Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1966 Topps Baseball 100% Complete! (In 8+)

This is my all time favorite set. So many incredible childhood memories growing up with that set. Spectacular design, colors, player roster, hi numbers, etc. The fact that the Dodgers-Yankees stand out in matching reddish-orange is just memorable. Sandy's last card too. Obviously many difficulties, but none more elusive and expensive than #544 Cards Rookies. (I seriously hate Joe Horner now). Ironically, two Pacific Palisadians have two top ten sets! L Mayer has what I consider the strongest post 1960 card set in existence @ basically 9.5. Remarkable feat.

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

Congrats Jim! I neglected this set for years, until finally I had every other set around it and went after '66. I came to appreciate the design and stellar photography (important to me). I think '65-'67 are arguably the best 3 consecutive years Topps produced.
    The short prints on this set are absolute killers, and rank up there with '52 Topps and '50 Bowman low numbers.
    If you ever decide to build a pristine '70 Kellogg's set you'll have even more reason to hate Joel Horner.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Congrats! I'm collecting the set in the same grade as you. Birth year set, so kind of special to me. Those of you who refuse to pay up for commons are SOL with this set. It's amazing how many commons in 8+ go for triple digits (not just high #'s either).

I'm at about 63% complete and currently sit in the high 20's on the registry. First series and high#'s are complete. Still slowly pecking away.

What set is on your radar now?

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on building a very nice hi grade set of one of the best Topps ever produced.
    I collect yankees and the Clarke and Stottlemyre are two of my fav cards.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Awesome

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭

@Griffins said:
    Congrats Jim! I neglected this set for years, until finally I had every other set around it and went after '66. I came to appreciate the design and stellar photography (important to me). I think '65-'67 are arguably the best 3 consecutive years Topps produced.
    The short prints on this set are absolute killers, and rank up there with '52 Topps and '50 Bowman low numbers.
    If you ever decide to build a pristine '70 Kellogg's set you'll have even more reason to hate Joel Horner.

Thanks Griff.........100% agreed. Topps three year run of '65-'66-'67 is unsurpassed. These were my prime years of childhood collecting. You are spot on re the photography, The images far surpass previous years. Not only the player images, but the backgrounds which include the fences with advertising, the buildings, the Yankee facade down left field, the turf, the lumber, the leather, and on and on.....Sorry for being such a big post, but I could not resist a review of my 66 favorites from '66....Would love some comments and/or an omission list from ya' all. Anybody who gets thru all 66 images should win either a Don Mossi or a Roger Craig card!

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

No Koufax? No Drysdale?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made it all the way through, some fantastic examples and the Reds seemed heavily represented, but I want no part of any prize that involves an image of Mossi.

• Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

If you hate Joe Hoerner, then you must hate Grant Jackson x 2. 😆

• Options

Interestingly enough, I paid almost 2X more for #544 than #591 in PSA 8. I am truly out of my mind..then again, the things we set registry builders do when it comes down to that LAST card...

• Options

Griff, No Sandy or Big D. But no Don LeJohn or Hector Valle either! :o

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Love the passion! Congratulations on the completion. I wonder if you have a master set or not because the errors in this set is substantial.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

The 1966 set is also my birth year set and I have 3 completely graded sets and a partial set which has 420 graded cards. Three of those will contribute to my retirement. I think I am about ready to cut loose of them and will probably keep the lower graded complete set for my collection unless I decide to finish the partial set. I absolutely love the set and it definitely has some pesky cards, especially in higher grade.

• Options

Don't collect 66 set in PSA but have a full set which is 95% raw. I have a few grades HoF's ranging from 6's to 8's (including Claude Raymond). Just reading along but love this under appreciated set especially vis a vis the other 60's sets. I actually like 66 more than both 65 and 67 where I'm about 200 cards into building in PSA 4-7 (mid-grade). Might have to switch projects after reading these posts. TY

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Congrats!

LMK if you have any raw, nice ExMT+ to NM+ cards you're willing to sell/trade. I'm building out this set raw... TY...

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik