Options

How many slabs in your collection?

2»

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Walkerfan said:
    This is a very interesting poll.......I go for quality over quantity. The average cost of the coins in my set is well over $3000. Even still; I am working on my fifth box of 20, so I will have 100 pretty soon.

There are a lot of 4 digit coins in that set, but what a beautiful set of coins that will be when completed!

Thumbs up!!

Thank you very much, DM. The set is actually over 95% complete, already...you just can't tell, as I have 7 key dates and 3 more common dates in NGC slabs....they are in my registry sets ATS. I don't want to go through the trouble of crossing them, Besides, many are in vintage slabs and I don't want to fool with them nor do I play the slab brand loyalty game. Three or four of those coins are low 5 digit coins. Down the road; I will definitely consider cracking them for upgrade and possibly crossing but that would be more of a business decision.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

now zero--too bad I can't change my answer.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    Two safes full :)

What a great luxury it is to be able to keep your coins safe at home! I can't afford to take that risk. My coins are kept in safe deposit boxes. In effect, that means that I can't own more than about 500 slabs, and I have way more safe deposit box space than most people. On the other hand, I always have more room for raw coins.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka ...you do realize the mans home recently burnt down to the ground...surely you didn’t bump an old thread to rub salt, but thought you should know ;)

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2019 1:11AM

At one point, I needed two SDB and probably had close to 400 slabs. Down to about 50 now and total value is probably 10% of what it was at its peak.

Slab size was never an issue for me - I just got a second box at a different bank. My bigger issue was that an uncomfortable percentage of my net worth was tied up in collectible coins and I decided that needed to change.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have my box of 20 gold pieces and then a few miscellaneous slabbed items.

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to my spreadsheet I have exactly 179 slabs.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe 10 currently. Mostly Buffalo nickels and a couple Morgans.

Alot of stuff to unload before I focus on what to buy.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to see if you can get a larger size SDB. I've never calculated how many slabs fit in each of mine but it's gotta be over 500 each easily!

@MrEureka said:

@crazyhounddog said:
    Two safes full :)

What a great luxury it is to be able to keep your coins safe at home! I can't afford to take that risk. My coins are kept in safe deposit boxes. In effect, that means that I can't own more than about 500 slabs, and I have way more safe deposit box space than most people. On the other hand, I always have more room for raw coins.

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 385 ✭✭✭✭

Zero.. Buy in slab so know it is authentic, then bust out and put in album. Like to see them with their less exotic mates.

• Options
    USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

I had over 300 a year ago, I now am playing the one box of 20 and love it.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you want a Common Core Math figure or should I take my socks off to count? ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too many - and no end in sight of it getting smaller.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

I have 25,000 to 30,000 coins and maybe 100 slabs, I usually have coins slabbed for authentication ( mostly Chinese )

If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Five of them!

• Options

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    @MrEureka ...you do realize the mans home recently burnt down to the ground...surely you didn’t bump an old thread to rub salt, but thought you should know ;)

You are correct. I did not intend to rub salt in anyone's wound. But the fact remains that we all know it's risky to keep coins at home, and many of us can't afford that risk. And more to the point of the thread, I think I'd have hundreds more slabs in my collection if I felt comfortable keeping them at home. Or if the slabs were a lot smaller.

Andy Lustig

• Options

I think that if we had an internet forum before we had slabs, and if I had asked the same question, most of us would have had thousands of coins in our collections.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

200+

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

@washingtonrainbows said:
    More than 100 seems like hoarding not sure I would even look at more than 10 or so at a time....

Interesting comment because; correct me if I'm wrong; your 100% complete registry set contains 83 coins alone, have you sold most of the coins in your registry to get down to 10?

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

35 to 40ish... Small collection really..

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    This is a very interesting poll.......I go for quality over quantity. The average cost of the coins in my set is well over $3000. Even still; I am working on my fifth box of 20, so I will have 100 pretty soon.

I'm guessing i Have 200 or so, 60 alone in a Franklin set. I have been working on decreasing that number and going more for quality than quantity

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AngryTurtle
    I really like Franklins and I try to buy nice ones, when I see them.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    284 and counting... Mostly Roosie dimes. :)

In the 15.5 months since I posted this, I went from 284 to 324.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:
    I don't collect slabs, :#
    I didn't buy Playboy to read the articles B)

You missed some good articles! B)

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    @AngryTurtle
    I really like Franklins and I try to buy nice ones, when I see them.

Just by chance most of the slabs in my entire collection (not just Frankies) were purchased in the days before CAC. I have been going through and seeing which pass muster at CAC, and using that as one input on what should be sold. I have not tried most of my Frankies at CAC, as many of them are not that expensive. So far at least I have not sold off an entire collection.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I had the foresight to purchase many Capital # 145, 146 and VPX holders before they were discontinued I have a pretty good stock of them still and will routinely crack coins out of slabs in favor of the Capital holders. IMO most coins look a million times nicer and present far better in a brand new 3 X 3 # 145 Capital holder than in any cheap generic slab. I also have many of the older Capital set holders, but for most coins prefer the single coin holders.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    You need to see if you can get a larger size SDB. I've never calculated how many slabs fit in each of mine but it's gotta be over 500 each easily!

500 slabs would be 25 PCGS boxes or 8 double row boxes. Impressive!

Andy Lustig

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I can't say I have actually measured it. 1 of my boxes has 5 certified sets of Barber Half's in it. There is room in each sets boxes for 7 or more coins each. There is also room for more . I also have different types of boxes...alias I am not utilizing the space as well as I could. I will say the PCGS Boxes waste the most space though.

@MrEureka said:

@amwldcoin said:

500 slabs would be 25 PCGS boxes or 8 double row boxes. Impressive!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file