Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Repatched Sidney Crosby Cup RPA on ebay UPDATE: Possible Brady too

Comments

• coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

Woah....repatched card?! What's this world coming to.

Does that mean the whole card is fake or just the patch?

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the patch. The signatures look identical to me. There is a guy known as “Kenny” who has been doing repatches for a while. He finally smartened up and stopped using his own accounts and start led consigning a little while ago.

If it’s been happening in hockey I’m sure it’s been done in other sports two.

Kevin

• _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

I read about this stuff and I'm simply amazed. How do they do that? Splice it open and somehow re-glue it? And to do it with a $5k card

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

What do the gain by doing this? Can they somehow sell the original patch as "Game Material" separately? And to risk opening up the original card is it even worth it???

EagleEyeKid said:
    I read about this stuff and I'm simply amazed. How do they do that? Splice it open and somehow re-glue it? And to do it with a $5k card

While I don’t know for certain I would wager that they simply cut out the old patch through the opening and then glue in a new one.

@DotStore said:
    What do the gain by doing this? Can they somehow sell the original patch as "Game Material" separately? And to risk opening up the original card is it even worth it???

They gain thousands of dollars in cases like this. A cool looking 3 or 4 color patch sells for considerably more than a single colored patch.

Kevin

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would just be sick if I paid that much for a card that was re-patched. Just sick.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2019 1:18PM

You can see what looks like damage to the card at about 8:00 on the frame around the patch. Also, on the Probstein scan on ebay, you can see threads hanging out at the same spot.

Beckett should've caught that when they had it for grading.

Steve

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really an ugly situation. Repatching has been happening for quite awhile now

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

What would Probstein 123 do if they were made aware? It’s already at a price that will give bidders/buyer severe cognitive dissonance if they were made aware?

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:

EagleEyeKid said:

While I don’t know for certain I would wager that they simply cut out the old patch through the opening and then glue in a new one.

@DotStore said:

They gain thousands of dollars in cases like this. A cool looking 3 or 4 color patch sells for considerably more than a single colored patch.

This is absolutely happening in all sports. It is bad because the fakers have generally gotten pretty good with this stuff. My understanding is that the better fakers have gotten good enough that some are actually able take the card apart into two pieces now to remove the old patch and replace it with a new one. Then they re-adhere the card back together. This is much more complex than the old cut the old patch out and slap on a new patch switcharoo that you are describing. It is in fact what Bryan theorizes. On the second question, you are right, the addition of the "sick" patch in fact realizes huge gains to the scammer.

Steve

The crappy thing is if the card is not serial numbered it becomes much more difficult to catch these fakes.

Steve

@LGC said:
    What would Probstein 123 do if they were made aware? It’s already at a price that will give bidders/buyer severe cognitive dissonance if they were made aware?

The answer appears to be nothing because someone in the BO thread did contact them.

I’m sure they’ll hide behind the TPG and claim there opinion is what makes the card “real” facts be damned.

Kevin

So I gather that only one-colour patches will have authentic materials with any certainty. The card companies should consider sealing the patch area with some kind of protective/anti-tamper material. Good FYI all. Thanks

@slum22 Steve If they are in fact separating layers of the card I would be fascinated to actually see the process. Any cutting would leave tell tale signs. So they must somehow be releasing the original adhesive by some non mechanical means like soaking or such without impacting the auto. It’s a dark art for sure but I’d love to see it in action just out of pure curiosity.

Kevin

@LGC said:
    So I gather that only one-colour patches will have authentic materials with any certainty. The card companies should consider sealing the patch area with some kind of protective/anti-tamper material. Good FYI all. Thanks

Another alternative would simply be a company sponsored database of the cards. They are all obviously in one place when signed a simple group photo would solve the issue.

Kevin

@LOTSOS said:
    @slum22 Steve If they are in fact separating layers of the card I would be fascinated to actually see the process. Any cutting would leave tell tale signs. So they must somehow be releasing the original adhesive by some non mechanical means like soaking or such without impacting the auto. It’s a dark art for sure but I’d love to see it in action just out of pure curiosity.

I certainly don't know the process, but in threads I have read on BO, this process of separating the card in two pieces was mentioned. They did not go into specifics on the process.

Steve
    edited April 17, 2019 4:33PM

@LOTSOS said:

@LGC said:

The answer appears to be nothing because someone in the BO thread did contact them.

I’m sure they’ll hide behind the TPG and claim there opinion is what makes the card “real” facts be damned.

Apparently I was wrong. The person who contacted them said they would end it early after consulting with ebay.

