Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Saturday Pick Ups - 9/7

PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 7, 2019 4:14PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Always love stopping to look for cards on Saturday before visiting my mom who is in assisted living. So usually out looking for some good deals or something that catches my eye. Last week picked up some Mantles and had my eye on a 54 Jackie Robinson and more Mantles. Picked up the Jackie which I figure at ex-mt. Wish it was centered better but a decent card. The 58 Mantle is a beater but a good price. Same went for the 69 Mantle. A little worse than the one I got last week, but cheaper. Picked up 2 lower grade Bench rookies because well, the price was right. As I was sorting thru the boxes there were a couple cards marked T206. I'm not a pre-war collector but figured I would ask a price. Figured they had to be worth at least $20-30 each and when the price was well below that, I pulled the trigger. Think I did ok on the T206. *)

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

I love threads like this, deals are out there just have to keep looking. Again, sometimes the best deal is no deal but in this case sounds like you didn't have to live that one

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2019 5:54PM

When it comes to Mantle, there are no beaters IMO - so very nice buddy.

Some nice pickups Tim.

The "Shag" Shaughnessy card is very nice - tho he didn't play much in baseball, he was well known as a manager and exec. type. I have a letter somewhere he wrote - he played BB and FB for Notre Dame. How does the back look? What tobacco co. is on the back - Piedmont?

Mike
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    When it comes to Mantle, there are no beaters IMO - so very nice buddy.

Some nice pickups Tim.

The "Shag" Shaughnessy card is very nice - tho he didn't play much in baseball, he was well known as a manager and exec. type. I have a letter somewhere he wrote - he played BB and FB for Notre Dame. How does the back look? What tobacco co. is on the back - Piedmont?

The Shag is a Piedmont back. The entire lot was under 4 bills so I think I did very well!!

The Shag is a Piedmont back. The entire lot was under 4 bills so I think I did very well!!

Very nice!

Are ya gonna send the T206 to PSA?

It's got a bit of paper loss - otherwise a nice card - best of luck Tim.

Mike

@Stone193 said:
    Very nice!

Are ya gonna send the T206 to PSA?

It's got a bit of paper loss - otherwise a nice card - best of luck Tim.

I thought I might send it in. Only ever subbed to PSA so I don't know who might be more forgiving on the grade.

Here are my weekly pick ups for 3/16. Still low grade stuff but some good deals.

Nice 66T Mantle and good centering.

Not all familiar with the T205s

Card store pickups?

Mike

@Stone193 said:
    Nice 66T Mantle and good centering.

Not all familiar with the T205s

Card store pickups?

The 66 Mantle does have decent centering but pretty rough other than that. I am also not too familiar with the T205's but they are fun to pick up. Think I'll be checking out some 33 and 34 Goudey next week. Couldn't pull the trigger on a couple I wanted today. And yes, card store pickups.

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 10:46AM

@Huckleberry said:
    Nowadays, everything has to be 8 or 9 or gem mint. It has to be centered. It has to have no dings or scratches. It has to have razor sharp corners. It has to have a flawless appearance. Its gotten ridiculous.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind have all my Mantles in 8's or 9's but with the price tags that come with those, it's just not going to happen. I prefer just mid grade 4's- 6's for keep for my collection. I also like these lower grade cards and if I sure don't mind amassing multiples of those. I also don't mind having a stack of Mantles versus just one. Now, I will say I have gotten worse about centering the older I get. Way off left to right bothers me. That doesn't mean I won't buy one like that if the price is right!
    I really enjoy the hunt and while there is no card shop in my own town, I travel every Saturday about 70 miles to see my mother so I get to look for stuff for an hour or two. It is allowing me to branch out into some neat stuff as well. I look forward to checking out some Goudey cards next week that I can share on here as well!

Made my normal Saturday run and was going for some 33 Goudey. Had looked at one #29 Foxx last week and passed but regretted it all week. Pick up that one AND another. Left the #154 behind which I will probably regret this week and get next week, lol. Besides the Foxx's, I picked up 3 lower grade "names" and then 2 that were commons and just a tiny bit oc but have razor sharp corners....couldn't pass those up. Had to pay up this week! Hope you all enjoy!

