Home Autographs Forum

Babe Ruth...legit?

I inherited this from my Grandparents. I wish i were paying attention more to the story (youth) but was told this came from a game in St. Louis. My grandfather wrote Babe was "struck out 3 times with this ball." It looks like the ball was signed in a hurry and not on the sweet spot. Does the ball look period , etc? I want to get it authenticated but not if there's any immediate red flags. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not expert but I don't like the look of it. I have seen lots of BRs on baseballs and they all have nice consistent sigs,

We'll see what others say.

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with JBK....not authentic.

• Thanks very much for your opinions. Probably put it back in the drawer then.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

The about autograph authentication is that at the end of the day, no one, not even the experts can tell for sure. They are selling an opinion, so there will always be that small seed of doubt.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only Babe Ruth signatures I have seen don't look like that. I'm no expert but my guess is that it is not a real Babe
    Ruth signature.

All glory is fleeting.
  • matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless it's a really obvious fake, I would send it to PSA. At worst you're out a few bucks but the upside would be high.

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=31477

Link show numerous Ruth autographs.

• Mine doesn't look like the traditional fountain pen poised signature. It looks like something he did on the run in a crowd like the story goes. Kind of hoping that's the case and it genuine but not the ideal example.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

That might well be what happened but if the sig is too far outside of recognized norms then it would be unauthenticatable, whether forgery or not.

If you want to roll the dice then by all means send it to a top company for authentication and see what happens.