Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

COMC........Sales Tax :(

Just added some credit to my COMC account and noticed they are charging sales tax now when you do this. Damn, I thought the Canadian government was bad....I use a NY shipping address so it was 8%. I figured out a work around for now. o:)

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy a lot of stuff on ebay from COMC. They always make sure to send it in a plastic sleeve, brand new top loader, and plastic little team bag. Nice and neat every time. Never an auction, always buy it now.

A COMC AUCTION= no such thing.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2019 7:43AM

It's not a COMC thing; it's a new regulation that kicked in relatively recently for not all, but some States. You'll notice that if you are not a business seller on ebay, when items you sell are purchased by buyers who live in certain States, which includes Washington where COMC is, ebay will automatically add in sales tax on the invoice, and it says that ebay will collect the sales tax though it does not affect you the seller.

• wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2019 4:52AM

any one who buys form our Ebay store in NJ, gets taxes now automatically, ????

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller

Good ol' taxes. God bless America. We can sell you this card, but we'll have to break your thumbs first.

• mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

I don't know if any other Washingtonians have curtailed their ebay budding, but I certainly have due to sales tax now being automatically charged. We have 10 percent sales tax which often times pushes the closing price on a card above VCP. I know 10 bucks on a $100 purchase doesn't seem like much, but it has turned me away from bidding.

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

@mcolney1 said:
    I don't know if any other Washingtonians have curtailed their ebay budding, but I certainly have due to sales tax now being automatically charged. We have 10 percent sales tax which often times pushes the closing price on a card above VCP. I know 10 bucks on a $100 purchase doesn't seem like much, but it has turned me away from bidding.

10% is nothing, try 13% in the Great White North. Was 15% several years back. We have to fund our idiot Prime Minister Trudeau's open borders. We let ISIS fighters back in because they were Canadian citizens. When asked about Canada's deficit, he said "the Budget will balance itself." Now we have our "Carbon Tax" on anything from gas to Natural Gas to Electricity. The carbon tax just added another 4.3cents/liter CDN (which would be about .12cents/gallon un USD). In 2 years it will be up to .11cents/liter. Our gas is mostly tax already. Oh and we are paying 13% Sales Tax on the Carbon Tax just to add insult to injury.

To keep it card related, the Carbon Tax doesn't apply to cards yet....

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

The state sales tax in Washington is 6.5%. Cities and counties add on their own taxes and they vary. The total rate in Spokane, where I live, is 8.8%.

10.2 percent in Seattle and that's my address!

• akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about my friends to the north getting hammered. Contrary to the news Seattle is not a “dieing” city. Please don’t move to Oregon 😬

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

@akuracy503 said:
    Sorry to hear about my friends to the north getting hammered. Contrary to the news Seattle is not a “dieing” city. Please don’t move to Oregon 😬

No state income tax so I'm staying. I've got a tax mule in Oregon for big purchase items :D

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to a show this past October here in Massachusetts and a NY Dealer was there and after I decided to put together a few cards to buy he started talking about how he had to add sales tax, I walked away while he was still talking.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

effective now?

does ebay have a list where they will auto collect sales tax?

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

TY KB

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I loath to bring this up, but I had one bidder ask me if I could reduce the price to compensate for the sales tax he is now being charged. So far I have ignored this request.

Mike
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2019 1:47PM

@ndleo said:
    I loath to bring this up, but I had one bidder ask me if I could reduce the price to compensate for the sales tax he is now being charged. So far I have ignored this request.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

I already eat the shipping and fees, I do not have the appetite to eat any more.

However knowing ebay, they will make it a requirement to retain my seller fee discount.

Mike
  • Desert_Ice_SportsDesert_Ice_Sports Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

It really baffles me that so many people still see eBay as their only online source for sports memorabilia... Virtually every card, autograph, unopened box, etc. being sold by reputable dealers is available cheaper elsewhere... If you don't like the prices, taxes, and shipping fees, look to see if the item is available on someone's website or through Facebook, Instagram, etc... They almost always are, and they're almost always cheaper.

DesertIceSports.Com

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:
    It really baffles me that so many people still see eBay as their only online source for sports memorabilia... Virtually every card, autograph, unopened box, etc. being sold by reputable dealers is available cheaper elsewhere... If you don't like the prices, taxes, and shipping fees, look to see if the item is available on someone's website or through Facebook, Instagram, etc... They almost always are, and they're almost always cheaper.

That is most likely true. But I will say this..... I had to go to Ebay to get a better deal on some unopened vintage from Fritsch compared to their website. Made no sense to me. On Ebay the shipping was free/on the website is was almost $30 for one pack and I was able to get Ebay bucks on my purchase.
    As a seller, though, I am happy to sell anything I have listed on Ebay for 10% less elsewhere!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
    edited May 7, 2019 7:50AM

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:

I have had bidders with feedback 1000+ that buy a ton of PSA cards that have no idea this board exists. ebay does make it easy for the casual collector who only buys a few cards here and there, but if you are serious into this hobby I don't see how you not know about this board.

Mike
  • CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    A COMC AUCTION= no such thing.

I have seen plenty of COMC eBay BIN. COMC, I believe, will list your card on eBay too for an additional fee.....

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Gotta pay for all of that "free" stuff somehow

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Being that many eBay sellers build in fees and shipping into their listing prices, can we assume that prices on eBay will start to see another 5%-10% increase?

• jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭

The tax is collected by ebay and they send it to the states. The seller does not "charge" tax. The tax free internet is slowly coming to an end. It was fun while it lasted.

Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying

@jsanz said:
    The tax is collected by ebay and they send it to the states. The seller does not "charge" tax. The tax free internet is slowly coming to an end. It was fun while it lasted.

So true. Living in Seattle 10.1% added to every eBay purchase...it has drastically curtailed my bidding.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@mcolney1 said:

@jsanz said:

So true. Living in Seattle 10.1% added to every eBay purchase...it has drastically curtailed my bidding.

Time to move!