• BishtwBishtw Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Made my normal Saturday run and was going for some 33 Goudey. Had looked at one #29 Foxx last week and passed but regretted it all week. Pick up that one AND another. Left the #154 behind which I will probably regret this week and get next week, lol. Besides the Foxx's, I picked up 3 lower grade "names" and then 2 that were commons and just a tiny bit oc but have razor sharp corners....couldn't pass those up. Had to pay up this week! Hope you all enjoy!

Nice pick ups! You win Saturday with 2 Foxx's.

The corners on the Van Atta and Hass are spectacular!

Good Job.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Redskins Ring of Fame Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

Not Saturday but got these Micks from a fellow board member. Many thanks! And my first and only Cy Young. Not great looking but pretty well centered and it is....well, Cy Young!

So since I picked up the 2 #29 Foxx's on Saturday, they were crying because they missed their buddy. So today I had to make a run and pick up the #154 so they wouldn't be lonely. Picked up some of their buddies as well!

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

As a Yankee fan...lovin those T205's

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
    edited March 26, 2019 8:55PM

And here they are side by side by side.

Now looking at all 3 of them, Mr. Foxx #154 is a bit short in stature. May have been trimmed but if so it appears it would have been years ago.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Cy Young has me drooling! Nice pickups.

Not a lot of time to hunt today. Just picked up a low grade 56 Hank, a decent 67 Hank and a pretty solid Rickey rookie. Also purchased a box of 2019 Hobby Gypsy Queen. Several numbered cards a 1/1 Black Josh Harrison and a #/50 Chrome Juan Soto. Nothing special on the autos.

BTW, that is a hair in the scan on the Ricky....it didn't cost extra

Got some grades back on a few of the cards I sent last month. The 67 Mantle is one I posted a pic on another thread and has the "pink dot". Was hoping for a 7 but wouldn't have been surprised at at 6. Guess it was right on. Really happy about the 58 Mick since it is a beater. Not sure how the 54 Jackie got a straight grade. I didn't ask for no qualifiers but looks like that's what they did. The Shag card I hoped would be a 4 but happy with it as it was my first T206 submission!

1 1 43069537 VERY GOOD 3 1909-11 T206 Piedmont 350 Shag Shaughnessy Card
    2 1 43069538 EXCELLENT 5 1954 Topps 10 Jackie Robinson Card
    3 1 43069539 GOOD 2 1958 Topps 150 Mickey Mantle Card
    4 1 43069540 EXCELLENT-MINT+ 6.5 1967 Topps 150 Mickey Mantle

Not bad. I'm looking forward to the next edition of Saturday pick ups. I can't wait to see what treasures you find.

@doubledragon said:
    Not bad. I'm looking forward to the next edition of Saturday pick ups. I can't wait to see what treasures you find.

Haha, didn't make it last week so I'm looking forward to it as well. Speaking of "treasures", I am contemplating picking up a box of National Treasures. Either that or will look at more 33 Goudey. Unless I'm able to find some other gems

Didn't have a ton of time and wasn't feeling in the mood to search thru vintage for gems so on 4/20, it appears I may have been smoking something with these purchases. Opened the Bowman already. I don't think I got any decent hits but I have no idea what is good and what isn't. I'm holding off on the 17 National Treasures for now. I need more to drink before I decide if I should open that. What do you all think?? Open or not??

Have more to drink, then open! 😉

PSA mail day. Previous Saturday pick ups.

Sweet.🖒

edited August 11, 2019 9:50AM

I was down a couple weeks with a bad back but at it again today. Was short on time and only picked up these three. Digging the Moe even though it's oc. Also got a line on some very sweet 48 Leaf boxing, 1949 Bowman FBI Heroes and some 1952 Topps Wings

So, I have a wedding to go to tomorrow and can't do my normal Saturday run. Instead, I bailed on work and headed out today. Was originally hoping to look at and work a deal for some 48 Leaf boxing but the card shop owner had taken them home to price for me, thinking I was going to be there tomorrow. So, having a pocket full of cash, I had to buy SOMETHING. Looking thru boxes and asking to see what else may be hanging around, I was given some stacks of cards to look thru. Oh, the 60 Mantle AS I saw last week but didn't pick it up so I grabbed that one first thing. I can never get enough Hendo rookies to I bought these two. Now, I don't like BVG at all and have never purchased a card in a BVG holder but looked this one over and it was really nice so I picked it up. In another stack was this 1933 Goudey Ruth. Now, it had been sent to PSA previously and was returned as "altered" but it is still very presentable. I still can't figure out why they return some as altered and holder others as "Authentic Altered". Whoever "altered" it did a horrible job, imo. There are a couple creases and the upper right hand corner, as you can see, is ripped. Either way, it's a decent looking card and it's a Ruth! I have added closer scans of the ripped corner. If anyone can tell me what the alteration is, I would love to know.

I would have ditched work also! Nice pickups. I can't believe you found that Ruth. I would have bought that Ruth even if it had a picture of Santa Claus drawn on the back! Nice Henderson and Mantle too.

@doubledragon said:
    I would have ditched work also! Nice pickups. I can't believe you found that Ruth. I would have bought that Ruth even if it had a picture of Santa Claus drawn on the back! Nice Henderson and Mantle too.

For what I paid, I would have been ok if there would have been a D drawn on it or a bag of nutz drawn on his chin.

So after thinking and reading a post on Net54, I believe the alteration is most likely cleaning or bleaching on the Ruth. I can deal with that!

Picked up a couple Billy Ripkens….need to be ready for he next signing time. Got a scribble variation which I didn't have as well. Then a 54 Bowman Mantle. It's been well loved, but got a good deal on it. Assume a PSA 1 so anything more will be a bonus. Couple creases but not horrible.

• momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

where are ya'll going for all these pick ups? my local flea market never has this kind of stuff...A GOUDEY RUTH?? who just "finds" this.
    please shed some light on where these are being picked up.

@momo1234 said:
    where are ya'll going for all these pick ups? my local flea market never has this kind of stuff...A GOUDEY RUTH?? who just "finds" this.
    please shed some light on where these are being picked up.

Lol, there's a …. not so local coin/card shop about 75 miles from where I live. It's my hometown and my mother still lives there and is in assisted living. I go up there every week to see her and stop at the shop first. It helps that the owner used to work for my father in his shop years ago. I don't think there's a ton of card traffic and there are lots of gems in there. Just have to find them!

Haven't posted a "Saturday Pickup" in over a month and laid low a little before with the National coming. Today I was back at it. I had seen this collection a couple weeks ago. Didn't have time to sort thru it did pick a lot of about 75 or so 61-63 Post and Jell-O baseball. Wasn't anything special so I didn't post it. I knew there were some 52's-55's and wanted to take a shot at those. Thought there were some more 52's but not sure what happened to them. Nothing special there...the Pollet is a black back. The 53's were better condition but I only cherrypicked these 4 for now. Might look at more later. What I was interested in were the Williams cards. The 54 #1 is a beater for sure but price was right. The 54 #250 looks really nice but a small crease in the lower right hand corner. Also priced right. The 55 Kaline and Williams I had to pay a little more than I wanted. The Kaline isn't great but I really liked the Williams so I caved a little on the price for the two combined. It was ok since I felt I had roome from the other cards. Anyhow.... here they are.

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

That 55 Williams is great!
    Curious what you paid on the Ruth ?

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Been about a month since I've posted Saturday Pickups. Today I got a box of 2019 Certified football. Got a freshman fabrics 3 color patch/auto #'d to 99 of Josh Jacobs and redemption Freshman fabric mirror signatures orange of Marquise Brown. Also picked this guy up. Somehow I've never owned one before.

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, that’s a great looking 7!

Jim

• CopperJJCopperJJ Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Enjoyable thread, nice pick ups.

Clayton Kershaw - master set
    Signed Sets:
    2011 Topps Heritage BB
    1960s & 1970s Topps decade Cincinnati Reds
    2006-2016 A&G HOFers

Didn't post last week but picked up a clean box of 1985 Donruss and set it back. Today I searched thru a couple boxes and grabbed a couple cards. Got some decent looking Post football including a Starr, a couple 91 UD McDonald's Jordans that are possible 10's a 2014 Bowman chrome Lucas Giolito green something or other numbered to 150(not pictured) and a box of 2019 Bowman Chrome baseball which I opened about 3 minutes after getting home. Pretty expensive for 3 cards but I think I came out good with the Siani gold auto #'d to 50. Saw one on Ebay with a BIN or best offer of $374.99 that sold via best offer. Not sure how much they got but guessing it was more than I paid for the box. The Seth Beer is solid as well. I do have a question for you guys that deal with new stuff. The Siani that sold was listed as a refractor but doesn't have "refractor" printed on back....nor does mine. Is it really a refractor??