Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Need help with a signed baseball jersey I purchased from Ebay

This ebay seller seems to have a warehouse of JSA jerseys. He didn't have a picture of the actual signature. So I was surprised when I received the jersey. Half of the players last name was covered in threads. Is this normal? And how did JSA authenticate the signature if its hiding behind stitches?

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

Comments

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Here it is.

• initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

The number was sewn on the jersey after the signature was obtained. The jersey was built.
    It’s easier to sign a stack of jersey numbers than a pile of jerseys. Probably cheaper too

@initialD said:
    The number was sewn on the jersey after the signature was obtained. The jersey was built.
    It’s easier to sign a stack of jersey numbers than a pile of jerseys. Probably cheaper too

I understand. I just think its deceitful of the seller to list for sale using a picture of a different signature. It probably wouldn't have sold or gotten a lower price. I will probably be sending back the jersey and leaving the seller a neg. His EBAY username is friendlyconfines-5

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were me, I'd return it.

Andy

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

@initialD said:

I understand. I just think its deceitful of the seller to list for sale using a picture of a different signature. It probably wouldn't have sold or gotten a lower price. I will probably be sending back the jersey and leaving the seller a neg. His EBAY username is friendlyconfines-5

I would definitely lower the BOOM on him.

• CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Garbage, send it back!

• flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I don't see the need for negative feedback.

You paid,
    He sent
    You didn't approve of what was sent
    You are sending it back

Provided the seller refunds you, this is a standard transaction which the seller and you agreed to disagree and you canceled the transaction asking for a refund.

I am missing the negative part of this transaction. Sure, the seller did something which you found unscrupulous but if the item is returned and funds are returned, no harm, no foul.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
    edited April 17, 2019 4:06AM

@flcardtrader said:
    I don't see the need for negative feedback.

You paid,
    He sent
    You didn't approve of what was sent
    You are sending it back

Provided the seller refunds you, this is a standard transaction which the seller and you agreed to disagree and you canceled the transaction asking for a refund.

I am missing the negative part of this transaction. Sure, the seller did something which you found unscrupulous but if the item is returned and funds are returned, no harm, no foul.

So,.....you see no harm listing autographs that do not look anything like what's in his descriptions? He just sold me a covered up signature lol. The Negative feedback would be to help/warn future potential bidders/buyers. When he gets this jersey back, then someone else is going to get scammed, if he re-lists.

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

What is the current seller rating? Has he received negative feedback for this same sort of scenario before? Based on what I've read so far, I personally would not leave negative as long as the refund goes smoothly. Only if the seller purposely tried to deceive me would I leave a negative... For an Autograph, I would ask for a picture of the actual item (some Autographs from the same player just come out wrong -- and I always want a good example of the players' autograph)

• rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

I agree that the only benefit of feedback is to warn others, but maybe it can be accomplished with a neutral feedback and not negative? I tend to read both categories when looking at potential Ebay purchases...

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2019 8:44AM

Not only send it back, give him a chance to send you one that is like the one pictured. If he fails to do so then you leave him a negative after getting a refund. No questions asked, this is a situation in which you leave a negative and explain why in the feedback.

I have been on eBay since Dec. 1997 and if a seller doesn't make this right with the right item it deserves a negative. That is deceitful as hell to send that item to a buyer and think it is acceptable.

@brendanb438 said:
    Not only send it back, give him a chance to send you one that is like the one pictured. If he fails to do so then you leave him a negative after getting a refund. No questions asked, this is a situation in which you leave a negative and explain why in the feedback.

I have been on eBay since Dec. 1997 and if a seller doesn't make this right with the right item it deserves a negative. That is deceitful as hell to send that item to a buyer and think it is acceptable.

Totally agree. When selling on Ebay either be 100% totally honest or don't sell at all. Anything else than 100% total honesty is unacceptable.

I don't know what the original listing states, so at this point I don't have enough information to automatically issue a negative. Did the original listing state "Stock Photo"? I'm just asking. I buy graded coins, and alot of the big dealers list a "Stock Photo" and state that they are using a stock photo and that your coin will have a different serial number (same grade).

