden. Ridiculous high heater and his off the table curve.

Dwight Gooden always had the best stuff. He would share with his good friend and team mate Daryl Strawberry. They both enjoyed his good stuff throughout their careers. Steve Howe was known to have good stuff too.

of course, Keith Hernandez would appreciate some props, and perhaps another cigarette.