Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Listing a High-Value Raw Card on eBay - I propose a new guideline

I propose a new guideline for listing high-value raw cards on eBay

This is basically to help provide a comfort level that the card is not trimmed

Provide pictures of the card with a ruler horizontally and vertically next the the edges of the card,
and make it easy to see the lines on the ruler compared to the edge of the card (no funny angles)

Of course, this doesn't help if the seller uses a "doctored" ruler... LOL

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why we love you DotStore. I'm always fascinated by your ideas. Keep em coming. The last thing we need is for this place to become a zombie graveyard.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @doubledragon

I suppose if you have one of those 2-piece UltraPro or similar type holder that has the recessed cutout and the corner cutouts - showing the card in the holder gives an idea about how it measures up. You have to judge from the pictures if there's the right amount of space between the card edge and the recessed borders (too much space would trigger a warning the card might not meet size requirements).

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Agree with the above statement. There has to be a catch if a high value card is being sold raw these days. Could there be a occasional one......maybe...…...…...but why?

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Agree with the two above.
    A ruler probably cannot pick up a trimmed card
    Certainly not a forgery or recolored border/corner.

Of course the story about finding great grandpa's secret stash of cards in the old trunk is probably 100% true.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not but a high dollar card on ebay if it was not graded.

Too many scammers in this hobby.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

To the guys above - what is your threshold for "high dollar" that you wouldn't buy ungraded on ebay?

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a specific 'high dollar' global threshold for all cards and sports, but for vintage base set baseball about $100, a bit higher on newer stuff and oddballs that are generally less likely to be tampered with. Anything over $200 raw receives heavy scrutiny, regardless, but there were good enough scans on this one @ $225 raw (if not the most I've spent on an individual raw card, it's pretty close) ...

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I would say around $100 is my threshold for something raw on EBAY as well. I bought a 71T Nolan Ryan raw in person for $80 after looking online for a long time and not wanting to pull the trigger. I got lucky and Googled up a shop when I was out of town and when I walked in I found something I wanted. This was much better since I could examine in person and it was cheaper and in better condition that the ones I had been looking at online. I had looked at several on EBAY including some that looked like they had pinholes or had the edges recolored. If you send a message about that to the seller and they don't reply you have your answer!

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

So is the Acuna card I just bought most likely trimmed?

• Options

And that is one good looking Babe!

Always loved those little black silhouettes on that series.

• Options

@Walt_Altmen said:

As mentioned, I go higher on modern without much concern for alteration. I'm sure everyone has a different dollar threshold based on the collecting budget and risk tolerance.

• Options
    edited April 26, 2019 10:43AM

@LarkinCollector said:

@Walt_Altmen said:

As mentioned, I go higher on modern without much concern for alteration. I'm sure everyone has a different dollar threshold based on the collecting budget and risk tolerance.

Ok. Phew!

The guy Eric @ BuyNiceCards said he had a hard time letting it go.

• Options

@Walt_Altmen said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@Walt_Altmen said:

Ok. Phew!

The guy Eric @ BuyNiceCards said he had a hard time letting it go.

Must have gotten stuck in his trimmer. Might want to Google that guy.

• Options

Thinking back, he did mention something about dropping it in his stir-bot for a split sec.

• Options
    GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

I purchased a raw Christy Mathewson on EBay for 200 it ended up grading PSA 3.5. You really never know, although I purchased it expecting an A grade.