Home Sports Talk

New York Mets best opening day record across all major sports

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a crazy stat, never knew that. I can’t remember Matt but are you a Mets fan? Who you rooting for in Baseball??

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Paul
    Yup, I'm a Mets fan. Born in Long Island, I lived there till I was 8. I remember watching them on TV and was sad when we moved to Florida. However, I soon found out the Mets held their spring training literally 5 mins from my new home. I was in heaven catching all the games and collecting autos on my programs and foul balls I snagged.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Phillies won today as well.

But the Mets are placed on top in the NL East standings because of alphabetical order.

That really irritates me. 😒

@stevek said:
    The Phillies won today as well.

But the Mets are placed on top in the NL East standings because of alphabetical order.

That really irritates me. 😒

All those nice things I had been saying about lawnmowerman.

I take it all back. 😒

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Degrominator on point again today. I like what the new GM gas dome to improve this tram. Bullpen is better and Cano already paying dividends. Let's go Mets!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

DeGrom now has compiled 30 consecutive starts in which he gas given up 3 runs or fewer. Amazing.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the other 161 that count. ;)B)

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

With Cano playing in the field everyday and not able to take days off as DH, it won't be long before some type of injury.
    DeGrom is just a beast. As a baseball fan, he is one of those guys worth the price of admission....and this coming from a Phillies fan.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

38-12 What an amazing stat. Of course there is a stat for everything

Mets off to a good start.

Ed Kranepool hitting very well I've read.

Another solid game from the Mets, but they are still looking up at the Division leader!!!!

Casey Stengel doing a fine job managing them at this point.

Tight game tonight but another win. I still remember last year's 12-2 start before the swoon so I will temper my enthusiasm but I am happy so far. Alonso and Rosario are both playing really well. This is a young team which bodes well for a promising future, too.

If there's one thing I can't stand is happy Mets fans. 😒

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't heard anything about Harper having a bat flip today

@pocketpiececommems said:
    Haven't heard anything about Harper having a bat flip today

2 for 2 today...with 3 walks.

Tough to do a home run bat flip when they're not pitching to ya. 🤷

deGrom doesn't only pitch shutouts, he hits homers, too. 14 Ks and a HR to boot!

5-1

they have looked good thus far, along with the Phillies. Looking forward to this matchup.

Marv Throneberry having a good season with the bat, although his 27 errors thus far at first base may be seen as a liability.

Marvelous Marv...a blast from the past!

Say "hello" to the first place Mets.

Alonso keeps raking on his way to winning the 2019 NL Rookie of the Year Award.

Mets 5-1 on the road. Very impressive i hate to admit.

@stevek said:
    Mets 5-1 on the road. Very impressive i hate to admit.

But now the Mets are 1-2 at home.

Gotta improve on that if ya want to P*ss in the tall grass with the big dogs in the NL East. ;)

edited April 8, 2019 9:55AM

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

if ya want to P*ss in the tall grass ;)

Sacrilege. Unless of course you hate the guy. Then it's ok.

@lawnmowerman said:

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

if ya want to P*ss in the tall grass ;)

Sacrilege. Unless of course you hate the guy. Then it's ok.

It's a line from the movie Wall Street, spoken by the character Gordon Gekko when referring to needing to step it up.

If the Mets can't win more at home, they simply won't be able to compete this season with the Phillies and Braves. But of course it's early so we shall see.

The Mets could surprise this season, i'm not ruling that out by any means. Have to admire the way they battled back in their last game. They fell behind I think it was 12-2, and battled back to score 8 runs in the last innings, but fell short. However they didn't quit which bodes well for their future, a team with heart.

Mets knock off the Braves again for a 7-1 road record.

Very impressive.

Unfortunately they've got a road series coming up with the Phillies which will bring their road record back down to earth.

Down 4-0 in the 1st inning? No problem, tied 4-4 in the 2nd!

This only works if you don't give up another 4 runs in the next inning, lol..

At least you're not down 10-0 to the stinkin' Marlins. :p

@stevek said:

It's 10-1 now..

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

It's 10-1 now..

10-3 final.

The Phillies fought back. 😴

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

These guys drew more than the mets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_t59To7Snk