Home Q & A Forum

Calling all experts! What is up with my 1948 wheat back?

Hello! I hope you're an expert! I have this 1948 wheat, and it has some issues... I think it is a mule clash, but I cant figure out what it may have clashed with. I see on the rev at the south numbers or letters that don't belong where ONE CENT would go, and I see other images, and I see some sort of flowers??? like struck and struck!? On obv liberty has been all but wiped out... Please help! I've asked for comments elsewhere with no luck.. Thank you :) p.s. (I have more coins with questions I'll be posting.. this is just one, I hope you can help with those too!

Here is how it should look on Rev.. pointed to images I see and letters/numbers I think... I hope this helps!

Tagged:

Comments

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey V, Have found many with multi strikes. My only conclusion is the press was set up for the run using the coin as set up, or just a plain mix up ..AT THE MINT ! Now where it goes from there is something I cant answer.
    On the obverse I see a lump to the left of LIBERTY. Cant be a drummel Mark as the rest looks. Hope you get ba good answer to your question, I'll be watching, as this is my quest also. I like the style on reverse . See ya

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appearance of something smeared/melted on the cent. Soldering iron...?

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019 7:21AM

Damaged. Not a mint error. Sorry

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Smashed and bashed. Definitely not an error.

• ventvent Posts: 23

Thanks to all your help! Can you explain I hope how damage post mint made these images I circled in yellow on the face? and there's tons more I see, just these stick out the most.. they don't look like smears, looks like letters or numbers etc... I've thought of all the different scenarios.. I mean, if soldered wouldn't it had to be done under a microscope with a microscopic iron? maybe by a fairy? lol and then there is the big blossom looking stuff... pretty talented artist!? Sorry, this coin has bugged me forever! :) Wish I could show you what I see in person.. this little tiny penny, and little tiny fairy fingers with a microscope soldered fantastic flowery images and letters on my coin lol... and to what point would they have done all this work?? In vein?? to BUG ME FOREVER?! --smile-- sorry in advance lol

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2019 7:51AM

@vent said:
    Thanks to all your help! Can you explain I hope how damage post mint made these images I circled in yellow on the face? and there's tons more I see, just these stick out the most.. they don't look like smears, looks like letters or numbers etc... I've thought of all the different scenarios.. I mean, if soldered wouldn't it had to be done under a microscope with a microscopic iron? maybe by a fairy? lol and then there is the big blossom looking stuff... pretty talented artist!? Sorry, this coin has bugged me forever! :) Wish I could show you what I see in person.. this little tiny penny, and little tiny fairy fingers with a microscope soldered fantastic flowery images and letters on my coin lol... and to what point would they have done all this work?? In vein?? to BUG ME FOREVER?! --smile-- sorry in advance lol

Stare at something long enough and all kinds of things come to mind. Pareidolia.

If you believe it’s an error and want to confirm get professional eyes to see the coin. Send it to a TPGS for attribution of an error produced by the US Mint.

Good luck and always have fun in the hobby.

Edit to add. Some vids on the minting process:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12251695/#Comment_12251695

True! I have pondered many times.. maybe I should seek help :)

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vent said:

There are countless ways for a coin to be damaged in circulation. However, the minting and die making processes are well documented and understood. There only certain ways for errors to occur.

When trying to understand errors and varieties, you should NEVER say, “I can’t explain how this damage could occur, therefore, it must be an error.” You should always ask “How did this occur in the minting process.” The short answer is that what you see on your coin couldn’t occur during the minting process.

It takes time to learn and understand the minting process, but you are getting replies from collectors that have the experience and knowledge. Keep studying the minting and die making processes and you’ll get a lot better at determining what is a true error/variety and what is worthless damage.

Don't waste your money sending it to be authenticated. It will come back as a damaged coin. Instead do some research on the minting process and use the $50 +/- TPG fees on a nice coin.

Member of the ANA since 1982

Thank you for your comment.. I'm open to either scenario, damaged or mint error. I'm not looking to prosper from this coin, or any of my collections, just researching and finally labeling my coins. Pretty fascinating stuff and I truly thank you for all your help!