Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is the Hansen Collection Publicity Encouraging New Collectors?

DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

While there may be increased competition for the best among multimillionaire and billionaire collectors, the question is whether this excitement is bringing in new collectors interested in affordable coins without top population grades.

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2019 8:21PM

I don’t know about new collectors but buying pieces Hansen has upgraded seems to be a rich area for people interested in nice coins.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:
    While there may be increased competition for the best among multimillionaire and billionaire collectors, the question is whether this excitement is bringing in new collectors interested in affordable coins without top population grades.

Seemingly, “collectors” of late are looking for the get rich quick types of coins. Not really a new concept; but it’s digging through pocket change and hoping against all odds that they found the “rare” million dollar coin.

Is millionaire/billionaire collectors bringing in new collectors?

Probably not unless the millionaire/billionaire collectors have a YT, Tweet, Insty, etc. accounts and showing off how to turn a common cent into a million dollar cent.

2c

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the publicity even reaching beyond where the readers/viewers are already collectors?

I have not noticed it in the regular media, though I might have missed it.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

Millennials and general Z news sources is not the traditional news of the big-3 three lettered channels. Most of it is online through whatever platform they use. And that’s assuming they even watch/read any news.

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Millennials and general Z news sources is not the traditional news of the big-3 three lettered channels. Most of it is online through whatever platform they use. And that’s assuming they even watch/read any news.

Right, but is it showing up in those places or only in places where the audience is already collecting like coin message boards etc.?

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2019 9:13AM

No.

I do find that new collectors find major error coins fascinating.

@WinLoseWin said:

@Hemispherical said:

Right, but is it showing up in those places or only in places where the audience is already collecting like coin message boards etc.?

Insty, snap-c, etc., I hear, are the more popular places. Information spreads quickly through those channels. Many times posts that appear on message boards have already circulated through those other channels.

Example: The first W quarter found was through Reddit (I think it was Reddit) and someone posted that info on this message board after it had been out for awhile.

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eliasberg definitely brought in new collectors and increased interest at all levels, with Life Magazine and other publicity. The current interest in Hansen is mostly mid and higher end collectors. Hansen likes to share his collection with the public, with the right publicity in old and new media I think it could generate new interest in coin collecting.

Top collections have always been good for the coin hobby/industry, especially when they are shared in some fashion. The best coin collections and auction catalogs are utilized by collectors, dealers, researchers, and authors - all of which encourage new collectors.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know a few collectors who started collecting after reading articles in the press about the Pogue auctions. I have no doubt that as more articles come out about Hansen, it will create some new collectors.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file