Home Precious Metals

Question about the 1947 50 Peso Mexico gold coin.

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just bought an 1947 50 Peso Mexico gold coin off the BST. I know that the 1947 coins are restrikes but I was wondering if they are still making them or did they stop making them when they started to make the 1 oz Libertad gold coin in 1981? I always liked the design and at 1.2057 oz they are quite impressive.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

From Liberty Coin:

The Mexico 50 Peso, or Centenario, was first produced in 1921 to commemorate the centennial of Mexico’s independence from Spain. The Centenario was issued every year from 1921 to 1931 and again from 1944 through 1947. Demand was strong for the coin as a bullion issue, so the Mexico City Mint continued to produce gold 50 Pesos with the 1947 date through 1972 and also in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s. Additionally, Commemorative Medallic issues without the 50 Peso denomination were issued in 1943 and several dates in the 1950’s and 1960’s.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    From Liberty Coin:

The Mexico 50 Peso, or Centenario, was first produced in 1921 to commemorate the centennial of Mexico’s independence from Spain. The Centenario was issued every year from 1921 to 1931 and again from 1944 through 1947. Demand was strong for the coin as a bullion issue, so the Mexico City Mint continued to produce gold 50 Pesos with the 1947 date through 1972 and also in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s. Additionally, Commemorative Medallic issues without the 50 Peso denomination were issued in 1943 and several dates in the 1950’s and 1960’s.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. It sounds like they are no longer being produced which makes sense since they now have the Libertad which is essentially the same coin in the 1 oz size.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're likely familiar with this site. If not you can get more info here: en.numista.com/catalogue

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive but hard to unload.

I'd be addicted to them instead of saints otherwise.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:

I paid melt value so I'm not too concerned about being buried in it. I've always wanted one and I'm planning to keep it.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting information to know, thank you for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a fan, I’ve always liked them. I think everyone should own at least one.

• ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭

I love the $50 Pesos. In fact, its the only coin/set I collect. I just need that last key 1921 in a MS65, but, its mucho dinero $$$

Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • davidkdavidk Posts: 274 ✭✭✭

I wouldn’t mind snagging a nice looking 20 Peso with the Mayan calendar on it either.

@davidk said:
    I wouldn’t mind snagging a nice looking 20 Peso with the Mayan calendar on it either.

I picked one up a year ago for melt from the BST. Very neat coin.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up Perry. I flirted with the idea of picking it up a while back when he lowered the price at melt. That coin has some weight to it!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are nice coins... I have been thinking about acquiring one if I can get it at melt....not a priority, but if opportunity knocks.... Cheers, RickO

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

An impressive "stacking" coin is the Austrian 4 ducat.
    They're as big as a Mex 50P but thin as a dime.
    Stacked in a tube is a sight to see. :D

@topstuf said:

These were popular for wearing on a neckless in a bezel since they were large and impressive but only weighed about a 1/4 oz due to being very thin.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the 50 peso. They are really nice looking.

@derryb said:

Anyway of telling if a 1947 is actually a 1947 or one of the subsequent re-strikes in later years with the 1947 date? Asked another way, were the same 1947 dies used for all 1947 dated strikes?

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are nice, very hefty in hand.

@DrBuster said:
    They are nice, very hefty in hand.

Agree, you gotta hold one to really appreciate their size. For those that have never held one, try it next time you are in the coin shop.

edited March 26, 2019 8:21AM

Since the 1947 50 Peso is essentially a bullion coin I can't see paying to get it slabbed so I found a Capital Plastic Company three piece plastic holder for it on eBay.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Since the 1947 50 Peso is essentially a bullion coin I can't see paying to get it slabbed so I found a Capital Plastic Company three piece plastic holder for it on eBay.

Hmmph..... I.... got the SIX pc. Capital holder. :p

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

Austria just rolls all the coins out thin. The maria theresa thalers are bigger and thinner than morgans , even the minors follow that system .Right now I'm holding a 20 kreuzer dated 1760 its almost as big around as a half dollar but only weighs 6.7 grams which is only a little heavier than a quarter. And a 10 kruezer at 3.5 grams is as big around as a us quarter . Maybe the 4 ducat is overlarge and a bit precariously thin especially being almost pure gold and soft but on the small coins its nice to maximize physical size I think.

Austria made an express point to maximize diameter. You might think that would mean they avoided making a ridiculous gold coin like our 13mm gold dollar but not exactly , they actually made a 1/8th ducat gold coin that weighed a tick under a half gram and were around 13mm , you could sneeze and blow a stack of them away.

Actually 13mm is not an uncommon size for gold coins I have some turkish gold that come that way.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    From Liberty Coin:

The late 1990’s issues came out with a rather matte finish that retail customers hated. I spoke with the head of the Mexican Mint’s booth at an ANA convention about the finish and he debird there was any difference.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@CaptHenway said:

@derryb said:
    From Liberty Coin:

The late 1990’s issues came out with a rather matte finish that retail customers hated. I spoke with the head of the Mexican Mint’s booth at an ANA convention about the finish and he debird there was any difference.

every 80 years or so someone forgets that people hate matte finish coins and tries to revive the practice with predictable results

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@topstuf said:

These were popular for wearing on a neckless in a bezel since they were large and impressive but only weighed about a 1/4 oz due to being very thin.

.4438 oz gold content actually and sound weird when you "flip" them because they are so thin. A nice impressive 40mm coin if you're a stacker and can buy them at or below melt. Really popular along with the 1 ducat and 100 Corona restrikes prior to Nixon taking us off the gold standard in 1971 and Ford lifting the ban on owning it in any form in 1974.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Here are a couple of pictures of my 1943 G50P. A one year type with a low mintage of 89,000. No denomination to the left of Winged Victory instead it has the weight on both sides.

Very neat Mexican 50 P gold coin. Are there any theories why they showed the weight twice and left off the denomination? Could it be an error on the part of the mint?

edited March 27, 2019 1:05PM

@PerryHall,

Found the following.....

"The Mexican Government at that time felt there was no reason to add the 50 Peso wording on the coin as it contained far more than 50 pesos in gold. Hence they instead added the wording 37.5 Gr. Oro Puro to the left and the right of Winged Victory."

...at the following website, who knows if true?....

https://bullionexchanges.com/1943-50-peso-mexican-gold-coin

I got it in a trade from John Dowd in Albany, NY a very long time ago raw for about $157, I have a 1947 I bought from Bowers & Ruddy Galleries as part of a six piece set in a Capital plastics holder advertised in their Rare Coin Review that I figure I have about $73 into.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember the TV show "Barney Miller" from the mid to late 1970's? There was an episode where a woman came in to get help because her husband had gone nuts, selling all their possessions and buying gold. He had barricaded himself into the apartment and was carrying a shotgun.

Eventually the squad talked him down and he agreed to sell some of the gold so his wife had money to live on. Sgt. Harris writes him a check for $200 and gets one Mexican 50 Pesos in return.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@CaptHenway said:
    Remember the TV show "Barney Miller" from the mid to late 1970's? There was an episode where a woman came in to get help because her husband had gone nuts, selling all their possessions and buying gold. He had barricaded himself into the apartment and was carrying a shotgun.

Eventually the squad talked him down and he agreed to sell some of the gold so his wife had money to live on. Sgt. Harris writes him a check for $200 and gets one Mexican 50 Pesos in return.

I wonder if Harris wrote about it in that damn book of his

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:
    Here are a couple of pictures of my 1943 G50P. A one year type with a low mintage of 89,000. No denomination to the left of Winged Victory instead it has the weight on both sides.

I like that example!