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

@DotStore said:
    I don't know what the original listing states, so at this point I don't have enough information to automatically issue a negative. Did the original listing state "Stock Photo"? I'm just asking. I buy graded coins, and alot of the big dealers list a "Stock Photo" and state that they are using a stock photo and that your coin will have a different serial number (same grade).

Good point, but this autograph is obviously a lower standard than most people would prefer. To me, this is like a coin being a second, or the graded case being cracked. This appears to be total deception to me.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.

@brendanb438 said:

I tried to work it out with the seller. I asked him if I could exchange the jersey for one similar in the picture....He declined.

On that note start the process to send it back to get a refund. Tag it as item not as described so eBay will side with you and then once you have your refund neg the hell out of him.

@garnettstyle said:

@brendanb438 said:

I tried to work it out with the seller. I asked him if I could exchange the jersey for one similar in the picture....He declined.

I'd leave him a negative feedback. That's not how an Ebay seller should conduct business.

I just checked out a few of the seller's listings. The listings I saw always have the following words, so he said up front it's a Stock Photo and the signature could be in different spots. I get it, you're not happy with where the signature is. If the refund goes smoothly, then I really don't see anything the guy did to deserve a negative...

_All Items are brand new unless otherwise stated. On all signed jerseys up for auction stock images are used in these listings.ALMOST ALL OUR SIGNED JERSEYS ARE ADULT XL unless otherwise noted (It's the preferred size for autograph collectors for display purposes) The exact item you will receive will be the Same player as the one pictured, but may have the signature in different spots, be signed in a different color paint pen, and have different inscriptions than the photo shown. _

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@initialD said:

Well then the end result of doing that in this case is known as careless workmanship.

In my opinion, the item is defective for what it is intended to be.

• initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Absolutely!
    I feel that signed jerseys are to be displayed and this one looks egregiously bad.
    Return no doubt.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see why there is resistance to a negative feedback in this case.

His "blanket" statement certainly doesn't cover this. A "stock" photo should be a good representation of the item.

I hate when people get "cute" and I have to do something two or three times.

POOR seller in this example.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

DotStore do you enjoy having your time wasted in a transaction as either the buyer or the seller? Because not leaving negative feedback on this tool of a seller is how he is gonna continue to waste the time of more buyers doing this crap.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DotStore said:
    I just checked out a few of the seller's listings. The listings I saw always have the following words, so he said up front it's a Stock Photo and the signature could be in different spots. I get it, you're not happy with where the signature is. If the refund goes smoothly, then I really don't see anything the guy did to deserve a negative...

_All Items are brand new unless otherwise stated. On all signed jerseys up for auction stock images are used in these listings.ALMOST ALL OUR SIGNED JERSEYS ARE ADULT XL unless otherwise noted (It's the preferred size for autograph collectors for display purposes) The exact item you will receive will be the Same player as the one pictured, but may have the signature in different spots, be signed in a different color paint pen, and have different inscriptions than the photo shown. _

Different inscriptions? Really? This would be like putting a "First Day of Issue" coin in a picture but shipping one with an ordinary label. Better to not use any photo.

@brendanb438 said:
    DotStore do you enjoy having your time wasted in a transaction as either the buyer or the seller? Because not leaving negative feedback on this tool of a seller is how he is gonna continue to waste the time of more buyers doing this crap.

No I do not. Based on the seller feedback, I see way more positive feedback of happy buyers. I do not see a pattern of deceptive advertising and bad products. I'm willing to cut some slack if the seller allows a smooth return.

The listing states "Stock Photo" (which I personally would not buy unless he provided me with a picture of the actual autograph I am purchasing)

The listing states NO RETURNS (but if the seller still accepts the return, then he has shown enough to me to warrant a free pass).

Hey, it's just my opinion. If I saw more negative already on his feedback, then heck yea blast with the negative. But I just don't see it in this case...