Home Sports Talk

This is a sports thread for the older guys...sorry

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sports memories from half a century ago?

Should have made it 49 years I guess as that was when i saw The Cowboys play the Skins at the Cotton Bowl. :o

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

First baseball game was at Tiger Stadium when I was in cub scouts. Probably Summer of '65.

Stunned by the beauty of the lush green field, I looked down at the players warming up and asked the kid next to me, "which one is Willie Mays?" He gave me a strange look as Mays was obviously not playing in the American league park.

I didn't really get into baseball until a couple years later.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont have any memories from 50 years ago!

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@craig44 said:
    I dont have any memories from 50 years ago!

This should be archivable in a decade or two. We will be here when you are ready.

;)

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Tiger Stadium Red Sox vs Detroit Ted Williams was playing the outfield and watching the California Angels the players had flat caps with a halo on top.

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I remember going to a baseball game with my father at Braves field back in the late 40's and seeing Warren Spahn pitch. The only thing I remember about it was the trains near by.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2019 11:15AM

Grote has told this story many times before that he was at Yankee Stadium when Babe Ruth hit his 60th home run.

And Dimeman caught it!

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1968-1969 basketball season. I was thirteen and went to see an ABA game in Denver. Watched the Denver Rockets, and its star, Spencer Haywood play another ABA team.

The "Wood" was magnificent. Too bad he moved on to the NBA and left the Rockets.

I dad to then wait until 1974-1975 for the renamed Denver Nuggets to draft and sign David "Skywalker" Thompson before I saw the next superstar ABA player to wear a Denver uniform.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    The 1968-1969 basketball season. I was thirteen and went to see an ABA game in Denver. Watched the Denver Rockets, and its star, Spencer Haywood play another ABA team.

The "Wood" was magnificent. Too bad he moved on to the NBA and left the Rockets.

I dad to then wait until 1974-1975 for the renamed Denver Nuggets to draft and sign David "Skywalker" Thompson before I saw the next superstar ABA player to wear a Denver uniform.

David Thompson was something. I forget what his vertical leap was.......but I remember him getting injured when he caught his foot in someone's armpit!

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

Not quite 50 yrs ago, but I can remember going to the first game played at Veterans Stadium. A huge park with artificial turf and great sightlines, not matter where your seat was....unlike getting stuck behind the support girders at Connie Mack Stadium. Thought that was the greatest thing ever. My how times have changed!