But a new wrinkle has arisen. Apparently the card was graded in March this year and there is a Brady patch card being auctioned by PWCC that is only two serial numbers away that appears to have been subbed by the same individual.

Here the link to the thread for those that are interested.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1287505

Kevin

Crazy stuff. I would never purchase from probstein again. Have made 2 separate purchases. First one was a graded card which went fine. Second one was a raw card that was trimmed. Luckily it was fairly a cheap card. Just ended up ripping it apart and just tossing it. No point sending it back to be sold again. I know Steve got a trimmed card from them as well.

• FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Auction is at 35k. I can't even fathom the disappointment I would have if I won that auction and then saw the image shown of the original jersey swath.

The Crosby held steady at 7-10k for so long. I continue to be shocked at the prices for modern hockey.

-Nathanael

• PADIdiverPADIdiver Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2019 8:22AM

Newbie question... so I'm assuming these are three patches in one card (hence triple thread) but looking at a few other cards online the three patches seem similar to each other so they are likely close to each other on the jersey. Do the three relics look from the same part of the jersey in the Brady auction? And do they use the same jersey for all the relics for that year for Brady? I'm assuming they only cut up one jersey and not multiple jerseys.

I know nothing about this stuff but just throwing it out there

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:

Someone on BO sold a large football collection that had hundreds of jersey/patch cards and soon after someone on ebay started listing them for sale with entirely different swatches. If anyone wants to read up on it so they know to steer away from the guy selling fakes you can find the thread In the BO football section on page 7 titled Wow, someone is patch faking my old PC already from BO member Grid. He's posted many before & after pics showing the alterations.

• PADIdiverPADIdiver Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@LOTSOS said:

Someone on BO sold a large football collection that had hundreds of jersey/patch cards and soon after someone on ebay started listing them for sale with entirely different swatches. If anyone wants to read up on it so they know to steer away from the guy selling fakes you can find the thread In the BO football section on page 7 titled Wow, someone is patch faking my old PC already from BO member Grid. He's posted many before & after pics showing the alterations.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1171113 I think this is the thread where he has his pc photos that he sold

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PADIdiver said:

@erikthredd said:

@LOTSOS said:

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1171113 I think this is the thread where he has his pc photos that he sold

That was his original thread when he first sold his collection,the one I mentioned was a 2nd thread months later where he outed the seller for switching out swatches. I didn't check but there was probably links in each to the other thread. Its sucked to see someone ruin so many cards.

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:

Another alternative would simply be a company sponsored database of the cards. They are all obviously in one place when signed a simple group photo would solve the issue.

Some sort of public database of these patch cards seems like a good idea to me. The card companies are the ones creating the demand by creating patch cards and serial numbered cards and they are obviously making more money because of it. They should share some responsibility for keeping fakes out of the market.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

The origin auction was terminated. Probstein123 has also added “ALTERED” to the title and made it a BIN with make an offer option.

@LGC said:
    The origin auction was terminated. Probstein123 has also added “ALTERED” to the title and made it a BIN with make an offer option.

Didn't know that. Uncle Rick did the right thing.

So with the new auction starting at $40k or BO, is there a market for this kind of stuff ? Also, why would someone even want something like this?

• EagleEyeKid said:
    So with the new auction starting at $40k or BO, is there a market for this kind of stuff ? Also, why would someone even want something like this?

Yes, there will be a market for it, even though it's been altered... Why?? For the exact same reason that someone paid $420,000 for a restored T206 Wagner a few months ago... Altered cards don't sell for what original ones sell for, but they do sell.

DesertIceSports.Com

EagleEyeKid said:

$40k for something that has been altered like that is just ridiculous. Personally, I wouldn't give 5 bucks for it. For me it has to be original or bust.

Personally I think being in that holder makes a ton of difference. And not for the right reasons.

Kevin

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really needs to be sent back to Beckett for them to mark altered. Someone will buy it and then eventually sell to someone who does not know.

• dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

there were two trimmed cards that were uncovered on BO recently, both in PSA slabs (a 2017 Topps Aaron Judge Vintage Stock PSA 10 and some rare gold Griffey Jr). PWCC was receptive to the findings, terminated the auctions or canceled them after they ran their course and contacted PSA. Thankfully, PSA responded by striking the cert numbers from the registry and not sure if they were sent back to PSA to be cracked out or not. But kudos to PSA for doing the right thing to prevent this from going further.

there are a few threads on BO that uncovered some well known Ebay sellers that were suspected of being the trimmers. names released and even ties to BGS as well. pretty sad, but great detective work nonetheless.