Home Autographs Forum

COA and trusted companies?

I am relatively new to this autograph game but, I know that PSA/DNA, JSA are the top COA's (I haven't read about scandals). I have a bunch of personally watched, met, and signed autos from athletes that I got COA's for from Beckett. I assume that Beckett is on that list of top COA's. Here are some others that I COA's that I picked up from... What are the following's trust level and are there others that are quality?

1. BCCG
  2. MAB (Celebrity Services)
  3. Schwartz Sports
  4. Radtke Sports
  5. Upper Deck
  6. Topps

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a good question. I don't know the answer but would like to hear what others think. I have only a small number of autographs, none of them sports stars, most of which were signed in person, so I have no doubt about their authenticity. I also have a Tyrone Power 8 x 10 autographed photo that was personalized to my mother in the 1940's. I don't know how that one was obtained so i don't know if the signature is genuine or a secretary signature. I hope someone answers your question.

All glory is fleeting.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dgoldfe13 said:
    I am relatively new to this autograph game but, I know that PSA/DNA, JSA are the top COA's (I haven't read about scandals). I have a bunch of personally watched, met, and signed autos from athletes that I got COA's for from Beckett. I assume that Beckett is on that list of top COA's. Here are some others that I COA's that I picked up from... What are the following's trust level and are there others that are quality?

1. BCCG
    2. MAB (Celebrity Services)
    3. Schwartz Sports
    4. Radtke Sports
    5. Upper Deck
    6. Topps

I know UD originated a lot of sports autos so I would trust them, and probably the same for Topps.

I don't know anything about the others. A COA is only as good as the issuer.

Remember, companies that knowingly sell forgeries also issue COAs on the fakes, so a COA does not make a fake item real.

A COA is just an opinion or represents provenance.

• I semi understand that. Now, I try to hit some autograph shows when ever they come to town or I visit a city and there is one there. Besides the actual witnessing of an autograph. If I buy something online, say from a "legitimate" retailer (sportsmemorabilia, pristine auction, fantatics). The item I buy has a COA come with it. I understand the "risk" of purchasing a fake with a fake COA. I guess what I am asking is, how are these things regulated with online purchases? What are the chances of receiving a fake?

I know you personally may not have these answers and the risk is all on the buyer. But I guess, how high can the risk be through these supposedly "legit" retailers? How can I trust these sites if everything could be a fake?

Thanks for your help JBK. You are always helpful.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dgoldfe13 said:
    I guess what I am asking is, how are these things regulated with online purchases? What are the chances of receiving a fake?

Not at all and fairly high. Here is a list of known bad COAs: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/autographed-items-policy?id=4283 (click the '+'s to expand).

But I guess, how high can the risk be through these supposedly "legit" retailers? How can I trust these sites if everything could be a fake?

Using legit retailers/authenticators, your risk is greatly lowered, but not zero. Items still slip through the cracks. Here's who eBay recommends: https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/using-authentication-grading-services?id=4659

• Thanks

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only buy PSA/DNA unless I watch it get signed. I'm sure there are other fine authentication companies.

• genlougenlou Posts: 22 ✭✭

If you have an old autograph there is a cite call the cead which has great vintage examples of real and some secretary

• HELLO!! NEED HELP WITH This Authentication services, it’s called sportcoa.com and they are based in Spain, does anybody know anything about them? I am trying to authenticate a few autographs and I have lost faith in psa they just ripped you off.

• Just wanted to add Autograph COA (ACOA) to this list. They are fairly new, but picking up very quickly. They have up to 10 experts look at each submitted autograph and the nice thing is every submission that passes has a picture of the item online (regardless of if you get an LOA). Their founder is one of the leaders of the RACC group, one of the largest groups of autograph collectors. https://www.autographcoa.com/

• coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have over 50 MAB Celebrity authenticated baseball items, however I got them in person when they ran these great shows in Secaucus NJ. The had most of the 77-78 Yankees, 96-early 2000 Yankees, CY shows, HOF shows. Greats such as Tom Seaver, Cal Ripken, Ron Guidry, Steve Carlton, Gary Carter, Bob Gibson, Roy Halladay, etc. Great shows and most signors took pictures for free. They are still in business but later on switched over to James Spence for on-site authentication since they couldn't keep up. There were hundreds of folks in attendance at these shows.