Home Sports Talk

I would be remiss not to start a Dirk Nowitzki tribute thread.

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a New England guy who moved to the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex about 15 years ago. My allegiance to my Boston teams has never wavered. But like a lot of you, I suppose, I like to immerse myself in the local sports culture. And with that comes the tales, both good and bad,of the superstars.

As I mentioned here on the forum before, Dirk is exactly what you want your superstar to be.

This is probably the last few games for the big German, but what a run it has been.

If anyone has anything to add, please do.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2019 4:43PM

I’m not a Basketball guy by any stretch but Nowitzki is a star who stayed pretty low profile and not even close to being a Diva like most of the big name athletes

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I’m not a Basketball guy by any stretch but Nowitzki is a star who stayed pretty low profile and not even close to being a Diva like most of the big name athletes

Precisely.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

My kind of athlete!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

This should go in the foreign coin category.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I totally agree.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:
    This should go in the foreign coin category.

you mean because the nowitzki is actually a coin from serbo-croatia?

edited April 9, 2019 8:49PM

I watched his likely last home game tonight. He scored a season high 30 points. I think he hadn't scored more than 21 all season.

Edited to add: Even Larry Legend was there!!

It's crazy to think that right at the end he became only the fifth player ever to have 10,000 defensive rebounds, joining Garnett, Malone, Duncan, and Parish.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another great player that never (that I know of) pulled any Baby Lebron moves!

@DIMEMAN said:
    Another great player that never (that I know of) pulled any Baby Lebron moves!

None that I know of.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    It's crazy to think that right at the end he became only the fifth player ever to have 10,000 defensive rebounds, joining Garnett, Malone, Duncan, and Parish.

Pretty sure Wilt and Russell had 10,000 as well.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:

@thisistheshow said:

Pretty sure Wilt and Russell had 10,000 as well.

Afaik, they didn't differentiate offensive vs defensive rebounds during that era so they are not on the list. Undoubtedly both of them did.

Thank you for pointing that out (I should have myself).

Still, a cool accomplishment.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

He and Duncan were two classy players playing at the same time on two Texas teams that went about their business the way you wish more pro athletes would.
    I love the story of how a few days after Duncan retired, people saw him in line at Old Navy. Maybe urban legend but sounds about right.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.